Need some ideas for great books to read - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need some ideas for great books to read Need some ideas for great books to read

Unread 08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Need some ideas for great books to read

I don't know about books to make you laugh, but James Patterson has a wonderful collection of detective novels. The best thing is that they are all available on audio books at the library, so when you are too tired to read, you can still listen. They were a life saver when I couldn't take one more episode of Jerry Springer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2005, 06:03 PM

Another suggestion, if you like the legal genre and haven't already read them, is John Grisham's books. Unfortunately, I read them as fast as he writes them, and he hasn't published a new one lately. They are guaranteed to entertain you.
Unread 08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
This might not be your cup of tea, but....

I started buying the Harry Potter books for my child, hoping to get him excited about reading, but I've ended up being a bigger fan. When the 6th book came out, it was perfect timing as I was home recuperating from my 7/7 TAH/BSO. I read it in less than 2 days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2005, 10:22 AM

I would recommend Greg Maguire. He wrote Wicked, and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. Lots of fun!!!

My surgery is scheduled for Monday. I am looking forward to reading the newest Harry Potter.
Unread 08-09-2005, 07:40 PM

I 2nd the vote for "Skipping Christmas" - it is one of the funniest books I've read. The movie was cute, but didn't do the book justice.

And I'm with Herbsandveggies, I eat up the lawyer books that John Grishom writes as fast as he puts them out. I enjoy James Patterson, as well. My favorite book of his (and one of my favorites of all time) is Suzannes Diary for Nicholas. Although if you are wanting something funny and lighthearted - this is not the book to read!

And if you enjoy something really different - I am an avid fan of Anne Rice. I love to read the Vampire Chronicles and the stories about the Mayfair Witches. It's really not a morbid, or scary story that she tells...just something outside the norm.

Happy Reading! And good luck with your surgery!
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmharmon
I enjoy James Patterson, as well. My favorite book of his (and one of my favorites of all time) is Suzannes Diary for Nicholas. Although if you are wanting something funny and lighthearted - this is not the book to read!
I'm so glad to hear this, because I bought this book before my surgery and haven't started it yet! This will be the book I start on tomorrow!
Unread 08-13-2005, 10:10 AM

the mitford series bu jan karon. spiritual but not preachy and light enough for those woozy times.
Unread 08-13-2005, 03:08 PM

"The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love" by Jill Conner Browne. Totally zany--can't exactly describe it. Set in the Southern US. The SP Queens have a website, too, I think.

"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. A humourous account of a trip along the Appalachian Trail.

"Molvania: a land untouched by modern Dentistry" by Santo Cilauro. This is a spoof on some of the better known travel guides.

Hope this helps,
Laura

PS. Not responsible for any damage to sutures caused by laughing too hard
Unread 08-13-2005, 03:23 PM

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is one of the best books I've read. Also anything by Carl Hiaasen - he wrote Strip Tease, is hilarious. Happy Reading!
Unread 08-13-2005, 03:37 PM

if you have a slightly "off" sense of humor there is chicken poop for the soul

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register