Gosh, I've Missed You All! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > B.E.S.T.-(Better Eaters Support Team)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gosh, I've Missed You All! Gosh, I've Missed You All!

Unread 08-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Gosh, I've Missed You All!

I've been so swamped, both with work to do at home and at work-work, plus my mind has been goin' thru "them changes" -- with the metamorphosis (continuing) of my DS with his new lungs, and spending lots of time with him in clinic and in the hospital, I tell you what, ladies, it is OVERwhelming! I try my best to stay OP, but gosh, there's times that the only fun is food! Is that ever the way with you? Very very much of a struggle, every minute of every hour...

I think that exercise is so important, too. Part of this confinement is that there is very little for parents to do but sit and eat. Bad deal when a hospital is supposed to heal sick people, but the available foods for parents and kids, mostly is yukky, unhealthy junk food! and I hate to complain in a non-positive way, but good grief! Thank goodness there is a Starbucks right across the street, where I can get non-fat lattes and good coffee, but it's high dollar, after awhile...and one can only drink so much coffee, even decaf!

So the fare I have tried to choose is fruit, salads with dressing not made from yukky stuff, grilled food, sashimi & Japanese fare, Chipotle burrito bowls with no tortilla, no sour cream or cheese, or guac ('cuz I'm allergic, mainly) - which works, but for days on end? Ah, would I go for a homemade meal??? YES!

Enough complaining already -- DS's lungs are still well, but his incision-infection is still resolving, and the "bug" in it is a slow-growing thing that will take a long-term medication to eradicate...so we go home with an IV line, once again, and I become MOM-the nurse. But in our home we can have healthy food, sleep in our own beds, see our doggy, and hey, "I'll take that one!" yes, I will -- and we will be just fine!

So I do love reading what ya'll have to say, 'cuz we all have to fight these bulges and eat right -- keep your eye on the ball! F-O-C-U-S... yes'm!

s to all of you! -WT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 02:05 AM

Hi Ellen!

It is hard to be torn all over the place, you just can't do all of it as well as you can do one or two.
It will be great to have your DS home as soon as he is well enough to be there, and then you can concentrate on him, you and home, all in one base!
s to you and yours, you're nearly there girl!!

Unread 08-20-2005, 04:01 AM

Big s to you Ellen. So sorry to read about DS infection. Hopefully you can all be home soon! Ellen do you travel back and forth to the hospital or do you stay there? If you travel back and forth can you pack a cooler with healthy foods and take it with you? If you stay at the hospital is there a supermarket near by where you can stock up on food and keep it in a cooler?
Just a thought.

Very early here. Don't know what kind of weather the day will bring it is still dark outside. Too early to get a jump start on Saturday chores. I don't think my family would appreciate me crashing around at this hour.
Don't know what my food plan is for today the cupboards are bare. I will plan my meals for the week when I get off here and make a shopping list. I have gotten away from planning my meals and have found that it does make a difference in the way I eat. I find myself winging it most of the time and that of course leads to some not so healthy choices.
Good morning to all that follow.
Hey Melissa you leave for your vacation soon don't you?

Bye for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 07:58 AM

Ellen...

This has just been a challenging year for you and your DS... with each phase posing it's own set of challenges.

First... congrats that the operation went well & that -- for the most part -- he's doing well. Now to have that infection heal... so glad to hear that he'll be able to head back home. How's his spirits doing??

I can understand trying to fit everything in and struggling to eat healthy and keep fit. I would think that giving the hospital your feedback on their food choices would be helpful... who knows, maybe they'll make some changes

I also like Val's idea as well... just packing food to bring with you... if that doesn't add another thing to your already long list.

Only thought I have for the exercise is to use the steps versus the elevator while at the hospital...

Hoping that your life calms down some... and that you take some time for yourself every so often... constant stress is not good...

I'll keep you and your DS in my prayers...

Sue
Unread 08-20-2005, 08:15 AM

Hi Ellen,
It is so good to see you posting. I am glad your sons new lungs are doing well and pray that this incision infection will clear up soon. Sometimes we all need to vent and talk to someone away from our situation and I hope that it helps that all of us are here to listen and support you. It must be terribley difficult not to have the proper food choices and not being able to work out. Is the hospital in a safe enough neighborhood that would allow you to go out and walk around the block or even in a nearby park?
Anyway, once you get your DS home, even though you will still be fighting the infection you will maybe get back to some kind of normalcy and be able to get in some excersise then. Of course food will be good because you will be supplying your own then, and from the sounds of some of your menus you make very good choices. ;-)
Please take care of yourself .
Unread 08-20-2005, 09:25 AM

Good morning -

Ellen - I so understand getting wond up in being a hospital mom...and a hospital with yucky, unhealthy food??? that's the pits!

You'll be home soon...visit us when you get a chance.

S
bliss
Unread 08-20-2005, 10:35 AM

Dear Ellen,
Hoping you and your DH can come home very soon. Sorry re the incision infection but TG the lungs are working well, etc.
Know what you mean re emotional eating, lousy hospital food,etc. Just last month I spent a week+ with my niece and BIL, who landed up in IC unit for over 14 days following a double by-pass. Niece did lots of emotional eating with aunt in tow and sometimes it is just a necessary evil.
I know you will cook healthy meals once back home and may even find a bit of time for exercise perhaps if only a walk to relieve some stress.
Hang in there. I will keep DS and you in prayer.
s, peggiesue
Unread 08-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Wow You All are The BEST-est!

Great suggestions, all!

I have plans today to get DS out and walking the skybridges around here. That should help. It'll be HOT-HOT-HOT today in Houston, so it's nice to have indoor walkways... I am camping out here, since we live over 40 miles away, the gas (at these prices) would get expensive with all the round trips. I do bring some food in, but space and such is limited. Today I had a HB egg, some oatmeal (not MY oatmeal, but it was passable), a banana, and am still waiting on getting coffee! I thought we could include getting coffee in our walk...

You all are right on about the suggestions, and really, as long as we are getting close to healing and discharge, that is the most important thing.

Love reading about what you all are doing -- and you give me lots of great ideas and support! THANKS so much, everyone! Bless you all!

s to all of you !!!!!!
Unread 08-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Ellen,

Saw your post and just wanted to send a quick hello! It was nice to see your post!

Glad to hear your son is recovering, all be it slowly. I hope the infection clears up soon. Prayers are still sent your way as you take each day of his recovery as it comes!

Best wishes,

Sarah

Unread 08-21-2005, 05:42 AM

Ellen~ I certainly am hoping that your DS is doing better with that infection today and you get to take him home very soon!! I can only imagine how tough it must be trying to be OP with all that going on!

's to you all!!!

Take Care, Dawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register