need to vent, am I crazy??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

need to vent, am I crazy??? need to vent, am I crazy???

Unread 09-16-2005, 12:05 PM
need to vent, am I crazy???

(((Mel))) best of luck with your upcoming surgery... I do hope it really lets you put everything behind you now and get on with your "real" life

Since your surgery date is so soon, you might want to check with your DR on all the meds and supplements/vitamins you're on, to see if there are any you need to discontinue prior to surgery. Mine typically won't let me have any aspirin, ibuprofen, Vitamins C or E, echinacea or anything with those in them. You wouldn't want to jeopardize your surgery date unknowingly because of taking something, even something OTC like a sleep aid, which has one of those in it, if your DR doesn't want you to.

I find the best way to ensure that I get some sleep is to make sure my hormones are balanced. I use a little progesterone cream only at night, and that helps. I also take 5-HTP (a precursor of tryptophan, the substance in turkey that makes us sleepy after Thanksgiving dinner) regularly, and the Sleepytime Extra tea can help too. Some ladies also find that some warm Ovaltine does the trick.

Hang in there! I hope everything goes well with your surgery.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Hey All,
I just wanted to give you a little up date on my sleeping issue, well I just wanted to let you know that now I know I am going crazy and will never sleep again!
I was all prepared for bed last night and my youngest son came to me and told me he didn't feel well, no temp so I just talked and snuggled with him and then I noticed this bit mark on his arm from an insect or something well then I noticed a red line from his wrist past his elbow! I spent the most part of the night in the er...his bite got infected and he had blood poisoning! He is better today, they had to give him a shot in the bum that was hard to watch...I will never sleep again now, I am overly exausted now! Help!!

Mel
Unread 09-18-2005, 09:55 AM

Mel -
How awful! How frightened you and your little one must have been! I'm glad he is ok, though!

TRY to get some sleep - I know it seems impossible - but you are only going to make yourself feel worse. And it's going to be continually harder to function throughout the day!

Lot's of gentle S heading your way - and I'm hoping that the Sandman will be there too!

Cortney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2005, 08:08 PM

Thanks Cortney,

I hope the sandman can visit me soon too! It has been so hard to rest, I am so scared about my up coming surgery, and now my son...he is better but I have to wake him in the middle of the night to give him his meds. Now I know I am doomed, no rest for the weary!!!

Mel
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:43 AM

Mel,

Did they figure out what bit your DS???? I hope that he is doing better!!!! I bet you were both freaked out!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there sweetie!!!! It isn't much longer, this week will fly by and we will have our turn at getting some much needed rest!!!!!!

jody
Unread 09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Michelle, Mel, Jody and I are in the castle same time!

(((((((Linda))))))))))
Glad you mentioned the ibuprofen, thats what I have been using for past two weeks, better wind down. Paracetemol should be ok though?
Mel you sure have got your hands full, I hope you get a chance to rest and get prepared for your surgery. I am so terrified of surgery, I am palpitating right now, everytime I allow myself to think about it. Which isn't easy as I have trawled the net for info and pics! lol!
I had a very near death experience last week, because I stopped taking the pain medication that I had been taking all summer. Apparently it's dangerous to just stop taking some, you have to slowly wean them out of your system. I ended up in A&E and was so ill for a week. Night terrors and the worst sweats I have ever experienced, I don't complain so much about the hot flashes now! I still haven't slept a single night thru, 3 or 4 times a night I am so wide awake.
I'd like to wish all my sisters facing surgery soon all the very best.
hugs
Sue
x
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:53 AM

Hey Sue,
It is comforting to know that we are not alone, knowing there are others out there going thru the same thing! As aggravating as it is I know I only have 1 week to go on like this. I go for my pre-op visit this morning!!! Now I am really freaking out!!! I swear, it is on my mind 24/7...When is your surgery?? I wish you the best and hopefully some sleepy nights!

Your Sleepless friend in the US!
's
Mel
Unread 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM

Hi Mel Pleased to meet you
I am scheduled for anterior and posterior repair & TVT on 27th Sept. I was originally scheduled to have wound re-opened and bowels seperated from my abdominal wall, but I was too scared to go thru with that. I am just gonna see how I am after this. I am soooo scared of the surgery Mel. It's getting worse, but you are right, it helps when you don't feel you are the only one.
I'm also trying to get some organisation going in this house! I have a very large dependent family to care for, and they are all so used to having me do everything! It's hard to take it easy when you are on auto! I now know that I didn't take my resting post tah/bso seriously enough. So it's really important that we are good princesses when we get home!
Thanks for your support, I don't know where I'd be if not for this site.
Any tips for pre op nerves are welcome!
Big hugs to all

Sue
x
ps. and tips on housekeeping during recovery - please
Unread 09-20-2005, 07:35 PM

Hello Again Sue,

If you have read any of my other posts, you would see that I am not handling my pre surgery jitters too well!! . I will be in the hospital the same week you are, just 2 days later. I am totally feeling the pressure of trying to get everything and everyone prepared for my recovery. It is so hard, I can't sleep or stay out of the bathroom!!
I am having my incision reopened!! I am soo scared because after my hystr. my incision opened all the way!! It took 6 months to close....I am terrified!!! Wish me luck!

Take Care Friend I will be thinking of you during my recovery, You get to go first, so let me know how you are when you are able!!

Mel
Unread 09-21-2005, 03:06 PM

Hiya Mel
You may not feel it right now Mel, but you are so brave. Especially after what you have had to put up with already. We know it's gonna be hard for us when we get home, and that only makes us more anxious. Are you eating ok and taking proper care of yourself? (I know I'm not!) I have to force myself to feed! This keeping busy thing is wearing me down too!
I am not entirely sure I have made the right decision regarding the surgery, I will just have to wait and see what happens. My large bowel is adhered to the inside of abdomen on right and my small bowel, quite a lot on this side he said, stuck to abdomen on left. I found that strange as all my pain is on the right side! I got to thinking maybe it isn't that causing the pain. It seems there are many sisters have this problem and it occurs during an abdominal hyster.
I haven't had my pre op visit yet! They are cutting it a bit fine - I am just wanting it over with! Yikes, palpitations......this waiting and dreading is so hard.
I hope you are feeling better soon, keep me posted please.
hugs
Sue
x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register