Dumb question about haemorrhoids.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumb question about haemorrhoids.... Dumb question about haemorrhoids....

Unread 09-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Dumb question about haemorrhoids....

Please excuse another dumb question (I seem to know so much about computers and so little about my own body!!!) Since all (4) of my surgeries I have ended up with constipation at times - have that under control, but for the last 5 weeks for about an hour before I have a BM my lower abdo cramps something fierce and my rear end hurts after I have the BM. I've been prescribed Colofac and I am having a colonoscopy in late Oct (I suspect IBS). (the earliest I can get an appt) but am seriously wondering if this problem could be a haemorrhoid. I was getting severe gas (as in farting - please 'scuse the expression - no other way to say it) but that seems better now I'm eating smaller meals. Bacon & Beef are the worst offenders as they seem to bind me up. I don't have the alternating runs or stops or some of the classical symptoms of IBS. So, can anyone shed any light on this, please, or am I doomed to a diag. of IBS - I pray not. A suppository for haems. seems to ease the pain. My Mum had haems. but never told me the symptoms (did any of our Mums of that era tell us any of their troubles!!) I think my darling (late)Mum suffered badly from menopause - she never said a word, just cried a lot, and sooooooo moody, and I always thought (I was 15 when she was 50) it was my fault - I'd put little apology notes under her pillow hoping she'd stop crying and talk to me. Stupid me...amazing what we learn as grow older (I'm now 60, and my ignorance on some of the things I don't know disgusts me - I'm making sure my daughter know just "what is what" - she's married with her own family but I don't want her growing up ignorant of her own body language like I have.) Oh, yes, I am on ERT but I still cry sometimes (it's been a traumatic 2 yrs) Thanks everyone for letting me ramble - love to all, Kerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 08:43 PM

Kerry, I have had both hemmorhoids and IBS. The only way I knew I had them was when they actually popped out and/or bled. They were very painful at that time only. As for the IBS, it seems you have some of the classic symptoms...........abd. cramping and rectal pressure after a BM. IBS also causes alot of gas and bloating. If your colonoscopy does not show hemmies or any other disease, then I would suspect your doctor will diagnose you with IBS. s hun!

Emily
Unread 09-12-2005, 11:26 PM
dumb question............

Emily, thankyou so much for your input. Please allow me to ask: do you have a reasonable quality of life even thought you have IBS - so far it seems only bacon or beef upset me - and yes, I do get the gas - bad, but not the bloating, so I think you are probably right, IBS it is. There's no bleeding, no other pain, and the bowel was handled so much in the last 2 yrs (4 lapros), so it's obviously not a happy camper. This came on suddently as IBS does appear to. Thanks again. Need some assurance I can still live a good life, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2005, 05:28 AM

Hi Kerry...I too have had these problems(IBS & hemmroids) and was also diagnosed with diverticulosis. A colonoscopy also revealed a small benign polyp which was removed. After many Dr appts...here is what I have learned. Sometimes you may need to add a fiber supplement. One Dr said to eat one big bowl of cereal a day. Drink lots of fluids. Avoid the trigger foods. And take hot soaks for the "haems" when they act up. I found prep H to be a godsend when they get real inflamed. Try not to strain. I also believe that many surgeries when they manipulate your bowel certainly irritates other organs and it takes time for things to calm down. There are lots of articles about IBS and the foods to avoid. Usually with IBS you can alternate with bouts of diarrhea or constipation. The abdominal gas pains are no fun either. Straining and constipation always make my haems flare up. Hope this helps. Take care...never a stupid question to be asked!
Unread 09-13-2005, 07:50 AM

Kerry, Yes, I do have a good quality of life but when I have an episode of IBS, it is no fun. I take Metamucil(fiber powdered phsyllium that I mix with water) nightly and the doctor put me on Lexapro( anti-anxiety SSRI med) last Nov. when I had a terrible flare-up right before my DD's wedding. Anxiety also plays a big part in IBS. But most days I am fine and enjoy my life. Here is a good link from WebMDHealth:
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/5/1680_51485.htm

Emily s
Unread 09-13-2005, 07:54 PM

Emily, thankyou for your reassurance. I was feeling so low yesterday - my DH had a serious fall 10 days ago (20ft from a roof) and is very, very bruised and sore, and naturally, unhappy. He's a very fit 59 and always busy!! So I guess all the stress of that plus my own worries made the situation worse. I know stress can agravate IBS (I'm assuming it's that until I have the colonoscopy, and praying it's nothing more). Thanks to ALL the sisters for their support over the last 2 years - I don't have sisters (real) so you girls are all I have, thankyou!
My best friend is to have a hyster. in 3 weeks and I am so scared for her (I'm trying so hard not to show it for her sake), and I want to be strong and able to help her recover. I think, with God's help, I can do that. I think I can help my DH recover too. I just need to have Faith that I can help myself and go on to live a good life and be a good person. I hope this "misery guts" episode it only that - a hiccup in proceedings. Love to all, Kerry
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:41 PM

Hi Kerry,
I have had some similar symtoms. But, I also know that if I do not take my Citrucel tablets, every day , and sometimes twice a day , as recommended by my doctor, then I have problems. I also know if I do not watch my diet (not eating too much heavy foods), then I will have trouble. Citrucel is fiber tabs. They also sell it in powder form , I believe, but it is easier for me to take tabs. I find smaller meals and less of them help me. Also, if I eat too much potatoes, or pasta, then I am miserable. I have a good tendency to get bloated. Please do not berate yourself over stuff you do not know. I am "older" just like you, and my parents kept a whole lot of secrets from me, so I guess it was just what they did back then. We are constantly learning and that is good, huh??. All the best to you, Reeni Oh , yes, I also had one of those lovely colonoscopies, but they said everything was all right , I think it was about three years ago, so we will hope and pray that you will also get good news, and will just be told to take fiber also. Good luck
Unread 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM

Hi Kerrie, I am from Sydney Australia, and had my surgery (LAVH) 11 days ago.
I found it amazing as I read your thread and the resulting posts... I am experiencing the same problems with gas pain, bloating, painful BM movements, and back-end pressure/pain. I already know I have hemmies as they reared their ugly heads during my pregnancies.
I got onto my surgeon last night about it & the fact that I seem to be having regular "hot Flushes" ever since surgery and he is sending me back to the G.P.
My grandfather had Diverticulosis... and I not 100% sure what the consequences of that even are ! But I guess I'll probably be following your colonoscopy path sometime in the near future ! Next life, I'm definately coming back as a MAN !!!!
Best of luck to you and let us know how everytrhing goes ! Jenny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register