Anyone have to stop working? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have to stop working? Anyone have to stop working?

Unread 08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Anyone have to stop working?

Is there anybody who has had to stop working for awhile? My diagnosis is PFD (so far, more tests on the way)and it is killing me to sit at my job for 6 hours a day. When I have a day off, I get better and then when I go back to work, I am worse.

My finances are only going to let me take about a month off but I feel it's time. I have been battling this since surgery and working in pain. It has caused chronic stress. Being a single mom too and having the responsibility of paying all the bills is rough. But I think I have made the right decision to stop work for awhile and work on my health. I need to go to PT more often than every 2 weeks. It's out of town so it's been hard to do this and work too, plus my hours at work just went to 6 days a week.

I know I am not going to be well in a month, the PT therapist said it's going to take a long time. Has anyone went on social securtiy disability before? I heard it takes 6 months to get that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 11:10 AM

((((Poofy)))) I'm so sorry you've been in so much pain and having such a hard time since your hyst While I haven't been in a situation where I've had to take extended leave, I know that there are many others who have recently posted about going that route. Hopefully, they'll be along to share some insight on the issue.

While being off work for a month may not "cure" you, it may be enough to help you recover to the point that you can stand working full weeks, again.

One thing you may want to consider, is going to back to work part time. This would be easier on your finances, of course, and may be a way to ease into a normal routine.

Another thing you can do is inquire about programs available to you both in your state and within your organization. You never know until you ask, what the possibilities are.

Sending lots of s your way. Please, do keep us posted.
Unread 08-20-2005, 05:39 PM

Thanks Dany for your reply. I am afraid that I am at a dead end with my job being that I am a government temporary employee and I have no benefits. I can't work less hours, it is their policy. It is a sitting job (entirely) which is a big no no for me with PFD. I can get up only once every hour and I am typing constantly. There is no food or drink allowed on the work room floor so I have to drink my water and try to make it to the bathroom in the 5 minutes I am allowed every hour. This I believe is why I am not progressing in my treatment. I know that one month is not going to cure me and make this go away, I read it takes at least 6 months. If I can't work because of medical conditions then I can't receive unemployment either. If they were not to rehire me in September (I get fired and rehired every year being a temporary employee) then I could get unemployment for 6 months as long as I wasn't let go because of medical reasons. I already know that they will be rehiring me. So, I guess the best I can do is to take this month and go from there. I do need to check into the only disability that I would have and that would be social security. I don't know how to do that yet.

I not only have the PFD but now depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue, and high blood pressure. All from stress. When my pain is not bad, l make myself well aware of that and I count my blessings every day.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on about my troubles. If there is anyone who has been through the social security disability procedures, I sure could use a word or two about that. For now, it's going to be a month to get myself straightened out enough to go back to work for awhile.

Thank you again Dany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Poofy,

I really feel for you! I have not been able to go back to work since my hyst in 2002 and things are getting worse...not better. I am in PM, but even with that I don't see myself working a full-time job anytime in the future. I, too, am a single mom and child support is random. I don't know much about the disability process, but will soon find out as I feel it is my only option. I'll keep ya posted and hopefully someone will come along soon with some info for both of us! In the meantime here is some and s!! BTW, what is PFD?
Unread 08-21-2005, 06:55 PM

BillsSweetie68,
PFD is pelvic floor dysfunction. The pelvic muscles have been damaged and are in spasm for me. Problems with urination and soreness most all the time, abdominal pain, vaginal pain, back pain. I have been put on so many restrictions, no exercise what so ever, walking but no swinging of the arms, no yard work at all ( that was my stress relief before), no going up steps quickly. I have to ice twice a day and sometimes more and wear a special belt around my hips to try to keep myself stabilized. I am going to take this month off to work more on my physical therapy and to learn to take better care. I might need to long term disability if going back to work and doing all that sitting is going to put me back again. It's really hard to be around a bunch of people also when your'e feeling so bad. I feel like I need some isolation for awhile. Thank you for sending your comfort and keep me posted and I will do the same.
Unread 08-22-2005, 10:52 AM

((Poofy))

Has the State of NC heard of the American's with Disabilities Act? I think they have to accomodate you or switch you to a job with equal pay that can accomodate your disability.

I encourage you to speak with your HR manager, even if by phone. I think you will find a way to continue to work a reduced schedule or even be a bit more accomodated.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends/family. Don't be afraid to ask your elected state officials for their help in getting this matter resolved, if not for you then for the next state employee with chronic pain.

Best wishes to you!! Keep us posted!

Unread 08-22-2005, 07:40 PM

I never heard of the American's with Disabilities Act but will do my research. I am a temporary employee so I don't know if that changes any of the rules. If I can't go to less hours a day when I get back from my month away, I know for sure I am getting a note from the doctor to go to the bathroom whenever and as often as I please.

Thanks
Unread 08-22-2005, 07:54 PM

If you find out anything please let me know. I had my surgery in Aug and was back at work one week post op due to fear of losing my job. Then Itook a half day for my two week check up and I was FIRED "for missing work". I am desperatly searching the laws in florida. They make it hard here to collect unemployment. and I'm still not sure if what my boss did was legal.
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:21 PM

((hippchick)) I am so sorry that happened to you. I just did a google search on the Americans with Disablities Act. They list a toll free number to call for questions. I have never collected unemployment so I don't know anything but what I have heard which was if you quit a job you can't collect unemployment but if you are FIRED you can. That's all I know. Maybe call the number and they can either answer your question or send you in the right direction. I will do the same.
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the advise - good luck to you I will keep you in my prayers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register