Smoking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Smoking

How many of you smoked before your diagnosis?

I did and haven't smoked since my diagnosis last Tuesday.

While I know smoking is bad for you but I really doubt that the smoking had anything to do with my diagnosis.

Did anyone continue to smoke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Smoking

Hi Tracy:

Unless you have lung cancer, I doubt that smoking had anything to do with your diagnosis.

Congratulations to you on giving up smoking though. You owe it to yourself and those who love you to be kinder to your body. When the withdrawal part is over, you will feel better for it. My husband is currently trying to quit, and it is not easy, so I sympathize with you.

You can do this!

Blessings
Unread 08-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Smoking

I smoked for twenty five years before quitting nine years ago. One of the first questions I was asked after being diagnosed with cervical cancer was if I smoked. They told me if this cancer recurs, it shows up in the vaginal cuff, lungs or lymph nodes, so smoking for me would have put me at more risk.

How are you doing? When I finally decided I wanted to really quit (I don't know how many times I tried), it was easier than I thought it would be. That doesn't mean it was easy, though. I consider it sort of a miracle that I COULD quit. I really liked smoking. I used to say that I would start smoking again when I reached 85 years old, but I'm not interested in starting anymore. I still get the urge, but it's easy to talk it down now.

Quitting is really a resolve not to pick up one cigarette, ever. At least it was for me. I hope you have that resolve and will do it! I'm rooting for you! You will just love the fact that you did it! Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Smoking

I am so glad that you quit, and so sorry about your diagnosis.

I have never smoked (though was exposed throughout childhood to second-hand smoke).

It is well documented that smoking increases the risk of cervical cancer - please tell all your friends to quit and also to have a pap smear

good luck with it all xxx

(BTW smoking has been linked to increased risk of other cancers too - lung, breast, kidney, stomach, bowel, oesophagus, mouth and nose. Also increased risk of heart disease, stroke, emphysema, and peripheral vascular disease. This is not just controlling/bossy doctor-speak conspiracy, it is actually true. On the other had, there is some evidence that smoking may decrease the severity of attacks for those who have the rare condition of ulcerative colitis, and it is possible that it decreases the incidence of certain neurological diseases. Overall, however, smoking appears to do far more harm than good.)
Unread 08-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Smoking

I congratulate you on quitting smoking. Keep up the good work. It's difficult to do, but it will benefit your health and your pocketbook enormously in the long-run.

I agree, smoking is a hazard in terms of cancer risk. You shouldn't blame yourself though. Just think of all the other cancer causing crap we get exposed to each day!

Other benefits of quitting smoking are you'll do better with healing and breathing post-operatively. Also, smoking could potentially increase your risk of blood clots in the legs/lungs- so now your risk is lower for all of this.

I encourage you to put the money you would otherwise spend on cigarrettes aside, and then use it periodically to treat yourself to something nice- a spa day, shopping, or chocolate. Mmmm chocolate!!!

Take care and I wish you all the best.
-millie
Unread 08-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Smoking

It might be surprising for some of you to learn that smoking actually REDUCES the risk of endometrial cancer since in the majority of cases it is an estrogen-fueled cancer and smoking lowers circulating estrogen levels. Of course, I'm not advocating smoking to prevent endometrial cancer! Just thought you might find it an interesting piece of information.

After my endometrial cancer diagnosis, I jokingly said to my husband, "Gee, if you hadn't gotten me to quit smoking when we got married, I might not have developed this cancer." He just ask jokingly responded, "So, would you prefer lung cancer?" I said "If I have to choose, I guess I'll take endometrial cancer, although you're really giving me a lousy choice to make, you know."

Regards to all,

MoeKay
Unread 08-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Smoking

When I quit smoking, I did put the money I was spending on cigarettes ($120 per month) into a kitty as Millie B suggests. I didn't treat myself to chocolate because weight gain was an issue after I quit, but I did eventually save enough to buy a trip to Hawaii. And when my son was moving to Hawaii to attend an alternative health care center, I was able to help him with the tuition with my cigarette money. I kept this up for seven years and used the money for other short trips, more expensive clothes that I wouldn't normally buy, gifts for friends, etc. I always kept it in a special tin so I would be reminded that this was money I would have otherwise just literally burned up.

Again, good luck beating this addiction today and every day! We're rooting for you!
Unread 08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Smoking

Hi Tracy,
I smoked for over 30 years and quit 3 1/2 years ago, cold turkey, when I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I basically stopped because I was scared to death and at that time was having problems breathing due to the fluid buildup in my abdomen.
I agree with Number9 and do not feel that smoking caused my cancer in any way but then again they blame smoking of everything so who really knows for sure.
For those of you trying to quit, my savior was tootsie roll lollipops. Give it a try.
Rosalie
Unread 09-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Smoking

I am still smoking and preparing myself mentally to QUIT
Unread 09-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Smoking

I am still smoking and preparing myself mentally to QUIT
before my surgery. The healing process for surgery is slowed tremedously because of smoking. Keep up the good work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register