I want to stretch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I want to stretch I want to stretch

Unread 08-11-2005, 10:09 PM
I want to stretch

In the morning when I wake up, I want to stretch my arms, back and stomach but I am afraid that I may tear something inside. I kind of picture my insides like these delicate webs and weavings that will rip away with any sudden movement. I would love to get back into my yoga tape because it felt so good. Do you think it is ok to do at least gentle stretching at 3 1/2 weeks? I haven't read anything about this type of movement post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2005, 10:40 PM
I want to stretch

Sealover, I would check with my doctor about how much and what kind of stretching is allowed. Gentle or not, yoga is still exercise! Can you try to isolate your back and arms?
Unread 08-11-2005, 10:51 PM
I want to stretch

Sea Lover,
I picture my insides exactly as you do! It's true that it is best to call your doc first...and having said that......I just started stretching this past few days. I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op and did not feel up to it even 1 week ago. I am truly listening to my body and have vowed to not over-do any thing. I have been pretty darn good too. I have been doing my yoga stretches but nothing involving the abdomen. Mostly stretching my arms and legs.......feels sooooo good!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2005, 11:43 PM
I want to stretch

Sea Lover, from what I have seen in this forum, it appears that people who exercise regularly seem to bounce back quickly after the required recovery period. So take proper care of yourself, and follow doctor's orders and you'll be back to your routine in a few more weeks. I hope this helps!
Unread 08-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I want to stretch

Mmmm Nothin better than a big ol mornin stretch! I've just started to enjoy those again about a week ago. Never realized how much I liked 'em till I couldn't do it!
I would ask your DR about the yoga. And... um... how do you find the dicipline to do that stuff? Or any exercise?? I've been tellin myself that as soon as I'm released I'm gonna start walking and doing healthy stuff....sounds good coming out, anyway.

Jennifer ~ you still aint sleepin?! I hope you're getting some rest some where.
Unread 08-12-2005, 04:35 AM
I want to stretch

check with your doc, i was given exercises involving gentle movements of my abdominal muscles at day 2. I also found that i would stretch on waking without realising... nothing untoward happened as a result.
Good luck with the yoga - I went to aqua exercise classes at 6 week, some are aerobic but my favourite ones are based on tai chi and yoga - I found them a great way to stretch and tone everything up again, with the water doing your balancing for you whilst those core muscles get their strength back.

have fun!

Chicky
Unread 08-12-2005, 07:55 AM
I want to stretch

I have experienced an almost involuntary need to stretch before I'm even awake enough to realize what I am doing. I have tried to stop it but the old body just continues to stretch! So far I think everything is fine but I was wondering the same thing about tearing something. It sure feels good to stretch but is terribly hard to control!! LOL!!
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:05 AM
I want to stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda7758
I have experienced an almost involuntary need to stretch before I'm even awake enough to realize what I am doing. I have tried to stop it but the old body just continues to stretch! So far I think everything is fine but I was wondering the same thing about tearing something. It sure feels good to stretch but is terribly hard to control!! LOL!!
JMHO again here, but I don't think we need to worry about that kind of stretching. The kind I worry about people doing is with exercise classes or videos, where the whole point is to increase flexibility and strength in people who haven't just had an operation. I think the normal, gentle, waking-up kind of stretch that comes naturally is pretty safe. So enjoy!
Unread 08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I want to stretch

I had the same fear about the wake-up stretch at first. I would unconsciously start to do a normal stretch, and suddenly feel the post-op pain, and freeze.

Now, a few weeks later, I go ahead, and do whatever morning stretch feels natural, but I just do it a little slower and more carefully than usual. And I certainly have no tried any intentional Yoga-style exercises.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register