Hyst to treat endo? My insurance does cover Lupron or Synarel | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst to treat endo? My insurance does cover Lupron or Synarel Hyst to treat endo? My insurance does cover Lupron or Synarel

Unread 08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Hyst to treat endo? My insurance does cover Lupron or Synarel

Help Me-

I was at the doc last Thurs. He suspects that I have adenomyosis and would have tvh with ovaries intact.

However, he said until we see the ultrasound, endometriosis is not totally out of the question either. He told me that endometriosis is treated with hormone therapy using BCP or Lupron. I have tried BCP and has made my problems worse. Now come to find out, meds such as Lupron or Synarel are not covered by my insurance. Have any of you used Danazol? I wonder how I will react since BCP made things worse.

I have three children and am 31. My friend said I should ask my doc for a hysterectomy and take the ovaries even if it is the endo and not the adeno because I am suffering too much and my treatment options are very limited because of my insurance. Money is too tight and there is no way in the world we can afford a $1200 shot of Lupron to see what happens.

Please advise as I am not sure what to do if my condition turns out to be the endo.

Painful and this is a pain in the butt! Andrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2005, 06:15 AM

Hi Andrea

I am sorry you are having to make these decisions.
I had endometriosis and I know that the treatment options are limited which makes it a tough decision.

I did want to mention that if you do have endo, then an ultrasound may not detect it. It can be very microscopic and I have read that the only accurate way to diagnose endo is through a laproscopy. Your doctor may be able to remove much of the endo while doing the laproscopy which for some women can provide years of pain relief.

Here are some articles from the resources section that has some information on medications to help treat endo.

Medications to treat endo...click here

There is also progesterone therapy which is suppose to help inhibit the growth of endo by counter acting the negative effects that estrogen has on stimulating the endo.

Progesterone to treat endo

Here is an article on surgical excision to help treat endo.

Surgical excision
This is also thought to be a good way to get relief from the pain of endo.

One last article I wanted to share is a link to the entire endo resources.

Endometriosis resources

It was very helpful for me to do alot of reading and research on endo. It can be a very complex disease and requires a doctor that is knowledgeable in treating it.

Also I have read that there is no definent cure for endo. Many of the treatments such as lupron only work while you are using them. As soon as the therapy is stopped....the pain returns. Even a hysterectomy is not a guarantee that it will cure endometriosis. There is a small percentage of women that have a hysterectomy and are not cured from the pain of their endo.

Best Wishes
Unread 08-25-2005, 06:40 PM

i dont know what the income qualifications are... but the drug co has a program for free lupron shots..... its worth asking your dr about if u want to try that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2005, 08:05 PM
I feel for you !!!

Your story sound just like mine. I have Endo and I was taking the bcp for 2 years , without any problems until a few weeks ago and I have no developed what they call "pregnancy mask". It's on my upper lip I go to a dermatoligest in Oct. They are pretty sure I'm stuck with the mark. It's just to much hormone flowing through my body that caused it. Nice eh!!! Needless to say I have been told it's time for the big "H" the full and complete now. Totaly scared and unsure. We are trying to concive one more time before they takit it all away. We have one child, he's seven. Anyhow my sister was on Lupron and wished she never ever heard of the drug. SIDE EFFECTS were soooooooooo bad. Be very carefull. And even though she stopped with Lupron she didnt feel like her self for a lomh time. Good luck in your time of wonder. I think about the decision daily. Let me know what you decide.
Angel 1
Unread 08-25-2005, 08:35 PM

I had very severe endometriosis and let it go for years. I just had a full hyst including ovaries at age 46- by the time I got it done, the endo had done quite a number on my colon. I wish I had the surgery 10 years ago. I did lupron for 3 years and had marginal at best results.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register