DD left for India today. YIKES! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DD left for India today. YIKES! DD left for India today. YIKES!

Unread 08-28-2005, 09:01 PM
DD left for India today. YIKES!

Hi Sisters,

My 18 year old daughter left Canada for India today. She will be a volunteer at a school for orphans and slum children, and will be gone until mid-January.

I'm not exactly scared, but I feel sort of lost. Our house seems so quiet all of a sudden.

Does anyone have children that age who have gone off on this sort of adventure? How did you cope?

I think I'll have a few more grey hairs after this is over! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2005, 12:27 PM

Congratulations!! You must have done something right to raise such a caring daughter. It takes courage and compassion to do what she is doing.

That being said, I know it is hard to have your child so far away. My youngest DD who is 27, has no qualms about taking off to follow her dreams. She currently lives in Rhode Island, far enough from home that we feel its like she is in a foreign land

I hope you will be able to e mail or talk with your daughter frequently and that will help the time fly until January. What a gift she is giving those children in India.
Unread 08-29-2005, 02:19 PM

Thanks for your supportive reply! I really needed to hear from another mum of an independent (and far away) daughter. Your kind words helped so very much.

Once she is settled, she will have e-mail and a website documenting her travels, and I will feel so good being in touch with her again.

By tonight, she will have arrived at her orientation and met her roomie (another 18 year old girl from England). I will rest more easily knowing she has arrived. She is probably on an airport layover in Malaysia right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2005, 04:34 PM

My DD went to Germany for 12 months as a High School Exchange Student when she was 16 1/2. It is scarey letting them go off and have people you have never met oversee them. She will go back to Europe to study in a year. You have to trust that you have raised them with the ability to make good decisions. Lots of prayer. Email and Instant Messenger are also great.

My 23 year old niece has been in Taiwan for two weeks now to teach English for a year. We are able to keep up with her by reading her blog. Is it possible for your DD to set up a blog that family and friends can read?

s and ers
Jane
Unread 08-30-2005, 12:00 AM

Hi Jane,

Yes, she will have a blog as part of her website. I hope she updates it lots!

Thanks for your support,

Laura
Unread 08-30-2005, 02:00 PM

This computer age is wonderful for keeping in touch with our kids while they are off spreading their wings. It really amazes me that one can have instant communication, the websites and photos there, with someone half way 'round the world and not cost us much. But, when our kids are half way 'round the world, the cost of communication does not matter.

Have you heard from your DD?

s
Jane
Unread 08-30-2005, 06:01 PM

Hi!

My middle dd recently returned from Germany. She was there nearly a year as an exchange student. It was hard seeing her off at the airport. She had never flown before, and was traveling alone. :cry:

As hard as it was to have her go, it was a wonderful opportunity for her which hopefully will pay off in the future. She traveled quite a lot there when not in school and met a lot of interesting people. We talked by phone only a few times and kept in touch mostly through AIM and e-mails. It was fun getting mail from her and her little brother especially looked forward to packages from time to time.

I am sure you are very proud of your dd. That is important and rewarding work she is doing! I hope that you hear from her soon. I think it's hardest until we get that first communication with news of the safe arrival.

I'm sending understanding s!!
Unread 09-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Two years ago my daughter spent half of her junior year in college in Southern India. It was a life changing experience and she is still in touch with all of the other students she traveled with. She studied and worked with young Indian women in a training program. She did get sick while there(salmonella) but got great treatment in an Indian hospital- $20.80 US for a 36 hour stay. We were only able to hear from her about every 2 weeks. My daughter is now in grad. school to get a Masters in Education. I am thinking of going on a mission trip to India in February. I am in health care and think my skills could be used in an orphanage.

I prayed for her safety, my peace of mind, and thanked God for the wonderful opportunity she had.
Good for you for encouraging her to go. -Melanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register