Has anyone else had post-op pain in upper abdomen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else had post-op pain in upper abdomen? Has anyone else had post-op pain in upper abdomen?

Unread 09-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Has anyone else had post-op pain in upper abdomen?

At 12 days post-op, from what I've read from others here, I think I have lots of company in experiencing various transient hot, stabbing pains in the lower abdomen or low pelvis...But has anyone else experienced similar transient sharp pains in the UPPER abdomen? I have, off and on, and not sure if it's related to GI tract (no nausea with it) or referred pain from surgical areas, or could upper abdomen have experienced some surgical trauma too (but vertical incision ends just below belly button)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2005, 03:59 PM

hi,, i am thinking maybe you have some air trapped in there, it will probably go away on its own but if its bothering you, give a quick call to dr. office and ask the nurse, they are usually very helpful!
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:00 PM

I have had pain in the upper abdomen. It's transient and on the right side (which is where all my pain was before). It tends to come and go. I just figured it was from the surgery because it doesn't feel anything like the pain I had before the surgery. The pain seems to be going away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2005, 04:17 PM

yes i still have some pain but it is really more sore at the upper left
side of stomach my concern is the swelly belly and especially the
ugly shelf i now have anyone else have this shelf? i had surgery june 20,
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:39 PM
I've been having upper abdominal pain, too

I assumed I was having post surgical pain, and that it was normal...or that I might just be having extreme anxiety that was messing with my stomach. But now at 3-1/2 weeks post op from the TAH and 5-1/2 weeks post op from the laparoscopy, my laparoscopy incision just burst open and started oozing gross stuff. I have half a headache and a general deep ache in the lower abdomen, as well as that sharp pain in the upper abdomen. My bladder is giving me some discomfort too, and I thought that was just normal, but now I'm thinking I probably have multiple infections going on. I see the OB tomorrow, and I'll make a point of posting afterward. Don't let it go, though--call your doc like the ladies have said. There are no stupid questions except the ones you don't ask.
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Hi, I had upper right abdominal pain off and on after my surgery. I had a vertical incision and they can still reach way up there to get rid of adhesions etc.... They took my bowel off my spleen from up there too. The Dr also said it could be the rectus abdominal muscle healing. Then I thought I had an ulcer because it started burning up there too. So could be a number of things. But mine did go away and I am doing great now! Good luck to you! Tiffany
Unread 09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks

Thanks for all the responses! I'm thinking it may be trapped air (gas) -- small intestine? -- it is so off and on.
QueenieK, tell me more about this incision opening up again? just a small one from your earlier lap? So sorry to hear about that!
And re: the "belly shelf" or whatever we're calling it, I think I had that before surgery, being maybe 20 pounds over my ideal weight, and the uterus and tumor(s) being so large -- so what I still have doesn't seem so bad, and I think with healing and losing more weight, I can make it almost go away.
Unread 09-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Well princess--first let me tell you I had 3 C-sections. The first 2 were bikini cut, and the third was vertical. The laparoscopy was on the bikini line, while the TAH was on the vertical line. I was lucky enough to contract Staph infection with my first C-section. Then each of my other surgeries resulted in post-op infection, probably reoccurences of the staph--so this may well be staph-related, too. The incision has been draining slightly for 2 days now and appears nearly closed again. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, when the OB takes a peek. I am dreading it, because I know he may want to open it and scrub it out--and let me tell you, princess, that HURTS! I also will have to admit my little indiscretion to him...my husband and I got a little frisky last week on 2 occasions (blush!) and decided the heck with what the doctor says...so you know. Maybe that is the cause. But I can tell you this: surgical infections are very similar to dental pain in that it is that same persistent ache, headache and general malaise. It also makes me sweat profusely with just a little activity and feel like I'm going to drop over dead. I was fine--great even--last week, then all of a sudden I started to feel generally crappy, then my wound felt like there was tremendous pressure being applied to it. When my husband and I looked, it looked black. It seemed to have fluid all around it in a hard bubble, and when we touched it...YUCK. So. I don't want to admit the friskies. Maybe I will lie. "Gosh, I haven't done anything against your advice, doc!" haha I guess that would be counterproductive, though...as were the friskies, come to think of it! I am almost hoping it is staph. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register