question from a newbie | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question from a newbie question from a newbie

Unread 03-24-2001, 05:44 AM
question from a newbie

why do women decide to keep their ovaries, I had my hysto on 2nd february 2000 normal procedure had a total and also removal of a fibroid the size of an 18 month pregnancy. gynae doctor said best to have this done and I decided to have a total done as ovarian cancer is such a silent one normally and so hard to cure.
when i went ahead and had my hysto [ had put it off for a couple of years - it was the best thing i decided to do, but when i went back for my post op check up i was told that in fact the fibroid was cancerous {leiomyosarcoma]
this nearly knocked me sideways mentally and family and friends too, well its over a year now and having had cat scan - M.r.i's and chest xrays, the doctor is very pleased with me. am I glad that I had a total hystorectomy [ so surprised when women dont do this]/ by the way the cancer that i had apparently is very rare and non detectable, so my advice to anyone sitting on the worry fence of shall i shant i have a hysterectomy or they can manage my fibroids is dont delay. do it straight away. Thanks to God I did.
so I get my worries and fears and still dont always sleep at night with them, find it really hard to keep a lid on them as im sure some of you will relate to, but I am alive to tell my tale.
am doing a counsellors diploma [not just to counsell in cancer] but feel i want to give back to the world to give thanks for being spared.
may you all know the joy of life too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2001, 10:54 AM
question from a newbie

Hello BJoy!! (I just responded to your post on the Chatter board!)
Depending on the woman's age, medical history, and family history a lot of women do keep their ovaries. When I had my hyst. I was 35 and had never had any problems with my ovaries. Ovarian cancer was not an issue in my family and the doctor and I agreed that he would make a final decision during my hyst depending on how my ovaries looked. Either way, we all go through menopause, however there is a question as to what one believes is best....naturally or surgically. I ended up keeping my ovaries, however I am one of the "lucky ones" (NOT) that seems to be having problems with their ovaries actually kicking back into normal gear since surgery.
So, the whole question on keeping the ovaries or not is different for everyone. No matter what, each woman needs to make the best decision for themselves. I am glad to hear that you are so positive with your decision, and even more glad to hear that you are doing so well and being able to give back to others!!! Best of luck in the future to you!!!
Unread 03-24-2001, 02:29 PM
question from a newbie

Hi Bjoy, welcome to this cancer concern forum ,where all the girls here just know how you feel . XXXX. I chose to keep my ovaries as my condition was not related to the ovaries and my gyno said if they looked healthy he would leave them. The worries and fears at night I can relate to , I am still having problems with my abnormal cells and nearly every night I go into overdrive fears and worry. Sometimes I am so scared, but I post here and..... all the love , care and concern pours over me and I feel so much better. Take good care love always x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2001, 04:43 PM
question from a newbie

Hi Bjoy,

I'm so glad you're doing so well. I can imagine what a shock it was but Thank the Lord it was found when it was.

The issue of whether or not to keep the ovaries is a tough one. I know the younger you are, without risk factors present they will try to keep them due to the HRT issue. Its a very hard decision to make as no HRT affects some much worse than others. I, too, consider myself one of the lucky ones as although I do get hot flashes (or my fav nickname - power surges) and night sweats they really are not unmanageble.

How wonderful you're working on helping others. I know that will be very helpful to others going through the same thing.

Take care,
Vicki
Unread 03-26-2001, 09:07 AM
Ovary Pain?

Had a TAH a year ago, kept my ovaries (was 44 at the time). Had no previous problems--Doc also said they looked fine during surgery. Seemed to have no problems after surgery until 2 months ago. Now I have constant throbbing pain, sometimes burning paid on both sides (particularly right side). Am scheduled for an ultrasound next week. Anyone ever experience this?
Unread 03-26-2001, 10:12 PM
Re: Ovary Pain?

Quote:
Originally posted by nascarbabe
Had a TAH a year ago, kept my ovaries (was 44 at the time). Had no previous problems--Doc also said they looked fine during surgery. Seemed to have no problems after surgery until 2 months ago. Now I have constant throbbing pain, sometimes burning paid on both sides (particularly right side). Am scheduled for an ultrasound next week. Anyone ever experience this?

dear nascarbabe
i wish you the very best of luck with the ultrasound hope that everything is okay - havent heard of your problem before, but good job you are getting sorted. let me know how you get along okay. god bless you.
Unread 03-27-2001, 10:52 PM
question from a newbie

Hi Bjoy

I chose to keep my ovaries if they looked good when my doc got in there because ovarian cancer is not a concern in our family but heart disease is and also because I am 37 years old and didn't want the surgical menopause. Well one was covered with cysts(benign) so it had to go but the other one was healthy so I still have one. I do still worry sometimes about ovarian cancer even though cervical and ovarian cancer are not related but the heart disease is a real concern because EVERYONE in both sides of may family has died of it anywhere between the ages of 22 and 76 including my mother at 53.
Unread 03-28-2001, 04:49 AM
question from a newbie

Thanks for your response, lifino. Your reasons were exactly my reasons for keeping my ovaries--but I've been questioning my decision since the pain started. Heart disease is prevalent on my mother's side and my dad's side has high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I had thyroid cancer about 12 years ago, so I always fear the "Big C", but I wasn't ready to go through a surgical menopause. The ultrasound is next week, so hopefully it will be nothing. But I also hate to hear "nothing" when I really feel pain. And, Thanks, BJoy for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you all in my prayers as well.

Kat
nascarbabe

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register