wear wedding ring to hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

wear wedding ring to hospital? wear wedding ring to hospital?

Unread 08-14-2005, 09:06 PM
wear wedding ring to hospital?

Hi: When the hospital-stay instructions say to leave valuables at home, does that mean one's wedding ring? Actually, I'm thinking of not wearing my gold wedding band (no diamonds or gems involved) because I'm afraid it might become too tight on my finger if my IV infiltrates or something else makes my hand swell up (it's happened to me before --- back when I didn't have a wedding ring). But, I feel odd without my wedding ring, as my persona is so tightly tied to my being a married woman. I think I would feel even more weird without it on an ob-gyn surg unit. What do you think? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 09:08 PM

I have worn my weding ring during previous surgery. Pre-op the nurse just put some surgical tape over it.
Unread 08-14-2005, 09:24 PM

If they don't let you wear it (I wasn't allowed to), maybe your DH could hold onto it for you, and then you could put it back on after the surgery. At that point, the hospital is just worried about liability and don't want to be held responsible if anything happens to that ring.

Best wishes for your surgery!

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 09:26 PM
why?

Why did the nurse put tape over it? To keep if from falling off? Hide it?
Unread 08-14-2005, 09:28 PM

bungipeep,
During my surgeries, they did not allow any rings at all. But, I didn't feel comfortable not wearing it at all, so I did as ((smargie)) did and had my DH to keep it until I was wide awake after the hyst. Hugs to you!
Unread 08-14-2005, 09:55 PM

Hi Bingipeep,

I have always been able to wear my ring during any surgery but they always put tape over it . Not sure why!

Take care......Karen
Unread 08-14-2005, 10:08 PM

I wasn't allowed any jewelery of any kind during my surgery. But once I was awake I had my dh put my necklace on that holds my cross and I also put put my wedding ring on my necklace just in case my fingers swelled.
Unread 08-14-2005, 10:14 PM

I wasn't allowed any jewelry at all. I'm just as married without my ring so I left it home.

It sounds really cynical, but there truly are some criminals out there -- why chance losing something while you're sedated or asleep?
Unread 08-14-2005, 10:38 PM

i tell youwhat-leave everything at home-even tiny earrings....i forgot i had my toe rings still on-thought nothing about it-no big deal, but it WAS a big deal-i hadn't taken them off in 10 years-so i forgot they were there-but anything constricting may not come off-the body tends to swell as an interacting side affect from the gas or meds they give you-they gave the rings to my hubby when the took em off, but who's to say they would return a wedding ring? keep em at home-you know they'll be there for you when you get back.
Unread 08-14-2005, 11:42 PM

I left my wedding ring at home. During my second surgery, the IV was infiltrated and my entire hand and arm swelled up. I still can't wear my wedding ring yet at almost six weeks post op. My hand and forearm keep swelling at night. I miss wearing it, but it also makes me wonder when this swelling will stop.

Patti

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register