Calling all sisters , I need some help - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Calling all sisters , I need some help Calling all sisters , I need some help

Unread 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Calling all sisters , I need some help

I didn't realize this thread was going on until now--I'm so glad I checked it out, because I'm looking into long term pain relief from my PM doctor...and also, like you, getting a bunch of BS from him(my doc)about my meds...it's very frustrating, although I'm still on the good side, since I just started seeing him and he's my first ever PM doc.
It sounds like a relationship, you know? At first, you're in the "honeymoon" stage and then it wears off! These docs are great at first, and then reality sets in.... I hope you get to feeling better...it kind of hits home listening you to you and all these other ladies talk about these years of chronic pain....I've had chronic pain for four years because like an idiot I had 5 surgeries for the endo before I finally had my hyst...but I really thought that was it and it would be over, and here I am...so my "post-hyst" chronic pain has really only been going on for 9 months.........but I'm only 23 and can't imagine living like this for the next 60 years or so...

OK! ENOUGH! I'm bringing myself and probably everyone else down. We'll get through this--I just had the most painful experience of my life (ok, not really the most painful, but I'm a drama queen) going through that stupid nerve injection--but I'm doing my second one this coming up tuesday....all in the name of feeling better and getting rid of this pain. I hope everything gets better for you, and keep on demanding respect and better treatment for yourself! You go, girl!!!
christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2005, 11:24 AM

I'm still on the good side, since I just started seeing him and he's my first ever PM doc.
It sounds like a relationship, you know? At first, you're in the "honeymoon" stage and then it wears off! These docs are great at first, and then reality sets in....

No Kidding! I've been through my share, and truer words have never been spoken.
They seem to have the attitude that if they can't fix it, it musn't be broken
Unread 08-25-2005, 12:57 PM

Christina and Neeny:

The doctor patient relationship IS like any other ... it takes work from both sides. I am blessed to have a true friend in my doctor. I guess I've been his patient for 5 or 6 years. His staff is AWESOME to me.

I lavish praise on them every chance I get because they so deserve it. Yes, its their job to treat a patient with respect and dignity.

Sincere positive reinforcement is crucial, in my experience, to maintain any relationship. You can be just another patient or you can be a VIP, its up to you.

I hope it works for you as well as it has for me. I know its hard to be cheerful when you hurt, but I have found that it makes me feel so good to make someone else's day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2005, 01:52 PM

I AM one to say please, thank you, and sorry to bother you.
I have sent letters, cards, and candy to show my appreciation to the staff in my Drs offices as well as the nurses who have dealt with me during this very long ordeal.
It has been my experience however, after a while, when the docs get mystified, or you are taking too much of their time, they wash their hands of you.
Please see my previous posts, and maybe you'll understand why I feel so strongly about this.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=216455
Unread 08-25-2005, 03:19 PM

Oh, I did not mean anything by my comments, just sharing what has worked well for me. So, I fully appologize if I said anything that you found offensive.

Also, I'm truly sorry that your doctor doesn't have the stamina to see this through with you in a kind and compassionate manner. I have experienced a doctor who gave me the brush off after initially being nice. Its confusing at best.

I'll read your posts and again, I am sorry.
Unread 08-25-2005, 05:07 PM

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are feeling better, BillSweetie. I started a part-time job this week and I am sooooo tired and in pain. I slept all day today, even though my house is literally a pig-pen. Tomorrow id cleaning day. Then rest up for a big wedding Sat. My Mom volunteered me to sing at the ceremony. I am so very nervous. At least I can look at my music!
And I actually have a date Sunday night! I hate 1st dates. I never know when to talk about my back or my hysterectomy. At least I know this man doesn't want any more kids, so no problem with him.

Take care ladies,

Maria
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:46 AM

A date and a new job all in one week. Wow! That's enough to stress anyone out. How did it go?

Luckily, I am not in the dating game. Don't think I could handle it. LOL! Have a DBF that has been with me through my hyst and everything after. He does have his moments when I'd like to strangle him, but doesn't everyone?

I have/had been feeling better and even babysat my 2 1/2 mo. old grandbaby yesterday. Today I could barely get out of bed. Not pain so much as just felt as if I couldn't wake up for the life of me. Who knows?!?!

Hope you (Maria) and everyone else is doing well this week!
Unread 08-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Hi,

Well, the new job is going okay, but I wasn't able to go on the date, boo hoo. I had a wedding Sat. and wound up in bed all day yesterday and today with an awful headache and pin in my legs.

Luckily, he hasn't seemed to lose interest in me.

