Surgery is scheduled *gulp* | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery is scheduled *gulp* Surgery is scheduled *gulp*

Unread 03-28-2001, 10:31 PM
Surgery is scheduled *gulp*

Hi all! I'm new here and am amazed at all the caring and support. I'm scheduled for a TAH/BHO (I think I got that right) on 4/24. I've got severe endometriosis that involves the bowel, complex ovarian cyst, abnormal bleeding, fibroid, ovaries and uterus adhered where they shouldn't be, and an elevated CA125.

Had a laparoscopy - doctor said ..and I quote "you're a MESS." He couldn't even see my ovaries. Sooooo, here goes. I'm sitting here with the pain going across my back and down my legs and my poor belly...ouch!

I'm kind of a basket case. Doctor says that I should keep in mind that the endo is severe and my ovaries aren't functioning normally, which contributes to the psycho behavior.

I'm scared to have surgery..but I sure do feel good knowing I can come here for information, advice, and support. Thanks for being here!

Joni
Email: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2001, 10:53 PM

Hi Joni,

I am new here too My surgery is April 6th, so I can sure relate to the being scared. I am scared too, so what I am trying to do is to focus on the end result and not on just the surgery itself. I am prepared, I asked the right questions thanks to reading this wonderful web site, I got my recovery room prepared, my hospital bags are packed-and I used the tips from the pull down menu's on the main page, from Princess Carol, and boy I have two full bags ready to go , and now I am at the stage where I am pampering myself. Sleeping in, taking extra long, warm baths, listening to my favorite music, watching my favorite movies, and trying, trying so hard to fill myself with positive, soothing self talk Instead of saying negative, "what if's", I say, "What if I have my surgery and I feel so good after I look back and wonder why the heck I worried so much?" It helps, changing the negative what if's to postive what if's. It is very normal to be scared. This is so new to us, our doctor's do this everyday or every week, we never had this done so it is that fear of the unknown that gets us I believe.
Hang in there sister, that is what I am trying to do Soon we will look back and say, "Now that wasn't that bad." Positive thoughts
Unread 03-28-2001, 11:09 PM
welcome

Hi, ladies...I enjoyed reading both your posts. It has been said many times here that waiting is the hardest part and for me it was true. With the wonderful positive attitudes that shine through even these anxious posts, I think you two are going to come through GREAT!!

Keep reading, posting and talking everything over with your doctors.

My best to you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2001, 11:56 PM

Hi There

It has been said a thousand times...and I am gunna say it for the thousand and oneth (is that a word?) time....the waiting is the HARDEST part. I am now four weeks post op and already I feel so much better. I never had the intense pain that alot of women have, thank goodness...but I did have horrible bleeding problems that would completely ruin my life during my periods... I am looking forward to putting my carrying bag away for the extra clothes and supplies to bring with me when I had to go to work during my period...which would last up to 2 weeks. Now everyone will not know my business anymore...lol

I wish you lots of luck and trust me...the waiting is the hardest part....once this is over with...you can get back to living your life. There is alot of wonderful support here 24 hours a day.

Take Care and God Bless
Unread 03-29-2001, 12:51 PM
endometriosis

Joni,

When I read your post I couldn't believe how similar your situation is to mine! I also have stage 4 endo AND a complex ovarian cyst in each ovary. My surgery is scheduled for April 18 and I'm nervous. At the same time I have the hysterectomy, a surgeon who specializes in removing endo will be removing it from the bowel, bladder, cul de sac and wherever else it turns up. I find that having this most recent flare up w/ endo is making me very moody (not to mention the pain). I hope your dr. is giving you some pain meds while you wait for surgery!

I, too, am so pleased to have found this website!

Bonnie
Unread 03-29-2001, 09:26 PM

Bonnie,

It sure is great to have someone to talk to about all of this! Our situations are very similar. My doctor will also have a general surgeon assisting 'cause of the endo making itself at home where it shouldn't.

I can SO relate to the moody part. I cry wayyyy too much...it's crazy! I have been feeling all moody and irrational for quite a while now. I mentioned it to my doctor and was SO relieved when he reminded me that my ovaries were most likely not functioning normally - so I have a medical reason for this insanity!

All my best to you!

Joni
[email protected]
Unread 03-29-2001, 09:31 PM

Thanks to all for your support! I'm working on the negative feelings - and I can't tell you how much this is helping....but then again, I guess you already know that.

Linda Jean, thank you for your very positive outlook and post surgery update.

Joni
Unread 03-29-2001, 11:35 PM

Hi girls,

I am having a TAH/BSO on April 11! I have severe endometriosis, fibroids, adenomyosis, which are all causing heavy bleeding for the last 8 months. After umpteen laparoscopy bandaid surgeries, I am ready to get this over and done with. I am so hoping to feel better and have better quality of life. At the same time I am soooooo nervous about the surgery that I am having panic attacks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get through the next 2 weeks as a calmer person?:hair:

Jan
Unread 03-30-2001, 01:13 AM
Waiting is the worst part of this experience...

Never fear, your time is approaching. Waiting is probably the toughest part of the whole experience, especially when feeling perfectly miserable!!

Sounds like your GYN and you have made the best decision for you. As an aside, I asked about a CA-125 and my GYN refused to order it because he said fibroids can drive up the normal value so that type of info wasn't helpful. Still, its worrisome...

I had a TAH with BSO but solely for fibroids 1/15/01. I am just completing week 11 now and feel terrific. Went back to work at the start of Week 5 full time and was tired but I managed (I have a desk job and returning part time wasn't an option for me) and haven't looked back.

Take the time now to get ready for the "main event". Try to rest and relax as you can and get prepared to do the same thing upon your return home after the surgery is done. While it isn't a walk in the park, the experience itself is bearable.

Best wishes!!
Unread 03-30-2001, 06:16 AM
Waiting

I understand your concern TOTALLY!! My TVH is scheduled for May 30. I waited to wait until my kids were out of school but now I'm not sure that such a good idea! I think I'd rather go ahead and get it over with. But I tell you what...I'll be here for you and we can be "worry worts" together This website is amazing! The women here are much better than any psychiatrist or psychologist. They are real women and they give honest answers. I'm glad to be a part of the website. If there is anything I can do please email me.
I'm rooting for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register