Adhessions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Adhessions

HI, I am new here and I was hoping to find someone who had experienced some of the things that I have been going thorough in the last few months. I had a TH about 7 years ago. I still have one of my ovaries. I have been having severe lower abdominal pain and I have been to my family doctor who sent me to my obgyn who sent me to a GI doctor and they sent me back to my obgyn. They have told me that I have adhesions and I could have surgery to remove the scar tissue and they would probably take my ovary even thought nothing is wrong with it. I have reached the end of the line I do not know what else to do but cry which I have done a lot lately. If any one has any stories of their own that could maybe give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
mudijo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Adhessions

Hi mudijo,

I totally understand what you are saying...been there, done that. I had a TVH in 2001. Just about a week after that surgery things began to go awry for me. I was very sick and throwing up just about a week out...after that nausea almost dailey, trouble eating, trouble going to the bathroom and severe pain in my left lower quadrant. I held out for a year when I decided something was going to have to be done. Long story short my gyn did a diagnostic lap and couldn't even find my left ovary it was so covered in adhesions. It was stuck to my intestine and everything to the abdominal wall. After the surgery...which by the way ended up being an 8 inch incision across the belly...he told me having my ovary stuck like that was equivalent to a man's testicle being stuck to his leg...he said the ovaries are super sensitive. I am not sorry at all that I had that surgery and even though I have had a reoccurence of adhesions around my colon and have had them lysed at the same time as a vaginal vault prolapse surgery...I would not have done it any differently. At this point, I'm sure they are there again and sometimes my side hurts, but it will be a cold day in hell that I have another surgery. My pain now is not near what it was when the ovary was still in there and I can live with it and feel I can do other things. I will only have a surgery if it is for a total bowel obstruction. I live in fear of that because of where my adhesions seem to always form...they have no idea why they always form on my intestine or if they do they are not telling me. And that would have to be an emergency surgery. The more surgery we have the more adhesions form. Some of us are just unlucky enough to have organs stick to other organs.

I have no advice. That is my story. Each person has to deal with it in their own way, but if there is anything good you can take from my experience please do. It certainly would not hurt to have the diagnostic lap done, which by the way, is the only way they can trully tell you you have adhesions.

Feel free to PM me any time with questions. I am more than happy to do whatever I can to support a hystersister. Best wishes! You will be in my thoughts and prayers..I can trully empathise with you.

Sherry
Unread 09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Adhessions

Thank you so much and I please do keep me in your prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Adhessions

Thank you for sharing your story. It always helps to know that I am not the only one. And please do keep me in your prayers.
Unread 09-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Adhessions

Hi Mudijo!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with the adhesion monster! It's definately not something fun to live with! Thing to remember - yes, the surgery will help with the discomfort from the adhesions for a while - but most likely they will grow back. And usually (in my experience) they are worse each time. It becomes a vicious cycle. However - since you still have an ovary - there is a chance that the adhesions are doing "bad" things to that ovary, and that could be what is adding to your pain. Bad things being adhering it to EVERYTHING! Twisting it, pulling on it, etc. This can cause your ovary to not function properly. Not to mention hurting like the ****ens! (lol, I was censored for a word that wasn't bad!!!)

Talk over your concerns with your surgeon. Ask them WHY they want to remove that ovary if it is healthy. You have to be your own advocate. Asking questions is your right.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!!!

s
Cortney
Unread 09-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Adhessions

I am having a lapro Monday. This surgeon said if my ovaries have adhesions on them he will remove them. I don't like this idea. My gyn had told me he doesn't remove good ovaries. He recommends removing the adhesions and wrapping the ovary with netting to protect it. My FSH level went from good to menopausal in 3 months. I am worried there are adhesions messing with my ovaries. My gyn couldn't find my ovaries on the ultrasound. Since the uro/gyn is doing the surgery(tvt and cystocele repair also) I am going to tell him before I go into the OR to save my ovaries if at all possible.
Speak up for what you want. I have learnt to be my own advocate.
Good luck
Peggy
Unread 09-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Adhessions

Hi,
I was looking to see how many of the ladies who were aroung when I had my op last October, when I saw your post. I had adhesions, but mine cleared up about 6 months later after I went back to work. It was worse before it got better, but now is ok. The reason that I replied to you was that, like you I had reached the end of my tether, and looked on the net to see what advise was out there. I did find a useful article, although I can't remember where. It said that some ladies that had a second op for adhesions sometimes had the same problem again. BUT there is a more expensive way of the surgeon making sure it doesn't happen again. It involves putting a layer of something inside after freeing everything up, which stops the organs and soft tissue sticking together again. I think it eventually disolves, but I can't quite remember. If you are going to go down that road, it might be worth looking into this special layer of something!!!!!! I do hope that you get some relief from this discomfort, it is so unpleasant. And you have all my best wishes for the future. Love Celtic Lady.
Unread 09-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Adhessions

I had an adhesion barrier put in after my first adhesiolysis, but it didn't work. I don't say this to discourage anyone, because I think different things may work for different people. It just didn't work for me.
I wish I could remember the name of the one my surgeon used...it is off the market now.

Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register