Catheter out after 8 days- can't urinate, UGH !!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter out after 8 days- can't urinate, UGH !!! Catheter out after 8 days- can't urinate, UGH !!!

Unread 08-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Catheter out after 8 days- can't urinate, UGH !!!

Hi Everyone,

I am 8 days post-op. for a TVH & cystocele/rectocele repair. My catheter was just removed this morning. However, I am having a very difficult time peeing. I went back to my gyn. in the afternoon and he removed about 800cc's from my bladder. He then sent me home with a self-catheter. I have used it once this evening after only being able to "trickle" a few times. I removed about 400cc's myself. I am on a muscle relaxer for the bladder. I have run water and taken several warm baths. I'm not very patient when it comes to health matters, so I'm getting rather freaked. Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to remedy this? Do you think that I just need to relax and things will improve in a few days? I would greatly appreciate any input!!!

kjmay39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2005, 09:38 PM

OOOH the frustration!! Given the fact you soo eairly post op try not to get too discourged just yet!!(I know easier said then done!) What kind of cathing instructions did your Doctor give you as far as how often? Netty
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:51 PM

Hi Netty,

My dr. told me to cath. first thing in the morning, after trying to go on my own. He also recommended mid-afternoon, bed time and anytime my bladder feels really full and I can't empty it. I'm just getting scared because I have been dealing with gynecological health issues since last Nov and I just want to be normal again. I had both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed Nov. 18, 2004. I am so very thankful that I had that surgery because I actually only went in for an ablation due to heavy bleeding. My gyn. discovered that I had a large mass on my left ovary fused to my bowel. The mass was borderline pre-cancer/stage 1 ovarian cancer. I thank God everyday for finding this before I had full blown OvCa. At the time, I needed the TVH and anterior/posterior repair but was having some serious problems with my blood. So, the dr. only wanted to do the ablation in order for my blood counts to improve and found the ovarian problems. He said that he had no choice but to remove my ovaries then, but felt that the hyst. was too risky. So here I am, 9 months later still recovering and dealing with these health issues. I just want to get well and return to my classroom. I am a teacher and can't start school right now. Thank you for listening. I am really trying to have a positive attitude and outlook. kjmay 39 (Kim)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2005, 09:52 PM

In my own opinion....I would keep a voiding diary. First try to void on your own and log that then cath and log that. This will help the Doctor as well as you yourself being able to see any progress. Obviously 400cc is way too much residule in your bladder! I would at least try to pee every 2-3 hours and cath and record. I wouldnt let your bladder get that full. It will get over stretched and the muscles will weaken. Once you start to see improvement in the residules then you can wait a little longer in between cathing. I really think the sooner you can retrain you bladder to empty the quicker it will recover. I wish you the best and feel free to vent anytime! Keep us updated on your progress!! Take Care....Netty
Unread 08-26-2005, 10:01 PM

That is a great idea Netty. I will start logging tomorrow morning. I also think that part of the problem is that I had fairly severe urge incontinence before surgery and always had to work hard at "holding my urine." I think that I am just not letting the sphincter (sp.?) relax. I find myself constantly still holding. Kim
Unread 08-26-2005, 10:14 PM

Wow Kim ,
You certiantly have .been through alot!! I can understand your frustrations and fears! I'm sure that once the swelling goes down your bladder will wake up! Try not to give up hope! Our bladders are very sensitive creatures and with all that you've been through it may just need a little more time.
Thank God your Doctor found the mass when he did!! He sounds like a very good Doctor and thats half the battle!
Did you have any bladder issues prior to your TVH? As I said before Kim, I wish you the best, and I'll say a prayer for you! I really think your bladder will wake up soon. Take care.. and keep us updated!!! Netty
Unread 08-26-2005, 10:21 PM

This is too funny...I keep writting questions and you've already answered before I post!
What medication does he have you on?
Unread 08-26-2005, 10:45 PM

Kim,
Had you had any testing on your bladder in the past? You mentioned you had severe urge incontence prior and if you've been "holding" back for fear of wetting it could be possible your doing that without realising it? Isnt it sad when you have to "think" and "focus" just to pee!!?
Unread 08-27-2005, 07:38 AM

Hi Netty,

Sorry I "pooped" out last night. I hadn't napped all day because of two trips to the doctor and spending the rest of the day trying to pee. I finally had to go to bed. Yes, I was sent to a urologist prior to my hyst. for a cystoscope. The uro. confirmed that I had a 3rd degree bladder prolapse. He recommended the cystocele and put me on Detropan (which I have since quit taking). He had also mentioned the possibility of a sling, but said he didn't feel it was necessary at the time of theTVH. He suggested waiting and seeing how things went after surgery.
As far as the prolapses go, I have had the uterine prolapse since the birth of my fourth child 12 years ago. The bladder and bowel came on my later. At the time of surgery, both bladder and bowel were protuding through my vaginal wall with the uterus lying on top of the bladder. Both docs. felt that the TVH and cystocele/rectocele repair would solve much of the incontinence problems. My gyn. said that if the current problem is not resolved by the time I come back to his office this Friday, Sept. 2, he will send me back to the uro. The muscle relaxer he put me on is called Bethanechol, which is the generic for something that begins with a Ur. Take care!! Kim
Unread 08-27-2005, 07:41 AM

kjmay39,
I read your post and am offering hugs and a suggestion. Try leaning back on the toilet and take a deep breath and slowly release the breath while slowly leaning all the way forward. Hope you get some results soon. Part of you problem may also be that it probably still hurts to sit on the toilet so that will get better with time. Good Luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register