Contact lenses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Contact lenses Contact lenses

Unread 09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Contact lenses

I use contact lenses and without them I can see nothing at all :eyes: . Don't have glasses. I'm pretty sure they wont allow me to use contacts during surgery, but does anyone knows when I'm going to be able to put them on again? When do I have to take them out? I'm going to be pretty lost without them....I mean I'm almost blind!!!!! without them...

Also, I take them out to sleep. Am I going to be able to put them on and take them out to sleep that first day after surgery? Or..should I start to think about adding to my list on "things to bring to the castle" a new pair of glasses? Is this a silly question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Contact lenses

Hi there! Nope this is not a silly question. My eyes are exactly like yours. And yes, I did have to take them out before I went to surgery. So take your case and solution and have the person who is with you hold onto that for ya. When you come out of surgery, hopefully they will take you almost straight to your room. Or let your loved one say "hi" real quick. If that happens then
you can get them in. Of course you will be lying flat on your back so it's hard. Now in my case I didnt go straight to my room, I had to wait for 4 hours before one was ready. So I was in the land of Blur for quite a while. But I didn't mind because I was too tired to care.
And since I spent all that time in the post op ward they were constantly checking on me and talking to me.
Unread 09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Contact lenses

I'm pretty blurry eyed also. I didn't even bring my contacts to the castle, but I do have glasses for backup. When I got into the OR, the nurse took my glasses and put them in the bag with my clothes. When I woke up they gave the glasses back to me. I was drifting in and out of sleep all day, so the contacts wouldn't have been any use to me. I liked having my glasses so I could see the TV until I drifted off to sleep again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Contact lenses

I can relate to this one!

I didn't bring my contacts to the castle at all -- too much to bother with. I left my glasses with my dh, but I know at my castle they will take them and put them right next to you if you feel you want them as soon as you wake up in recovery.

I wouldn't have felt like putting my contacts in or taking them out, with all the drifting in and out of sleep immediately after surgery.

IMHO, I would do just as you suggest yourself -- put a new pair of glasses on that list of "things to bring". You still have time to do it without the added expense of a rush delivery.

P.S. Consider taking a small light-up travel alarm clock with you to put on your bed tray. I did, and it was a godsend. I didn't have to fumble for my glasses to be able to see the clock on the wall at night!

Hope this helps.
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Contact lenses

Thank you ladies. At least now I know more what to expect. I guess I'll be shopping for glasses this weekend!! The last time I did that, was about 10 years ago!!!! mjd your small light-up travel alarm clock suggestion is great...I can't even see my hand in my face without lenses!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register