cervix will be removed too | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervix will be removed too cervix will be removed too

Unread 08-28-2005, 07:56 PM
cervix will be removed too

Just found out that I will have a TVH. I thought that I was only having my uterus removed. I asked the doctor if I could die and he paused and said yes. I am glad he was honest but wish he lied to me, now I have new fear. (I realize he is obligated to say that, truly you could die getting a tooth pulled). I have a few questions and are not sure where to look.
1)I had a tubal 5 years ago, and one clamp ripped through my ovary and separated it. With that complicate things?
2) I am having a spinal, does anyone regret doing this?

Thanks,

lis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2005, 09:27 PM

I really can't answer your questions, but you're right - you could die with any sugery, but that rarely happens. Most go smoothly and I'm sure your's will too. I had my cervix removed also (TAH/BSO). I figured they may as well take the works as I was approaching menopause and did'nt want to have to worry about any other sugeries such as cervical cancer. I can say, I notice no difference without a cervix. The "O" is the same so I don't think it plays a big part in that. My dr said current research shows that there's no truth that keeping the cervix plays a part in a better "O" that removing it. Hope this helps and best wishes with your surgery. I'm sure you will be fine.

Jean
Unread 08-29-2005, 05:21 AM

I had an epidural for pain relief after the op (which was GA) and it worked extremely well - no pain at all. I didn't enjoy having it set-up but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever experienced. All the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2005, 05:25 AM

I can't answer your questions but wanted to let you know that I also had my cervix removed and the big "O" is even better now than before surgery. I had general anesthesia and then a Morphine pain pump. I would have this procedure again in a heart beat. Best thing I think I ever did.
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:02 AM

I had a combination spinal/epidural, the spinal was for anest during the surg and the epidural was for pain afterwards. Only had one stick as he did both in the same area. The "A" doc gave me versed and I slept through the entire procedure. I don't even remember sitting up to get the meds in my back, although he said I talked to them while it was being done and let them know when I was numb. I would highly recommend having it done this way!! As far as the ovary are they planning on taking it, do you want them to, these are questions that you need to make sure to ask the doc prior to the day of surgery. GL to you, Angela
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:27 AM

I had at TVH with a spinal in May. I had absolutely "No Pain" at all after awaking from surgery, they say the spinal has pain meds in that last for 24 hours. Even after the 24 hours I experienced no pain. I kept my ovaries but had my cervix removed and things are still "working" just fine. I would highly recomend the spinal.
Good Luck
Beams
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM

Were you scared going into the operating room? Did the catheter bug you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beams
I had at TVH with a spinal in May. I had absolutely "No Pain" at all after awaking from surgery, they say the spinal has pain meds in that last for 24 hours. Even after the 24 hours I experienced no pain. I kept my ovaries but had my cervix removed and things are still "working" just fine. I would highly recomend the spinal.
Good Luck
Beams
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:08 PM

How is your recovery going? is it easier/harder than you thought?
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:14 PM

When I had my pre-op I had to read a long list of possible complications and then sign a sheet saying I read them. Death, of course, was on there. But you can't get too hung up on that stuff. that sort of thing is rare and you're more likely to get killed in a car accident on the way to the hospital.

I don't miss my cervix at all. You probably won't be too scared when they wheel you into the operating room because they'll have pumped you full of happy juice by then.

I had a spinal years ago for knee surgery and it was horrible. I would never do it again. I've been under general anesthesia many times and much prefer that to anything else.

My catheter was my best friend after surgery. I never even felt it and wouldn't have known it was there if I hadn't felt the tube. I loved not having to get up and go to the bathroom and didn't want them to remove it but they insisted. When they removed it it didn't feel much different than removing a tampon. It's a breeze.
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Hi-
I was scared to have this surgery - as I had never been in the hospital before (except for childbirth) - took me over a year to schedule the surgery date - thought my problems would just "go away". But they didn't and I couldn't take the heavy bleeding anymore. After I woke up from the surgery I felt fine, never experienced any pain, and the feeling returned to my legs and feet shortly after. I had alot of company that day and never felt tired or dopey, The catheter was nice because they fill you so full of fluid through the IV - if not for the catheter I would have had to pee every half hour. It didn't hurt and I was out when they put it in before surgery. Removal wasn't bad either - just burned a bit for the two seconds it took the nurse to remove it. All in all I had a great experience, I was home from the hospital within 23 hours... took it easy for a few days ... drove after 1 week and returned to work after 2 weeks. I am very pleased with the results - would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Anything else I can answer... just e-mail me.
"Beams"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register