First Pain Management Appt... Scared! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Pain Management Appt... Scared! First Pain Management Appt... Scared!

Unread 09-06-2005, 06:44 AM
First Pain Management Appt... Scared!

I know how you feel, sorta. I was over weight my entire life and in extreme pain. I ws constantly told to loose weight and everything would be okay. I had trouble getting pregnant I was told to loose weight. Finally I found a GYN that took a liitle extra time and found out I had PCOS. He began treating me for it and within a year I was pregnant with twins even though I was still overweight. Since the birth of my twins I had gastric by pass surgery and lost 170lbs that was 2 years ago. So this time when the pelvic pain began I was so relieved that the Dr's finally took time to find out my problem instead of looking at me and taking the easy way out. I had a hemmroginous (sp) ovarian cyst the size of a large cantaloupe. If I hadn't lucked out and gotten a Dr. the listened I would have been in big trouble.
I also understand what you mean about the pain meds. Since my by pass surgery I have built up a huge tolerance to pain meds. My GYN that did my TAH told my husband she had a very difficult time getting me to sleep because of my tolerence. It's not because I take meds often but that is assumed by Dr's if I mention my tolerence. I hate being treated like a druggie. Believe me I wish I could take a Tylenol or just one Lortab and the pain stop but that is like drinking water to me. I just wish once I could find a Dr that understands. Good luck to you. I will keep you in my thoughts. Fill us in when you get back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2005, 03:01 AM

Hey ladies
Well, the PM experience wasn't what I was expecting... the doc didn't really check out the 3 pages of detailed info I gave him, he didn't ask too many questions, didn't check me out physically AT ALL (didn't even touch me... not even a hand-shake) He got the minimum details (Hyst. in January. Pain prior. Pain now.) Wrote up Rx for a month of Lortab, said if pain was still there in one month, he would do a block. I don't know what a block is. SOMEBODY... PLEASE... WHAT IS A BLOCK??
I've seen referrence to this "block" thingie here and there, but I know nothing of the procedure... oh the humanity! (Puts me in mind of a Lego implant... I know, that is just STUPID - cut me a break - it's 4am).
Keep the love and info comin'... you know I'm good for the same! s
Unread 09-08-2005, 03:15 AM

Hey Girl,
Well it seems to me maybe another attempt at finding a "real PM Doctor" is in order??!! This one sounds like just one of those script writting Doc's who thinks thats all you want is drugs??!!
Just my opinion....but I really want you to get the best of care, and I can't see this happening with this one?! Take care,Netty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2005, 04:10 AM

Heya Netty,
Just PM'd you!
That is the thing we DON'T want - and that's what I got across in the document I wrote up for him... I hope he'll at least get around to taking a brief look at it. I'm sort of limited as far as the docs I can go to because now I am on a medical assistance co-pay program due to having our funds drained over the years of choosing our docs In essence, I have to go where they send me. The best I can do is dig in my heels and try to bring all of the information I possibly can to the forefront so a lazy doc won't have to dig. I've gotten results that way before... it's just a matter of finding out if finding out the doc's personality and if he is going to be open to suggestions. I've had some that were absolutely insulted beyond belief that I would even make a suggestion that they perform a certain diagnostic test that was perfectly logical (and later performed, without prompting, by another physician, thereby confirming my theory) - and some that were thrilled that I took such an active role in my own healthcare.
This first appointment took approximately 10 minuites MAX. I'll keep the next one in a month - hopefully the next one will give me a chance to actually talk with him. Beyond that, we'll have to see what the stars have in store, I guess. I'm just hoping that Tuesday was an off day for him.
Unread 09-08-2005, 09:56 AM

Not what we were hoping for you, at all. Maybe it was an off day or his procedure is to try and control the pain with round the clock meds first and then go from there? It just seems odd that a complete history and physical was not done. Maybe call the referring doc and ask his/her opinion about how the appointment went? Maybe the two docs have already met about your case and the PM felt well informed. If that were the case, it seems the PM would have let you know so that you would be at ease. On the other hand, your PM should hear your perspective before making any judgements.

Difficult to know what to do next. The only thing I can think of is to call the doc that referred you and take it one step at a time.

Is the Lortab working?

Unread 09-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Oh, honey. Not at all what I would have thought. I'm sorry! The blocks are injections into different nerves, or your spine, to help keep the pain from reaching your pain receptors in your brain. Works for some people, but not for everyone. I can't believe he wasn't interested in trying other approaches before suggesting the block. I wish that you were able to go to another PM doc. Are there others in his medical group that you could see? I agree 100% that he should have gone through your entire history with you. My first appointment with my PM lasted almost an hour. She talked about everything - work, home, surgeries, etc.

