how long does a hematoma drain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long does a hematoma drain? how long does a hematoma drain?

Unread 08-22-2005, 05:53 AM
how long does a hematoma drain?

well i'm here again. i had repaires done on the 12th of august and i developed a hematoma.. i went in to see the dr. last monday he said it can take up to 2 week's well it's really bad still..sometimes i think it's going to stop..then it's there again!!! bright red and lot's and lot's!!!!! AUGH it's feels terriable like a really bad period (haven't had one in a year and a half )has anyone ever had a hematoma? and how long did it take to drain? when should i get worried? soemtimes it's dark brown,other times is BRIGHT red???

i'm going to give him a call later this morning. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2005, 08:28 AM

Yes, do call your Stess the bright red, but make sure you are specific about amount and frequency. Keep us posted.

Unread 08-22-2005, 08:45 AM

coffee lover, are you me? weird; i was just getting ready to post a similar question. i had my ovaries out aug 12 also. laparoscopic, went well. was a perfect patient for 7 whole days in bed reading and watching movies, a little walking around the house and light laundry starting mid-week after getting a green light from my clinic via phone conversation. no spotting at all, just a pale blush on the tissue when i peed. but i intended to spend my second week(and likely last week of official recovery) getting back to a more normal schedule: i'm still abstaining from heavy lifting and rigorous movements, but i did spend the day on my feet sunday (yesterday; 9 days post-op)- driving for the first time, grocery shopping (had the bag boy load the car for me and DH unload at home), other errands. food prep and cooking, playing with my child and a little vacuuming and tool organizing on a house we are renovating next door. started bleeding as though a medium period around noon and it's still about the same this morning (monday). i put a call in to the nurse at my clinic a few minutes ago; waiting to hear back.
20/20 hindsight, i obviously did more than i should have yesterday, but nothing was particularly strenuous-- just too much i guess? anyone with a lap BSO - how much did you do, how soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM

well mine wasn't done lap. it was all done vaginaly, i had a cytocele and rectocele repaired... and i didn't do alot of nothing... i went to walmart, was pushed around by my DS. so i didn't even walk..
i called him this morning and he said it can take up to 2 weeks if not longer. augh.. he said if it doesn't get any better by 2 1/2 weeks i have to come in and they have to drain it. that scares me to death. i'm 10 days out and i feel pretty good. i can't imagine having to have ANYTHING in there for a long time... thanks
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:33 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know first-hand that hematomas aren't any fun!

I don't know how large yours is, but depending on the size and other factors, hematomas can actually take several months to resolve. The fact that your doc is hoping yours will be better in a couple of weeks gives me a pretty good feeling that he feels yours will resolve on its own, which is what many hematomas do.

You can rest assured that your hematoma probably wasn't caused by you overdoing it, though. In my case, for example, they surmised that there was a tiny blood vessel which didn't repair itself after surgery and just kept oozing blood slowly for several weeks. I was a very good and I still developed a very large hematoma.

As long as the hematoma isn't infected, docs really prefer trying to let it resolve on its own without surgical intervention. In my case, they tried the wait-and-see approach for several months but nothing happened, so they then attempted to drain it a few times. If it comes back again (yes, I'm still dealing with this at almost a year post op!), they will consider surgery. But any sort of surgical intervention invites infection, which can be very serious!

I hope this helps. Keep us posted. In the meantime, make sure you follow your doc's instructions and take it very easy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register