1st diagnostic facet nerve block today--nervous!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1st diagnostic facet nerve block today--nervous!!! 1st diagnostic facet nerve block today--nervous!!!

Unread 08-23-2005, 09:14 AM
1st diagnostic facet nerve block today--nervous!!!

Hi girls,

I'm going for my first diagnostic facet nerve block injection today at 2 pm. I'm nervous! The pictures I saw on the internet showed 3 needles being inserted through the vertebrae (between the lumbars) and into the spinal cord--at the same time!!! I know my doc will explain everything to me when I go to check in before, but just wondering if anyone has ever had this done, and how it feels.
He said I'll be numb through my whole lower back and abdomen, but I can go right back to work--is that true? Will I be able to walk? This is so wierd.
For those of you who don't know, apparently I have a 6th lumbar vertebra (very rare, from what the rad tech told me) which is causing spinal compression. on top of that, I have basically like osteoarthritis (CRAZY, isn't it? I'm only 23!) cause I guess the facet joints are degenerating--I don't know, something like that. It's not necessarily caused by my surgeries or endo, but my doc did say that it wasn't good for my back and hip joints that all of these operations took place. Anyway, we'll see. I just want the pain to go away! If all goes well with these facet nerve blocks, I'll be having a radiofrequency, or RF, rhizotomy.
Long story--another post, another time. Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this stuff, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks in advance!
~~Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2005, 10:13 AM

O.k., now I'm working myself up way too much--i'm getting all weepy, I guess i'm really scared of the pain of having this done--isn't it really that big of a deal? Should I be this scared?
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:51 PM

Yeah, it WAS as bad as I thought it would be. But it's over now, and I feel great. The doc said next time, I'll need to take a valium before, because I just cried the whole time. I didn't realize that it involved four needles, though only 3 at the same time--but remember this--I HAVE A VERY LOW PAIN TOLERANCE--there are other people who do fine with this procedure. But I have to think long and hard about if I want to do that again. We'll see. I'm not sure at this point.
But like I said, the worst part's over and I'm feeling absoluetly great now, so it's a trade off.
I'm going to go lay down for a little while now--that took a lot out of me!
Love, Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2005, 04:01 PM

Wow - doesn't sound like fun at all!!! I'm glad you are feeling better now, though!!! I sure hope it lasts!

The plus side to my injections is that they are doing them with me sedated. I don't think I could have done it awake. My PM doc told me that they start in the back near the SI joint and then proceed all the way around my pelvic bone....I hope I get the same sort of relief that you did!

Take care!
Cortney
Unread 08-24-2005, 07:10 AM

Hi Cort!
Thanks for replying, and for your sympathy...I'm feeling much better now, and believe it or not, I called this morning to schedule my second injection--I can't believe it either, but I thought about this long and hard, and talked to the nurse, and I'm going to go for it, but I'm definately going to be semi-sedated and my mom's going with me!
One of the interesting things the nurse said to me was she thought that with all the procedures and operations I've had in the last four years, that this injection process probably "brought me back" to that and made me remember the pain and fear of those things, like my hyst and everything before that--I thought that was an interesting theory...she has a point.
Anyway, I'm crazy, I know, but I'm going to go for it, because last night I felt wonderful for the first time in a long time, and if these procedures can give me relief, then I'm going to do all i can to get better.
It's amazing what we put ourselves through and how much we suffer sometimes....we're strong women, aren't we! The guy I'm seeing said to me last night how strong he thought I was, because he could never have gone through that--with absolutely nothing to help, like sedation or pain pills....that made me feel good
Anyway, thanks for listening.
Unread 08-24-2005, 09:21 AM

I have had many of the nerve blocks and they are completely fine as long as you have the Valium first. I had one block done without the Valium and I swore to myself that Iwould never do it again. I hope it worked for you better than it worked for me. Good luck and keep me posted.
You are in my prayers!
Kelly
Unread 08-24-2005, 09:31 AM

ChristinaLeigh, I have never had a nerve block, I just wanted to wish you the best. I that you will be pain free one day. I am sending you big .Carol
Unread 08-24-2005, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the prayers, Caroline!
Kelly, I'm DEFINATELY not going through that again without the Valium. It's good to know that other people need a little help to get through it and I'm not being overdramatic! Thanks!

You girls are wonderful....I feel relieved...I don't know if I could go through all this by myself..i'm getting all teary-eyed again, big shock and surprise, but ya'll are just wonderful. Thank you so much!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register