PET Scans Help Predict Response to Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PET Scans Help Predict Response to Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer PET Scans Help Predict Response to Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer

Unread 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
PET Scans Help Predict Response to Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer

Hi Ladies~

This ovca alert article was just sent to me and I wanted to pass it along:

According to proceedings of the 52nd annual meeting of the Society of Nuclear Medicine, positron emission tomography (PET) imaging may be a useful tool ...

Read whole article

<note by Admin: Copyright laws (and HysterSisters Guidelines) do not allow us to copy/paste entire articles within our website. I've removed 90% of the article and replaced it with a link to the original article to comply. Thanks for understanding!>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Very interesting, 3 Sisters,

I was given an MRI after having had 3 treatments of the taxol/carbo for my ovarian cancer - it showed tumors had grown. I then had a biopsy to confirm if it was indeed cancer growing or scar tissue. It came out positive for cancer and I'm now on caeylx (Doxil) -just had my 2nd treatment. I'm to have another biopsy after the 3rd or 4th treatment to see if this is working.

When I did have a PET scan they always asked if I was undergoing chemo -I believe you have to wait about 6 weeks after you finish chemo to have a PET. So, I'm a little confused - but after reading this article you posted I'm going to ask my doctor if I could get a PET instead of a biopsy or MRI. I'm very hesitant to have another biopsy -unless really necessary. What if this treatment is working and there's nothing to biopsy? Shouldn't an MRI or PET be done first?

Very interesting to see what my doctor will advise me to do - but I have to wait until after the next treatment (my 3rd) or the one after (the 4th) - they say that this chemo is a slow acting one.
Unread 08-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Yes, the Doxil is very slow acting. It has been determined that you must wait after at least your 3rd or 4th treatment to be able to determine whether in fact it is showing any benefit.

My sister was on Doxil, unfortunately, she had SEVERE side effects and had to discontinue it. As it turns out, following that, she had second surgery to remove the recurrent lesions and is now on a different combo chemo. Her new chemo was chosen based on the profile test which was performed on the tissue following the second surgery.
BTW...the only way the DR would advise as to whether she was a candidate for the second surgery, was to have a combination PET/CT scan done. It was only then that he could advise if the surgery would benefit her. The surgery was a complete success...now we have to that the new chemo will get her into remission.

I wish you the best in beating this dreadful disease and that you will soon be dancing with NED 4-ever!

's
Heni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register