I'm so sorry it didn't go so well. I hope you are able to get some answers! Hope the Lortabs are helping for now!!! I swear if it wasn't for us sisters, the maker of Lortabs would go out of business (I've got a bottle in my purse!!!)

lots more s heading your way!
Cortney
Unread 09-08-2005, 04:37 PM

I'm sorry your appt was rushed and you weren't too impressed with the doc. As you said, perhaps he was having an off day. If your follow up appt doesn't go any better, I would call whomever you need to call to see about seeing another doc.

The block, is probably a nerve block. I have nerve damage and have had steroid injections into my nerves. They did help for a short period of time. The problem was that I couldn't keep receiving them on a long term basis and the relief wasn't long lasting. But at the time, I was very grateful for the bit of relief I did get. It also helped the doc to pinpoint what some of my problems were, ie: the nerve damage.

Unread 09-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Why is it some doctors simply don't appreciate us trying to help them and ourselves? When you come in with notes etc., they look at you like you are some kind of hypochrodiac (sp)and Heaven forbid if you ask for tests without them suggesting it first. I have an appointment tomorrow and plan to go in with my notes and have also spoken to the nurse about running some tests for me. I'm tired of having health problems and having to deal with them for months at at time while I wait to see a doctor or search for another one that will listen to me. Believe me...I think we all can understand that here.
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:48 PM

((michelle)) Odd is what I thought, too. As far as the referring doc, he doesn't want to hear from me. The PM doc didn't even know who did my hyst or who referred me (one and the same) - all he had to do is look at the first line of text on the document. As far as the Lortab, I got a generic that I'm not doing too great with... I'm better off with the one that has the blue spherical imbeds, so I'll have to get that filled. I'm pretty sure the Rx shop here in town has it... been a while, but I used to do okay on it. Thank you for the hug & support!
((Cortney)) Thanks for the reply I'm just hoping that this guy will take a look at the info I've given him. After all of the stories of in-depth first visits with PM docs, I was pretty surprised.
LOL on the Lortab... no kidding, huh?! We're probably supporting their entire pharmaceutical empire! Them and Sunbeam (can't have the pills without the heating pad, eh?). I'm not sure about other PM docs in the group... I think this guy may be last chance saloon.
((Kim M)) As always, your info is greatly appreciated! I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the "off-day theory", lol... And hopefully, if the block doesn't give much relief, he WILL use it as a diagnostic gauge. I'm not giving up hope! Thank you sweetie!
((agape)) I know EXACTLY what you mean. For heaven's sakes, not an INTELLIGENT person who is actively concerned with her own health!!! Nooooooooo!!! I have had my share of run-ins with ego-driven "medical professionals" that feel they are being insulted when you present potentially useful information to your particular case. They refuse to look at the information in an unbiased, clinical, PROFESSIONAL way. They tend to fling the information back at you and refuse to consider the route submitted for consideration even if it later becomes the obvious route to themselves or their peers - out of stubborn pride. I came close to losing my life in one of these situations - and thank God I found a doc that listened to me and found out I had pneumonia and blood poisoning(!).
I'm sure I'm going to say this a million times: I'm so grateful to ALL of you... I don't know what I would have done had I not found this board. I'm making friends that I can relate to (that won't run when the going gets rough... that understand living with these issues on a daily basis), I'm getting the information and support I need... this is just the best use of the internet ever.
Many, many s
Unread 09-09-2005, 12:03 AM

Hey, Slap...

I love your user name! I'd like to do much more to my (previous) gynie than just slap him...in fact, if he meets me in a dark alley he'd better run!

I went through a few PM doc before I found one I could work with. He is a psychiatrist who specializes in pain, so he's *super* easy to talk to and also a great listener. And he's impressed with you when you bring in detailed notes...says it makes his job easier.

OK, now that I've probably made you green with envy ....My pain is not hyst related. It's in my spine, but it did become much worse after having 2 surgeries within 6 months (slap that first gynie!). The PM doc first told me to lose weight and to go swimming, even though I told him that swimming hurts my back.

The second one did no exam at all and slapped a morphine patch on me. That made me sick and did nothing for the pain. So, then he gave me a lecture about being a vicodin addict (I guess he concluded this because the morphine didn't work? Slap!). Then he put me on the Duragesic fentanyl patch. That worked for awhile, but then stopped working and made me sick. BTW, he's a spokesman for Duragesic and insisted that I get name brand, not generic. My DH calls him the Duragesic *****!

I currently use norco, which is a lot like vicodin. only stronger. More hydrocodone, less tylenol. I have had 2 rounds of epidural blocks (selective nerve root blocks, to be exact). They have helped, but not for long. However, like Kim says, even if they only provide a short amount of pain relief, they really *can* be diagnostic. If they relieve your pain for only 5 hours, at least you are getting confirmation that you have found the correct source of pain. And they say that pain is easiest to treat if they know precisely where it is coming from.

Sounds like you are not one to give up. I travel an hour and a half to see my doc, and it's totally worth it. You may need to explore other areas outside of your town. There really *are* good PM docs out there (and also many who should be slapped).

Don't give up, and keep us posted.

Margot

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register