Jitters about morphine pump | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jitters about morphine pump Jitters about morphine pump

Unread 08-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Jitters about morphine pump

My surgery is scheduled for Monday "not sure of time yet" but my doctor told me he will give me the morphine pump as pain management. I never had morphine before and am nervous about what effects it will have on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2005, 05:07 PM

Hi There!

I didn't have morphine in my pump; it was Dilaudid. In hindsight, I wish I would have had morphine, because although the Dilaudid reduced the pain, it did not eliminate it, even though I pushed the button constantly.

From what I have heard from friends and relatives who have had morphine in the hospital, it sounds to me like it's top-notch in relieving pain and producing a sense of euphoria. The downside is, some people (not everyone!)get nauseous from it. (My DH had it after an angioplasty and he was throwing up all night...not pleasant for the nursing staff nor for him.)

I hope it performs well for you! Be sure to ask your doctor any questions you have about it.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 08-10-2005, 05:47 PM

Good luck Monday Missy! My TAH/BSO was a couple years ago and was on the pump. It worked real well. Only side effect was lots of drowsiness which is just what I wanted. Had used the pump twice previously with other surgeries. I remember being so afraid the first time because it seems like such a strong drug (visions of vietnam vets kept coming to me ???) but I had no problems while on it and no problems coming off it. Hopefully you will do well, too! to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2005, 06:18 PM

The pump! One of my children just had a Hysterectomy and had a pump. Hers was set so she could give her self meds when needed. It is set on a timer and you can't overdose yourself.She says"I know the pump had to be short on meds. They said I've taken all they can giveme...I still hurt." I think it's pretty safe, I go in Monday at 6:30am. So looking forward to this. Best of wishes.
Unread 08-10-2005, 06:27 PM

I have had morphine several times. I had it for the TAH/BSO and they also gave me the pump, it was great, took care of all the pain, and gave me a feeling that if I did hurt, I didnt care much. The one side effect for me, was the itching. The nurse warned me that it MIGHT make me itch, on the tip of my nose and the top of my head. Those are the only two places I DIDNT itch. Morphine, still reamins my drug of choice.
snickers
Unread 08-10-2005, 06:49 PM

The pump is timed. Mine was in 20 minute intervals. On my 1st day I didn't use that much. On day 2 since I was more alert I used alot but not enough to get ADDICTED. Don't worry the nurses in the castle are very helpful and ask them how much you used and if you are pumping to much.
Unread 08-10-2005, 09:38 PM

I asked for something other than morphine in my pump. I wish I could remember what it was but it did work. Request something else if you are concerned...one less thing to worry about!

Good Luck,
Mona
Unread 08-10-2005, 09:47 PM

I'm also scheduled to have surgery (TAH) on the 15th.... and will make it clear that I don't want morphine. From past surgeries, I found that I react badly to it.... ie, nausea etc etc.

Hopefully they will have something that will help with pain management and not make me feel sick.

Good luck for Mon - I will be thinking of you.

Unread 08-10-2005, 10:55 PM

I don't remember if I had morphine for my first ovarian cyst removal in 1989 or with my c-section in 1991. I was given morphine in recovery this time and it did nasty things to me! My respiration rate went down to 5-6 breaths per minute and I couldn't wake up. I guess I freaked the nurses out pretty good! I was given 2 doses of something to cancel out the morphine and then they gave me something else in my IV that begins with an "L", but I was pretty out of it and don't remember what it was. I, too, will remember to say "NO MORPHINE" if I ever have to have surgery again.
Unread 08-10-2005, 11:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that I had Demerol in my pump, and it was great! I didn't have any reactions other than being really sleepy, and for those two days I was in the castle, sleeping was the best thing I could do. Talk to your doctor about options if you are concerned. Best of luck!
Beck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register