Getting In a Mess | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting In  a Mess Getting In a Mess

Unread 03-30-2001, 02:09 AM
Getting In a Mess

Two weeks ago I discovered this site, and thank god.
Introduction - I'm 32, live in Hampshire, England, have two adopted boy's youngest nearing 4 and eldest 5. TAH/BSO 7 March 2001.

Doctor and Consultant explained procedures to me, but very little as to what to expect afterwards, a very basic guideline pamphlet provided. Post-op check-up due at six weeks (mine seven due to Easter Holiday).

Many of my early queries and much needed reassurance has been found here in the messages and replies posted by you great people.

First two weeks I have sailed through with little pain and few problems. HOWEVER, this week 3, nightmare don't know what's gone wrong, emotionally and physically. Can't even seem to manage what I have been doing in week two, nothing silly honest. No lifting, or vacumming, shopping or anything like that. From day two I have made a point of showering, dressing and painting face in morning, slowly building walks, and generally pottering. Yesterday, got kids ready for school (DH had make packed lunches) eldest collected by friend, walked youngest to and from pre-school about 1 and half mile round trip. Whilst free from children sorted through backlog of mail, dealt with responses etc. Friend came and collected us and took us to her house for lunch and much needed change of scenery, then round to collect my eldest son from school. Home to meet hubby for return to school for appointment with class teacher. Nice leisurely day, yes.

But oh no, pain worse than I have had so far, everything hurts, shoulders, lower back, knees, either side of incision and feeling like everything pulling and going to drop out. Haven't taken any pain killers for over a week but pumped them last night. Still very achey this morning.

And, really going for the whinges now (sorry) have been emotionally strange for the last few days, feel like if any minor thing happens I could cry my eyes out. Have only actually cried twice. This has surprised me because I have been on hrt for past 5 months (due to chemically forced menopause) so I would have thought hormonally I would be balanced. I have looked forward to getting this hysterectomy over and done with, so it's not due to any regrets or sad feelings of loss.

Anyway, this was not intended as an epilogue, if you made it this far without falling asleep, LOL I would appreciate any clarity anyone can offer.

THANK YOU for listening xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2001, 04:28 AM
Getting In a Mess

Call the pillow police! Now, I know you said you felt like you had a nice leisurely day yesterday (and maybe it was compared to what your days looked like before surgery), but at 3 weeks post, it sounds like part of your problem may be that you overdid it! Go to bed! Put up your feet! Walking a mile and a half and going to lunch and meetings all in one day! I didn't even hear you say anything about a nap. Please go easy on yourself. You are very early in your recovery, and you need rest so you can heal well. I know other sisters will reinforce this.

I can't answer about the hormone thing, but I'm sure other sisters will be along who can!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-30-2001, 05:50 AM
Getting In a Mess

Sunshine - I had tah/bso last March. You need to SLOW down. Anest. stays in your system for a few weeks...so it can give you a false sense of "feeling no pain". You have an external incision and LOTS of internal stitches that need to heal. My internal stitches started dissovling week 3...but still had some at 5 weeks. Even after stitches dissolve the areas stitched together are weak and fragile.

The more you are up and about during the day..the more inflammation/swelling and pain you'll experience.

Initial recovery time is 6 - 8 weeks...you're approximately 1/2 way there. REST with your feet up...pace yourself....your body will thank you.

Since your in soooo much pain right now...I'd say the best thing you could do for a couple of days...is LAY DOWN - stay there - and flip through some television channels In a couple of days you will feel better...but that does not mean to resume activities like the one that caused the pain you're in now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2001, 06:09 AM
Getting In a Mess

You are doing way too much so early in your recovery. Please slow down and REST !! I am 9 weeks post op and I could not walk 1 1/2 miles. If I am on my feet for a few hours at a time, I still get very tired ,sore, and irritable and "swelly belly" gets huge. Get lots of rest. Read or watch TV with lots of pillows. You only have one chance to heal properly. I wish you the best for a speedy recovery.

TAH/BSO 1/25/01

Unread 03-30-2001, 07:24 AM
Getting In a Mess

I agree with the sisters....you did alot!

My procedure was March 5, and the 3 week mark and the days just before it were the hardest I experienced. I had my first discharge, alot of pulling and burning, and no energy at all.

I was also very weepy and emotional. Now just a few days later, I feel alot better. This does seem to follow a definite pattern. I'd say just get yourself to bed or the couch, get those feet up, and relax. Do a little, rest a little. If you have a busy few hours, get on the couch for the next few.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Karen
Unread 03-30-2001, 09:48 AM
Take it easy!

Welcome to a fellow Brit.This site is a lifesaver.My message to you is---TAKE IT EASY!That was not an easy day!I am 6weeks and have not had my checkup yet.After driving a bit this week and being out and about,I felt shattered and am back to afternoonrests.I had the aches and bad pulling on the stitches.This is our 1 chance to heal and we must listen to our bodies as well as other sisters advice.Look at a timescale of 3 months before you are back to light activities.Happy resting to you.Soon the sun will be out and we can sit in the garden(I am in rainy Wales which is a drawback!)
Dee
Unread 03-30-2001, 09:56 AM
ME TO !!

I know how you feel I was same way third week it all hit!! take it easy and slow down I am trying to find every way possiable to slow down also. Gone back to work at two weeks and I hurt! I know my own fault.

Good Luck!
Unread 03-30-2001, 11:06 AM
Getting In a Mess

The famous 3 week wall. Lots of us hit it. You are feeling better overdoing things and wham your body tells you to SLOW DOWN NOW! You really are doing too much you will tend to feel your surgery more in the 3-4 week period than you did before take some extra time to rest with your feet up. And remember sitting is not considered resting it is an activity as you are putting pressure on all those internal stitches and weakened muscles.

Good luck and listen to your body.
Unread 03-30-2001, 12:06 PM
Getting In a Mess

Hugs to you as I hope you take all the previous replies to heart and REST, REST, REST. You know you over did it, now, I hope. So take your body's warning to heart and REST, REST, REST. This is MAJOR surgery, be sure to treat it as such.

Enough lecturing, a big hug as you get comfy in bed.
Unread 03-30-2001, 02:17 PM
Getting In a Mess

I tried a 1-1/2 mile walk at 3-1/2 weeks. Big mistake. I hardly made it home (uphill!), and it was all I could do to keep my eyes open until I got to the couch to lie down.

I agree, the Pillow Police should be promptly dispatched to your house. The "leisurely day" you described included enough activity for a whole week.

As for being emotional, it isn't necessarily hormonal. Same thing can happen after heart surgery, knee surgery, illness... I think it's mostly physiological (exhaustion!), with a little pain, helplessness, and frustration thrown in for good measure. Keep the tissues handy, and don't worry about it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register