removing ovaries at a later time??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

removing ovaries at a later time??? removing ovaries at a later time???

Unread 08-30-2005, 02:51 PM
removing ovaries at a later time???

i think that most of my abdominal pain is from my ovaries, but i'm not positive. since i have a high pain tolerance i would rather keep my ovaries for now----knowing that it is a possibility i may need to have them removed later. have any of you had a hyst and then some time later had your ovaries removed? i have been through a lot of mid-cycle pain over the years, usually lasts about 5 days, but has lasted about a month before. i'm not sure what the pain i am having now is. if i have actually had a lot of cysts over the years, can they tell that by looking at my ovaries, or can they only tell that you have cysts when one is active?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2005, 04:15 PM

There are some sisters here who are having their ovaries removed after their hyster, you can look at hteir threads in "Ovaries Only" right under post-op. I didn't know until they opened me up weather or not I was going to be able to keep my ovaries, I wanted them badly because I was only 29 when I had my hyster. Your Dr. should be able to tell by looking at them if they are healthy or not. Make sure you voice to your dr. that you really would preferr to keep them or possible.
Good luck!!!
Unread 08-30-2005, 08:40 PM

Yes, there are plenty of women who go the most conservative route and keep their ovaries as long as possible but still end up having them out. I've seen figures around 5-15% of women who have a hysterectomy later have oophorectomy (one or both). Most later oophorectomies are for recurring cysts, pcos and endometriosis.

I would definitely make sure that they're the source of your problems. Some doctors use Lupron to halt the ovarian action to test whether or not symptoms are caused by the ovaries.

Oophorectomy cannot be undone, so it's a high price to pay for a trial-and-error solution.

I know that cysts run in my family, but I'd rather hang onto my ovaries as long as possible. Look at it this way, if you end up having them removed in five years, that's five years of your natural hormones protecting your heart, circulatory system, bones, bladder, teeth, vagina and sex drive.

Your doctor should be able to drain any existing cysts and give your ovaries a good looksee while he's in there. Be sure to discuss with your surgeon all of your options.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register