please help! should i call??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

please help! should i call??? please help! should i call???

Unread 08-28-2005, 06:40 AM
please help! should i call???

well today is day 16 post-op. from my repairs and i was feeling alot better,the other day. yesterday we went to a party from 6-about 11:30..i sat the whole time of course got up and walked around!and by the time i got home OHMG it hurt soooo bad i had to take a pain pill..
it's been 16 days shouldn't i be feeling almost totally normal by now.. i feel ok,but still ALOT of pain!!! today it seems to be ok,but i know by the end of the day i will be on the couch taking mortrin...should i call the DR? or is it normal to still be this uncomfortable this far down the road? i know i had surgery i guess i'm impatient!
any one else having a hard time bouncing back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2005, 06:54 AM

I was in pain for about 6weeks!!!! I did have a few complications and thought I needed to get off these painkillers, everyone is different but I would say it's very early days for you....I think I finally cut down to two painkillers at night around the 9th week......
Unread 08-28-2005, 07:41 AM

I would definitely say you are expecting too much too
soon!! Take it easy, give it some time. I think this is
one of the main problems with us is we want to get back
to business too soon, partly because we've been out-of-commission so long, can't wait to get our life back. From what I understand about this surgery is that it is
pretty painful, I am looking at this myself, and pretty
nervous about it. I am not so afraid of the initial pain
from the surgery, but because I have been so disappointed from my past experiences with surgeries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2005, 08:12 AM

I had a Stage 3 rectocele repaired at the same as my hyst. The repair parts of the surgery caused all of the initial post-surgery pain and that initial pain lasted for several weeks. Sitting was one of the most difficult activity I could do, putting unbelievable stress on my internal and external stitches!!! Furthermore, at my 6 week post-op appointement, I had prolongued lifting and straining restrictions and that was in order to protect the repairs.

((((Sweetie)))) You've just had another major surgery, and sufferred complications. Please, give your body a chance to heal. This means resting, with your feet up. At this stage of recovery, the only activities you should indulge in should be walking for recovery.

If the pain persists or is accompanied by other symptoms, please give your doctor a call.

Unread 08-28-2005, 09:14 AM

OK, ((Coffee)):

Now, I'm going to fuss a bit. What are ya thinking? Please behave yourself. Relax, have a cup of Joe (decaf) and stop expecting to be normal. Must we call out the pillow ?

Sitting is an activity and re-read ((Dany)) above for reinforcement. Good gravy, gal. You have one opportunity to heal properly. Make you a priority, please!

Luv ya!
Unread 08-28-2005, 09:32 AM

Cystocele and rectocele is going to take longer than 2 weeks to heal. I'm 4 weeks postop and my rectocele repair still swells if I'm up and about too much during the day. When I just had my sling surgery (I would imagine this is very similar to cystocele repair), it took about 4 weeks to begin to feel back to myself. Give yourself at least 4 weeks taking it easy. You're still healing.
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:47 AM

thanks so much.. i guess i just want to feel normal again.. and im a very impatient person.. after ALL of the surgeries i have had i was fine by 2 weeks so i expected to feel somewhat normal by now.. wow i never thought it would feel this bad this long. 6 weeks feel's like forever!! any other time 6 weeks flys by!
you ladies are the only place i feel i can come to that you truley understand.. my DH and DH'S are kinda slaking on the house work cause they think i'm feeling a little bit better i should be doing it.. and i can't i did wipe down the table and wash some dishes,but now i'm sore..
i'm glad to know i'm not alone ..thanks again
Unread 08-28-2005, 01:54 PM
housework

Amen! Let that housework go. Our families get so use
to us jumping up and doing everything, and we get use
to it too. Just be firm with yourself, pretend that you
are talking to one of the sisters here that has had
surgery. I was given a video of my enterocele surgery,
and when you see what they do in there you know, you
can't be healed in a few weeks. My NP told me that the
rectum area is very complex, and has about more nerves than any place. This is really a short time out of
your life,even if it does seem long, but it will be worth it
My sister-in-law had this surgery a few months ago,
a few weeks after her surgery she was in a near car
accident, where she had to slam on her brakes, and she
did not feel right after that, don't know if there was real
damage or not but for sure it slowed down her progress.
Just think about yourself, at least for this recovery time.
Unread 08-28-2005, 03:25 PM

Coffee,
For me, I have found that it has taken me longer to recover with each additional surgery I have. Just a lap can send me into a tailspin for weeks! Surgery is surgery, and it really does take a toll on the body. We're not 20 anymore and our bodies just don't bounce back like they used to.

I do think if you feel something isn't right that you really should call the doctor and run it by him/her. That is what the doctor is there for. It does no harm to play it safe and get the doc's opinion before assuming that this is normal recovery issues.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register