pre op start tomorrow any suggestions on making golytely go easier???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op start tomorrow any suggestions on making golytely go easier???? pre op start tomorrow any suggestions on making golytely go easier????

Unread 03-25-2001, 08:51 AM
pre op start tomorrow any suggestions on making golytely go easier????

my doctor says normally he does not have bowl prep, but due to my history, had to have part of intestine and bowl removed when they took my ovary and tube last time due to endo, he wants me really clean, in case he has to do other work in there, i have heard this drink is horrible, any one got good suggestions to make it any easier?? i have read about putting it on ice and locking myself in the bathroom till its gone!!! have a quart jar ready to take in with me!!!! right now i am freading this more than the operation itself!! my last operation was emergency so i didnt have to do this prep. thanks for your replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2001, 09:16 AM
"this too shall pass"...and that's no kidding!

Hi! I didn't have to do a GoLytle for my TVH/BSO but did for a colonoscopy. It is not fun but you'll get through it and then you will feel so selfrighteously "clean" you won't believe it!
My doctor's instructions were to get it real cold so the taste wouldn't be so bad BUT, when you started drinking it, leave it out on the counter. It will warm up and you won't get chilled by the time you are finished with it! I was still chilly but I think I would have been way-shivvery if I hadn't done that.

As my dad said about anything we had to do that was necessary and unpleasant...it was "CHARACTER BUILDING!"

Keep on gathering information and be sure to talk over everything with your doctor!

My best to you...
Unread 03-25-2001, 10:53 AM

If you look toward the end of the pre-op post list we were discussing bowel preps extensively for a couple of days. It is still there, it was after the crash.

Basically, after you drink the required "Gak" make sure you are prepared. Use some vasoline or A&D ointment on your bottom or it will be really sore. A group of call it a "Bum Bomb" for a reason.

Drink a lot of liquids! You will get dehydrated!

Water is good, juice and broth is good. But you need to slosh!

Everyone deals with it differently, but the last time, I spent all day running to the bathroom. I was still at it eight hours later.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2001, 10:53 AM
golytely tips

I did keep it cold as I found the taste more annoying than the cold. I have a portable electric space heater in my bathroom and wore layers on top. Don't wear layers on the bottom (other than socks and wooly slippers) as you'll want to get out of your pants in a hurry once things start. It's your choice how cold you want to be; depends on how good you are at gulping the stuff past your tastebuds.

My doctor had me start 3 p.m. the afternoon before surgery so I could be all done by 9 p.m. and get a good night's sleep.

Bring several books. I found I did want to take very short walks between "waves" but you have to RUN the five feet back to the bathroom and may leave your book behind out in the hall, so you need spares. Plus if one book turns out to be disappointing, you'll have a backup. You really don't want to wind up with nothing to read.

You can't sit on the potty the whole time; your behind will go to sleep. But don't go far.

Use Kleenex Cottonelle flushable moist wipes instead of toilet paper. I found even alcohol-free baby wipes to be too abrasive and they stung a little bit. Some sisters have said a little A&D ointment is nice, too.

Eat liquids the day of. Drink like a fish so you'll be well-hydrated. Then, when things start to go, there's nothing plugging you up and causing uncomfortable pressure.

Get everybody out of the house. You're going to want privacy. And you're certainly not going to want to smell their dinner while you're drinking salted antifreeze.

It wasn't all that bad except for the flavor (I found the lemon-lime flavored Nulytely to be the best but some doctors will let you put a small amount of Crystal Lite in the unflavored GoLytely). And it distracts you from your worries the night before your surgery.

If your doctor allows you to have clear fluids (at least water) after you're done, do so. You want to be well-hydrated when the nurse goes looking for veins to stick the IV in in the morning and they ask for that final urine sample.

You'll be fine.
Unread 03-25-2001, 01:38 PM
Helpful hints

Three weeks ago today I had to drink my gallon of Golytely. The best tips I can offer are to eat very lightly the day before...lots of fluids, so what comes out is pretty soft. Keep it cold at first, but leave it on the counter or you will be frozen. Keep shaking it, or the stuff you need settles in the bottom and the last few glasses are GROSS. I had the cherry, but I don't think the taste matters.

The main tip that helped me is: USE A STRAW!!! Fill up an 8 oz glass, stick a straw in it, hold your nose, and suck it all up in two or three big sips!!!! If I had to actually taste it on my tongue I'd never have gotten it down. And set your kitchen timer for the next one. (I think it was every 15 minutes)

I can't say that my reaction to it was as explosive as some people here report...it was really not that bad. Try to think of it as the first step to getting this all over with. And do get some soft wipes...your bottom will thank you.

It's not that bad...just gotta do it. Character building it is!!!

Lots of luck...

Karen
Unread 03-25-2001, 02:29 PM

I am doing an enema for my surgery, but when I had my colonoscopy, I had to drink that Fleet stuff.
The best thing to do is "chase" it with white grape juice! Makes it somewhat tolerable.

Good Luck
Unread 03-25-2001, 04:37 PM

oh thank you all so much for replying!!!!! you are certainly getting me over a mountain here with your advice. got all my precriptions filled, have 10 antibiotics i have to take tomorrow also, he is really preparing for bowel or intestine problems with this endo. better to be safe than sorry though. thanks again, very much.
Unread 03-26-2001, 06:07 AM

I had to use the golytley for a colonoscopy about a year ago. The nurse at my doctor's office gave me the best advise. She said to have a roll of peppermint life savers with me to suck on to help with nasua from drinking the foul stuff. It helped a lot. Check with your doctor before using this trick - he may reccommend against it, but it sure did help me.
Unread 03-26-2001, 06:31 AM

My doctor allowed me to mix some cranapple juice in with the golightly. It did help it go down easier. Also they told me to make it easier the day before, eat very lightly and start clear liquids only the night before. This worked very well! I ended up only drinking 3/4 of the solution and was "clean" after only 3 hours. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register