New here - Lupron? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here - Lupron? New here - Lupron?

Unread 09-04-2005, 03:33 PM
New here - Lupron?

Hello all,
I am new to this message board, I've been in the wrong place
I need some input. I am 46, I had a tubal ligation years ago. I have fibroids that are causing me a lot of back and leg pain. my stomach is causing me to get larger pants and my bladder and bowels are being affected. I got my first Lupron shot this past monday and I'm not sure I did the right thing. I have been miserable ever since. Mood swings, headache, nausea, dizzy spells, rapid heart rate and loss of appetite all in less than a week. I am scheduled for 5 more shots and I am thinking I should just go with surgery. if anyone has had experience with this I would appreciate hearing from you. I am getting lots of conflicting advise and hearing from someone who has been there would be wonderful.
Thank you so much and God Bless
Wisdom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2005, 04:40 PM
New here - Lupron?

Hi Wisdom,

You have found a great bunch of ladies here at Hyster Sisters.

I was 46 at the time of my LSH last year for large fibroids. I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for the less invasive hyst. As you know, lupron causes chemcial menopause. I had hot flashes and nights sweats and I lost interest in sex.

You mentioned that you woudl be having 6 shots total. Does your Dr. have a ~long term~ plan for your fibroids after the shots?? As my Dr explained it, Lupron is a temporary fix or a band-aid on the problem. Lupron decreases fibroids and when lupron shots stop, they can most likely grow back. Have you talked about a less invasive procedure for your fibroids or a hyst in the future??

Also, my Dr. would not let me do more than 3 lupron shots since lupron can cause bone density loss if used for too long. Just a question to ask your Dr. also

Best wishes. Do not worry. You will make the right choices for yourself.

Mary
Unread 09-04-2005, 09:19 PM
New here - Lupron?

I used lupron but for fertility treatments and it does give you menapausal symptoms and they were not fun. For me the fertility treatments did not help and ultimately i needrd my hyst due to a cancer diagnosis, but remeber the hyst will put you into surgical menapzuse so lot of these things will most likely happen as well. Good luck woth your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2005, 09:29 PM
New here - Lupron?

My first doc wanted to give me Lupron to shrink an already small fibroid. The side effects are menopause and you can lose bone density. Becs insurance companies generally only cover this shot if it's in preparation for surgery, and he didn't want to follow with surgery I would have to pay for it and bring it to them for the shot. I checked the FDA website which said after 6 months of this shot, they recommend estrogen feedback - which in my case would cause the fibroid to grow again. So I dumped this quack and found a great doctor who removed the fibroid laproscopically. 3 years later he did my hyst (just a few weeks ago) and didn't cut my muscles, nor did he use staples. Great doc. I would get a second opinion before agreeing to go through menopause.
Unread 09-04-2005, 10:27 PM
New here - Lupron?

Hi Wisdom,

Replying again. I agree on getting a 2nd opinion on lupron. It is not for everyone.

As I posted earlier, my lupron shots caused temporary chemical menopause. I am one year post-op from my hyst and I have not gone through natural menopause yet. My lupron side effects wore off right before my surgery and I kept my ovaries. They have been woking great in post-op. Just no period. I mention this since your profile says you want to keep your ovaries. From what I understand, surgical menopause is caused when both ovaries are removed.

Best wishes again,

Mary
Unread 09-04-2005, 10:39 PM
New here - Lupron?

I am sorry to hear about your side effects from the Lupron. My doctor refuses to treat me with it. He said it has ugly and many unwanted side effects, one of them being the mood swings. Since I am bipolar, he thinks it will just worsen it. I have tried many forms of birth control with my former gyno. My new doc thinks I have adenomyosis, but has not ruled out endo. I have recurrent ovarian cysts on my right ovary. He is about 90% sure I will be having a hyst. He thinks as long as he can leave the ovaries, I would be better off than using Lupron or Danocrine. One thing that concerns me is you said you had 5 more cycles to go. Is that a monthly shot for you? I would seriously talk to your doc and tell him you do not want to retake the LUpron if you are that miserable. I told my doc no BCP for me to treat whatever it is I had. I had too many side effects and it did not seem to help my problem anyway. If he does not budge about your treatment, I would not hesitate to get a second opinion. s to you and I hope your side effects subside.
Unread 09-05-2005, 12:05 PM
New here - Lupron?

i too used lupron, i don't have fibroids, but they used it because i have chronic pelvic pain with a very prominent endometrium stripe. my shutting down the ovaries, my endometrium stripe went back to normal. i think we all pretty much experience the same side effects from it. i was only able to get two injections, i also have systemic lupus and it really effecting my disease bad. but i have to say while on it i still had some cramping, but until i discontinued it i did not realize how much it did help. i am not schedule for a TAH on 9/26/05. i am both exciting and very nervous. my surgery is more for quality of life reasons

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register