Ovarian Cysts Afterwards? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cysts Afterwards? Ovarian Cysts Afterwards?

Unread 09-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Ovarian Cysts Afterwards?

Hi Ladies! I had my hysterectomy about 3 months ago. I doing ok, went to the doctor for a followup today as a matter of fact bc my ovaries shut down, but now they are awake again. Anyway, the reason I'm writing is bc it's now hurting again to have sex, but only on the left side. And during the day I have little twinges on that side as well. I talked to my doctor and he said that I probably have an ovarian cyst, but that it would just go away. He said he COULD do an ultrasound, but I told him if he is sure it's going to go away, then why waste the money. I go back in 3 months and if there is still pain, THEN he will do an ultrasound. Now my doctor HATES questions, so I hate dealing with him, I usually just ask the nurse, but I was so ready to get out of there, (I sprained my ankle over the weekend and it was hurting like crazy). How common is it to get cysts after a hysterectomy. I NEVER had any problems with cysts before the surgery. Will it really just fade away? Will this problem continue? I had this surgery to get RID of my problems, not add more to them. Any advice would be helpful. Look forward to hearing from you!!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 10:34 PM

I don't have an answer, but I wanted to send along a and I hope that another (((sister))) who has experienced this can come along and share her experience.
Unread 09-12-2005, 11:31 PM

I have had problems with ovarian cysts. Most cysts are a normal part of ovulation and do just go away. If they don't go away, they can become an issue and are something that you and your doctor need to pay attention to! My TAH also included removal of my left ovary for a complex cyst. It's my understanding that a simple cyst is most often a normal cyst that will probably go away (be absorbed by the body) and that a complex cyst is more solid in nature and really should be monitered or even looked at laproscopically. My cyst was extremely painful and hung around for many, many months. My doctor recommended having an ultrasound to take a look and then a followup at least a month later to see if it was still there or had changed. Hope this helps. You can also find more info on ovarian cysts (there are several types) on Webmd.com. That's where I found some good info prior to my TAH/LSO.
good luck, hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2005, 06:55 AM

Cysts are pretty common. I had a several complex cysts and that's one of the reasons when I had my TAH that my doctor recommended taking both ovaries out. They can be very painful.
Unread 09-13-2005, 08:40 AM

feefer, normal or common cysts are just that common. Every women creates a cyst during ovulation that cyst "pops" and sends the egg across the gap to the tube. Some women like myself these cyst get bigger than they should before they either disolve or rupture(very painful). If your pain gets worse it means the cyst is probably growing and you need to have it monitered, if it gets to large and then ruptures it can be life threatening. We have tomonitor mine very closly as they can grow to be 3 inches or more in a weeks time . I now wish I had insisted on the left ovary to be removed, but because of my age I kept them both. My left is my problem ovary, only 1/4 of it is left after a 12cm ovarian cyst took it over when I was 18 yo. These can be very painful, just be sure to get it checked if the pain gets worse or seems to spread!! Also, your doc doesn't like questions, too bad we don't know everything that is what they are there for to help us understand what is going on in our bodies. I say if he doesn't want to answer questions you need to find a new doc. My doc is great in the fact that he has you get dressed and come into his office to talk so you feel more comfortable and at ease and can ask your questions. GL
Unread 09-14-2005, 12:01 AM

I have had two cysts since my TAH in January. I didn't have any, to my knowledge, prior to my TAH. The cyst (diagnosed in July) that I have now is a large hemmorhagic cyst that my Dr said would go away on its own. I will have a follow up ultrasound tomorrow to see if it has gotten smaller in size. I also have pain on my right side with and following sex, so I don't think it has gone away. If I had known that I would be having these problems I would have had the ovaries removed with the uterus.
Nancy
Unread 09-14-2005, 07:32 AM

Thank you for all of your replies!! Nancy, I'm with you, had I known about the cysts, I might have had my ovaries taken out. The reason I didn't was bc of my age and they WERE healthy. I didn't really want to go through menapause at 28.
I see that you're from the Northshore, how did you fare in the hurricane. I grew up in Ponchatoula, and most of my large family is still there. I hope everything is ok!!
Keep in touch and let me know how your ultrasound went.
Unread 09-14-2005, 05:09 PM

My ultrasound was cancelled for today. The office sonographer hasn't reported back to work from the hurricane. They will call when I can get an appointment. I had told my MD to use her discretion regarding the ovaries when I had my TAH. I told her if they looked healthy to leave them because I also didn't want to go through menopause yet and I was 43.
Thanks for asking about the hurricane. We only had some minor roof damage however alot of family members, friends and co-workers weren't so fortunate. The office in which I work is still closed due to power outage. They hope to be back up tomorrow and start seeing patients next week. I really need to get back to work the bills are pilling up. I hope your family fared well with the storm.
Unread 09-14-2005, 06:02 PM

I have ovarian cysts since my surgery three weeks ago and am hoping that it is just a hormonal thing and will settle down in a few weeks. I am experiencing other hormonal problems such as fluid retention and headaches all of which I had after the birth of my kids.

My ovaries did not shut down, but I'm sure that they are feeling a bit lonely and out of sorts!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register