going back to work 4 days before post-op.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

going back to work 4 days before post-op.. going back to work 4 days before post-op..

Unread 09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
going back to work 4 days before post-op..

well i'm thinking about going back to work tommrow.. it will be 4 days shy of 6 weeks ..i'm only going in 2 days tuesday and thursday. my post-op is on the 27th..i feel pretty good i really need to go.i'm a receptionist at a hair salon and my job is alot of sitting...i know everyone says to listen to my body i just wonder if going to work will ruin anything??? i wont pick up anything heavy and i'm not planning on standing for long periods of times... i hope my Dr. doesn't yell at me i do as much at home as i would be doing at work.... any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Hi there

I have a mostly sitting job, but have the flexibility of moving around, when needed. I remember that when I returned to work, at 5 1/2 weeks post-op (after being released by my doctor), I was amazed at how much of an activity sitting truly is

You know your body best, but you also need to remember that you only have one chance to heal right, and this is it. 4 more days may make a huge difference between going back to work in good form or ending up having another setback
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:12 PM

Coffee:

Take care of you. If someone is pushing you to go back to work without your doctor's clearance, shame on that person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2005, 02:44 PM

hey coffee!

You know I'm in the biz also....nice thing about being receptionist at the desk is that you usually have the option to get up and walk around, not to mention the socialization...so if you are feeling up to it, give it a try and if it is too much, then you'll just need to pack up and go and not return till next week. They've gone this long without you, they'll be able to handle another week. Just take care of yourself!!
Unread 09-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Hey coffee,
I went back to work last week (4 weeks post-op) from my anterior repair work/bladder sling surgery. I also have a desk job (or so I thought) and it is very tiring just working part-time. My dr. wanted me out for another 2 weeks, but he said if I felt up to it, I could try part-time, which I am. My office has started to load me up with work, and at first I felt overwhelmed, but knowing that I can pack up at 1 p.m. instead of 5 p.m. and leave makes it alot easier. My advice is this: just listen to what you body tells you. I know if I need to, I can leave at any time. I work for a great group of people, but you know once you're back, they all think you're "Completely" healed.
Think about it.
Karen
Unread 09-19-2005, 03:25 PM

i know that's what i'm afraid of..my boss is pretty understanding but i know that once i walk in that door they will assume that i can do everything i did pre-op and i cannot! i'm terrified that i'm going to over due it and i don't want ANYTHING TO FALL this surgery was the most painful,longest hardest! thing i have ever gone thru
hummm i'm going to take your advice i'm going to try tommrow and if i'm tried,hurting or anything that makes me uncomfortable i'm going home and that's it till next week.. thanks for the advice
Unread 09-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Hi
It is up to you, but your dr. put you off that long for a reason. Please don't overdo it. I was off for 8 weeks after my posterior repairs. The difference is I have a physical job. I know you may feel up to it, but you won't be able to go lye down if you need to.
Please think carefully about this before you go back.

Good luck and take care of yourself
Peggy
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:26 AM

well i have thought long and hard and i'm not going today! i have come this far,and to screw up now would be stupid... my job is a desk job,but there is alot of running aroung i have 3-4 phone lines that ring off the hook,supplies to put away invoices that need filed not to mention the stations (there are 3) need to be cleaned all the time state board is very strict.. so i have been thinking and sitting is only one part of my job.plus i only work tuesday and thursday,but they are 10 hours day and that seems soooo long right now.. thanks for the advice i'm almost done (BROKE) but almsot done....thanks again ladies
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:33 AM
Good Idea

Hi coffee,
Just me again. I'm glad to see you thought about not going back to work until after your post-op next week. Enjoy the rest of your time off. I'm on my way out the door right now for another day. Sure wish I could just lie in bed and watch the Today show. I miss that. Well, talk again soon.
Karen
Unread 09-20-2005, 07:43 AM

I am glad you decided to wait. I feel it is best to wait until your dr. clears you. My job won't allow me to return until they have the all clear to work paper.With the 4 surgeries I've had in the last 16 months my finances are a wreck, but what difference would it make if I am in a physical mess? I am probably facing back surgery soon, but don't want it. I know I have to do what my surgeon recommends or I may not be able to walk and enjoy my future.
Have a good last few days off. You will be back to work before you know it.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register