Anyone have success with Lupron for Endo - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have success with Lupron for Endo Anyone have success with Lupron for Endo

Unread 09-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Anyone have success with Lupron for Endo

My gyn is wanting to see if the pain goes away with Lupron, then he will know for sure the pain is only endo related. Then my next step would probably be having my ovaries out. I plan to discuss things more thoroughly at my next appt, after he has test results from my blood work and ultra sound back. Any questions anyone thinks I should ask him would be welcomed! Thanks so much for all of your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Weiser,
I have been on Lupron since June, I guess to shrink the endo before my surgery. Personally I don't care for it. I have had more hot flashes (add back therapy made me either constipated or gave me horrible headaches), but I have to add that I haven't had any sort of period since the first cycle after the first shot. That part I love. I would definately check out the links that were on an earlier answer to help you in your decision.
Unread 09-10-2005, 06:56 PM

Weiser,
I believe that individuals may have VERY different results with Lupron. I took Lupron for 8 months in order to delay my 2nd attempt for TAH....Yes, I had the hot flashes (that I felt were very different from the ones I have now), weight gain and some bone problems.......I think I was at the end of my rope with constant bleeding from endo, ovarian cysts, fibroids, etc.....but, I reluctantly went on the Lupron for pain reduction. I did not find the pain reduction or ANY slow in bleeding on Lupron (actually I became worse)....so.....my experience was not really a good one. BUT....I've heard some good stories too.......I would just advise you to educate yourself on the short and long term effects and make the most educated choice you can.....I hope this helps some.....it's just about impossible to say how one person will do vs. another person's results... I think the links ((Precious Pearl)) gave may be a great place to start...my heart goes out to you, I know this is a hard decision at a bad time....sending hugs your way!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2005, 08:13 PM

I was on Lupron a total of three different times, the last time for the 7 months before my TAH/BSO. I didn't have any of the weight gain. I did have migraines; I get them anyway. My doc just raised my migraine meds, which we have now reduced the dose back to pre-op levels. The first 6 weeks were intense with hot flashes and night sweats. The previous time I used Estroven, but this time we agreed I wouldn't so there would be no estrogen (natural or synthetic). The previous time the Estroven was a godsend over the first time I was on Lupron.

The first time was six months and the endo was back within 2 years. After the second time the endo stayed ok for about 6 years.

My primary put me on a low dose (10 mg every other day) of generic Prozac for the hot flashes this time. It actually worked. People look at me strange, but the dose is so low it wouldn't do much for depression. Post-op I am still on the generic prozac. I am not doing HRT for at least six months to make sure the endo is dead. The gyn thought all the endo would be dead at surgery due to the 7 months of endo, but it wasn't yet. He did say alot of it had died off and it made the surgery easier.

Personally, I think it is worth a try. Do take calcium and vitamin D to reduce the risk of bone loss.

As far as the pain goes, I saw results in less than 4 weeks.

My gyn was adamant that the ovaries had to go with the rest or the endo would keep growing due to the hormone production of the ovaries.

Good luck.
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:53 PM

I'm afraid to say I don't have anything good to report on Lupron. I took the shots for 5 months before my hyst. It didn't help the pain or bleeding. In fact my endo went into adenomyosis while on lupron. The hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings were horrible. I finally told my doctor I couldn't take it anymore and had the hyst. Now I'm in the same boat because I kept an ovary and have been having pain, spotting and swelling. I go for an ultrasound Wed. After that she wants me to consider taking Depr Provera. But I don't think I want to do that either. I just want the ovary out and the endo removed!! Best of luck to ya!!!
Unread 09-11-2005, 01:07 AM

I have not been put on Lupron yet but I have been doing a lot of research as well. I wish you the best of luck and keep us up to date.
Unread 09-11-2005, 01:40 AM

i was on lupron twice before my hyst. I lost weight the first time and noticed nothing the second time. Every person is different. Trying to feel better is what's important.
Unread 09-12-2005, 09:30 AM

tired_of_hurting: Any research you find you want to pass on, please do!

Thank you everyone! I know everyone is different as we can see from these posts, but it does seem more bad than good with Lupron. I research until my brain is going crazy! You find such conflicting info that I decided to just find out what "real ladies" had experienced!!

I am going to find out what other options I have for sure! Side note: my best friend says that since my body reacts so weirdly to everything else, I would problem lose so much weight on Lupron since typically everyone gains weight! She figures I would end up in the hospital on IVS and feeding tubes! She thought she was being so funny!!
Unread 09-12-2005, 11:59 AM

Hey ((Weiser))

Another option that is rarely offered is Synarel. It is a twice day nasal spray. Like Lupron it is a GNRH agonist. It is not a shot, so, if the effects are horrible, you can quit the med. You do have the symptom flare at 1-4 weeks. You would want to go past the initial flare up and give it some time to see if its working. Draw backs are: 1. cost if you don't have a prescription benefit 2. Having to do the spray twice a day every day.

I have had only the typical menopause symtoms and am PAIN FREE ... yahoo! My ovaries are coming out in 2 weeks. Taking this med bought me time in that I was able to delay surgery and proof that taking my ovaries out was the right decision. Its been awesome being pain free.

While menopause is no picnic, I think going into it gradually with the Synarel and then having the ovaries removed was a much gentler process than if I had surgical menopause 6 months ago. Thats strictly Michelle's opinion.

Lots of s for you. I know you will make the right decision!!
Unread 09-12-2005, 12:09 PM

I just wanted to say that if you are taking the Lupron to see if endo/ovaries really are the problem then I can understand that. That is what my doc wanted to accomplish with me taking it. I can also see (like Michelle said) where surgical menopause might be easier to deal with after being on the Lupron. My question was directed at those who take it for long periods of time to "put off" having your ovaries taken out because you "don't want to experience menopause at whatever age." Lupron puts you into menopause. So, I'm confused as to what the difference is??

And I agree that everyone is different and some people have very good, if not excellent, results with Lupron. I was simply sharing my experience which was miserable. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register