Update On My Sister's Second Surgery... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update On My Sister's Second Surgery... Update On My Sister's Second Surgery...

Unread 09-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Update On My Sister's Second Surgery...

Hi All~

We were given GREAT news for now. My sister's PET/CT scan was clean, no signs of cancer. I was elated, my sister was guarded. She's been there, done that before, only to have had the recurrence. I told her this is the best news we could have gotten and she must maintain a positive attitude now. She is still undergoing chemo and the scan will be repeated in 3 months to have another look see. The Dr also commented on how extremely pleased he was with how all of the re sectioning he had to do had healed.
For more great news, he felt certain he would now be able to completely remove the stent, he didn't feel as though it would need to be replaced for another 3 months.

I choose to believe that since she now has one of the top DR's in the country, and that he was able to remove all of the cancer during surgery and found the most beneficial chemo for her by running the assay, her prognosis will improve. Two things I don't believe my sister ever had the benefit of when initially DX'd. All I do know is that MD Anderson turned her away with no hope and only God knows where she would be now, as the cancer was growing so rapidly, had she not received this second surgery at Hopkins.

My 6 week post op check went well. I have been cleared for all activities. We had a lengthy discussion regarding my surgical menopause symptoms and what homeopathic methods I have been trying. With that, the DR told me he felt 100% confident that I could be given the estrogen patch at the lowest dosage with almost no risk involved.

My best to everyone, I'm always thinking of each and every one of you!

's
Heni
PS...My brother-in-law just called, my sister's stent was indeed REMOVED...YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2005, 07:09 AM

I am sure you're a great source of courage and support to your sister, which, as you're aware is of such importance. It is a blessing that you have each other. Also that she was able to get into such good hands for care. May I recommend a book. It is The Anatomy of Hope, by Jerome Groopman, subtitled, "How People Prevail in the Face of Illness." I haven't read this book yet. When my sister was first diagnosed w/ Stage IV liver cancer, but I read his other work, [u]The Measure of Our Days." It was superb. The former has a front page with the following: "Pandora, the first mortal woman, received from Zeus a box that she was forbidden to open. The box contained all human blessings and all human curses. Temptation overcame restraint, and Pandora opened it. In a moment, all the curses were released into the world, and all the blessings escaped and were lost--except one: hope. Without hope, mortals could not survive." Here's what's on the back jacket. "With appreciation for the human elements and for science, Groupman explains how to distinguish true hope from flase -- and how to gain an honest understanding of the reach and limits of this essential emotion." And -- "This book is the guide and the promise that all of us --patients and doctors alike--have been seeking in the quest for hope admid the trials and fears of illness."

- know that God holds you in the hollow of his hand.
Unread 09-14-2005, 07:17 AM

Huge s Heni

I am delighted that your family finally received some encouraging news!!! Perhaps in 3 months, if all is still well, she will get a chemo break and officially dance with NED?

oxoxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2005, 07:34 AM

That is most excellent news.
WhooHoo!!!!!!

snickers
Unread 09-14-2005, 07:38 AM

wonderful news Heni s

I am so happy for you and your sister. I know first hand how difficult it is do see a sister go thru this ordeal. My sister is currently in chemo for the 2nd time for a reoccurence of breast ca.

May your sister continue to improve every day. The ballroom has plenty of room for another. Tell her to get her dancing shoes shined up and come join the others that are dancing with NED.

Unread 09-14-2005, 10:39 AM

What great news! Don't you just love the news that makes you smile and want to shout "hooray?" May your sister keep on with good scans and reports.
Unread 09-14-2005, 10:56 AM

Ladies~

Thanks so much.
One main point I really wanted to get across is that of NEVER LOSING HOPE!

While I realize this is in no way a cure for my sister's ovca, I pray and believe that there is now renewed HOPE for remission after being told there were no options available to her (MD Anderson). What a blessed day it will be when a CURE is found!

I just want to say that even if one DR or cancer center tells you it is hopeless...keep the faith and seek out other opinions...thank God, I never stopped searching for someone to help my sister.
Unread 09-14-2005, 11:07 AM

Glad to hear your sister received such good news!

This is such proof that second opinions do make a difference.

s
Jane
Unread 09-14-2005, 11:19 AM

thankyou for being an inspiration. Everyone needs someone to fight for them!

Blessings
Unread 09-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Good news is always great to hear.
May you and your family continue to have nothing but good news.

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register