Hope you are okay.

Maria
Unread 08-29-2005, 11:40 PM

(((BillSweetie))),

Yes, you really have been an inspiration for me in the past. A few months ago on a different thread, you explained to me what PM is and said that I deserved not to be in pain! . Yes, it's good days and bad days--and you do have to take it in stride, because there isn't much we can do about it! The not knowing how I'm going to feel aspect of this is really frustrating for me. It's hard to make plans. You lift something one day, and the next day you are exhausted and/or in too much pain to do anything. So, I tend not to commit to anything and then end up feeling isolated. BTW, congratulations on the new grandbaby! How could you keep yourself from holding him or her?!

I thought of you today, as I was getting my second round of "selective nerve root blocks," (4 of them) and I heard the doc talking to another patient about his SI problems. He was saying that they may have to "do something about that" soon. Wish I'd heard what that something was!

Neenie, Christina, Michelle...I can relate to you all about relationships with PM docs. It's so hard, because you really *need* them, and pain is such a complicated issue. The first doc I went to basically said that I shouldn't be feeling the way I feel, and need to start exercizing more. I asked him for an MRI and he said that he wouldn't order one, and that I'd have to pay for it if I wanted it. The second doc was *super* nice at the first visit, and then basically called me a vicodin addict at my second visit. I'd had bad reactions (I'm really sensitive to drugs) to the morphine and fentanyl patches we tried. It seemed to make him mad that these drugs didn't help me and made me feel sick.

Then I got a referral from another of my docs to my current PM doc. He's over an hour away, but is totally worth the drive. And he and his staff definitely deserve all the praise and appreciation I can give. One of the first things he said is that everyone has the right to have their pain treated. And even if you are an addict, you still have that right...you just have to be monitored much more closely. He also said that after 3 or 4 days of taking narcotics the body *always* becomes dependent. So, so what?! He asked me why the heck no one had given me a work-up yet, and ordered an MRI for me right away. And we found that I have DDD, spinal stenosis and an osteophyte. OMG, was that ever validating! He sent me to the anesthesiologist who was one of the 3 docs who invented the technique of putting the camera on the needle, so that they can see *exactly* where that needle is. And this guy is a 2 hour drive and really gruff, but apparently he leaves "no stone unturned," and really works hard at pinpointing exactly where the pain is coming from. These 2 docs are both very passionate about what they do and *really* care about people. Imagine that! It's so sad that you don't find that kind of doc very often, isn't it? My second doc did *no* physical exam and didn't order any tests. He told me that he gets a "viente" at Starbucks every morning, but that you couldn't get him out of bed on a Sunday to go get one because he'd rather sleep in. So, the fact that he enjoyed his coffee so much and it gave him an boost (which he didn't need on Sundays), somehow means that he's not a coffee addict, but that I am a vicodin addict because I take it everyday. I'm sure he'd get his lazy butt out of bed if that coffee relieved terrible pain!!! What a wierdo. I found out later that he is a spokesman for Duragesic (the fentanyl patch). Hmmm...

Sorry so long. I think that the verced (?) and whatever else they put in my IV today is taking it's sweet time wearing off, and I'm still a little loopy!

Maria, let us know what happens on that date! How did you do with your singing? You must be really good.

Margot
Unread 08-30-2005, 01:35 AM

Hi Ladies, (((((((((Margot and BillSweetie))))))))))

Margot,

I can relate to your problems with PM docs. I have had 3, before I found one I love. I had one that told me I shouldn't be doing research on my problems. He also wouldn't prescribe opioids. Then he prescribed Fentynal before morphine, which I understand is a nono.One I asked if breast reduction might help my pain and he told me "you are broad shouldered and strong, You look strong enough to carry those things around". I was so upset. I didn't ask him if I looked strong enough to carry "thise things around", I asked him if it might help.I wrote a letter to his boss, my surgeon and the head of the Pain Dept. and the head of Ortho. needless to say, due to my complaint and others, he is no longer at the hosp.

I get nerve root inj. for my neck. I am due for one soon. MY doc only does one side at a time. I wish he could do both. I was on fentynal after morphine, and I love it, but the patches just fall off no matter what I do. I am now on OxyContin. I take OxyIR for break thru. I also have a spinal cord stimulator which really helps.

I really haven't felt well since my hysterectomy. I've gained 30 lbs. and am getting awful headaches and nausea. I am also throwing up a lot. I have been in bed for 2 days with this headache. Tonight I threw up again. I am kind of wondering what the Doctor will say.

Take care y'all.

Love,

Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register