Last minute, and I mean last minute questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last minute, and I mean last minute questions Last minute, and I mean last minute questions

Unread 09-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Last minute, and I mean last minute questions

I have a couple questions that have just hit me like a Mack Truck.

1. I have, of course, started my period. I am scheduled for surgery at 1:50 Monday [tomorrow]. Do I go in with a tampon...a pad...both??? What? I have to be there 2 hours early, so I'll need to change all of the above.

2. Do they remove the pad/tampon once you are in the operating room, in the pre procedure room or when?

3. Two hours early...why? I know they have paper work and all those warning papers [liability] you have to sign, but then what. Am I going to be waiting in a waiting room for a while, will they just go ahead and take me back for a quick shave and IV...or what?

I think that is it, until something slaps me in the face around 4 a.m., that is when it usually does. I've decided my robe is too warm, no time to go get another...that type of thing. Forgot my disposable camera, and I do want photos of that monster, so we will pick one up on the way to the hospital.

See...wow, who knew I could spas like this!!! LOL, I know all will be well, will be fine, and I'll come out of this thankful for the quality of life it has left me with.

Love to all you princesses and angels who have been of great comfort, wonderful teachers, support and giving hearts. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2005, 08:17 PM

Hi!

I too was bleeding on the day of my surgery. They let me wear my underwear and pad until they were ready to wheel me up to the OR. Then you take off your underwear and have to wear one of their pads between your legs. They will take care of the rest.

The two hours passes by pretty quickly. You change into the gown, they start your IV and you sign any forms that need to be signed. I do not think that they will shave you since you are having a TAH.

Good luck!!
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:24 PM

I had a TAH and had to be shaved but my Mom had one 6 mths ago so I had a heads up and shaved myself. I wouldn't do it though unless you checked with your DR. first some let you shave yourself and some don't.
I hope everything goes well for you , it doesn't seem like it right now but tomorrow will go by fast..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2005, 08:28 PM
shaving

Hi!

I had a TAH/BSO 3 weeks ago. Where exactly did you shave? I do not think that they shaved me.
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:35 PM

karen,
we really must be twins...
i started my period Sat.... but i had told my dr. that i would be due to start on Monday and he told me to wear a pad to the hospital and that i would then change and put on a hospital pad just before they took me back to the or.I dread the thought of being on my period through the surgery but they said it worked out well for me since i would be bleeding afterward anyway. good luck tomorrow and try and get some sleep tonight...i'm going to try to sleep but I doubt that i will be able to.
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyr
Hi!

I had a TAH/BSO 3 weeks ago. Where exactly did you shave? I do not think that they shaved me.
I shaved the hair in the bikini area.[very carefully!]
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Thank you for the reply. I ummm...usually stay pretty trimmed up in that area [swim a lot, so I just groom away! ], so no problem there.

Thank you for the pad info as well. So do not wear a tampon to the hospital? Just a pad? Won't matter how good I am groomed if I do that. I'll be a bloody mess. LOL.

Bernice,
I have worn myself to a frazzle with the house cleaning and then the kids coming over because they wanted to help make me feel better [and they actually did]. I'm telling you, tomorrow can't come soon enough for either of us. We just need this over with! I'll be hoping and praying for some restful sleep for both of us.

Thank you all for the replies. I guess a pad it is tomorrow. My poor uterus is hard and sore and cramping like all get out. I think it is putting up a fuss because it knows this is it's last hoorah!

Bernice...good luck darlin'. You and I are going to do phenomenally. I am going to hold that thought, and will talk to you in a week or so!
Unread 09-18-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyr
Hi!

Me neither, however I lost some hair when she removed the banages that were taped to my tummy.
YEE-ouch!!!!
Unread 09-18-2005, 11:50 PM

I also was bleeding when I went in...when was I NOT bleeding before my TAH???? Anyway, I wore a tampon and a pad. They asked for a urine specimen (for pregnancy test), so I removed the tampon then. I asked the pre-op nurse to put a waterproof pad on the gurney and a pad to put in place without any undies. She was very understanding and acted like it was not big deal.

The two hours went quickly. First the nurse talks to you and goes over all your information and takes your vitals. Then they give you lovely white stockings to put on your legs, to prevent blood clots. You put on a gown and they put a warm blanket on you. Then they started the IV and drew a fresh blood sample. The anesthesiologist came in to talk about anesthesia and pain management, my GYN came in for one last check and ran through details about the incision, ovaries, etc. Then a nurse came in to shave me (I had a TAH). She was very discreet and only used an electric razor. She shaved down to the area above the pubic bone.

Good luck and try to rest (yeah, right!).
Have a smooth recovery.

Maggiemay
Unread 09-18-2005, 11:54 PM

Hi: I had my TAH/RSO 5 days ago...I was on my period also and I wore a pad in and then they had me just put one between my legs when I changed into my gown. I too had to be there 2 hours early and went by fast. They check you in, sign any additional papers, go over your history, start an IV, Anesthesiology comes and talks to you and also my doctor came in also. I will be sending good thoughts your way. You will be fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register