The Hospital called me today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Hospital called me today The Hospital called me today

Unread 09-19-2005, 07:14 PM
The Hospital called me today

Well Ladies,
The hospital called me today reguarding my minor surgery this past Friday and the reaction I had to the Anesthesia. She told me No more elective surgerys until they figure out why I keep haveing all these reactions.
She told me alot about what did happen with my reaction and she said it wasnt good! She pushed me to get that medic alert bracelet also! She did ask me if I was sore muscle wise. She said with all the clenching and straining and locking up of the muscles that was happening she thought for sure I'd be sore. My muscles are "tired" thats what it feels like to me.
She told me to talk it over with my surgen and see what he thinks about it all. I did call my Neurologist office today and let them know of the latest reaction. They said they would get the records from the hospital and my Neuro would call me.
And I also called my GP's office so they would have the info also.
I told this Nurse how confused about all of this I am, and that none of it makes any since!! And she said no, it dosent make since , however its real, it did happen, and I really should go for this extensive testing! Why is nothing just plain cut and dryed with me! Everything is bazzar, or rare!
I have been corisponding with an Anesthestist on-line and here word for me is Enigma!! Well there you go Ladies,
I'll just change my call name to ENIGMA...and you'll all know who it is!!
I also set up my appt for my pelvic and abdominal CT scan, that will be this Thursday. What is up with this...contrast...you have to drink? I hope I'm NOT allergic to that!!! They said as long as I'm not allergic to shell fish I should be ok....but then again they don't know...I'm an enigma!!!
I have my mammogram the day before, I just figured I'd get everything done while I'm still in pain from the surgery anyway!!
No, actually I feel pretty good as far as the surgery went, my feet are the worst of course. But my face is a little sore..really more itchie , and the lovely black eye I ended up with, that is sore too, but nothing intolorable! I wonder...maybe they gave me a good right hook rather than another dose of Propofal! What do you think? She said I really bounced my head off that rail several times before they could get control of me!
So the long drawn out saga continues....Should be interesting! Take care all....Netty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2005, 10:27 PM

I have never heard of such a bad reaction to anesthesia. I feel bad for you. I hate to bare the bad news, but when I had my cat scan I had to drink 2 bottles of that barium contrast before I went to have the scan. I also had to drink a cup right before the test. They also put a IV in my hand to run some sort of dye into me. Drinking the stuff was the worst. The test part wasn't bad at all.
I hope all goes well. Let us know.
Peggy
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:12 AM

I've had tow ab/pelvic CT's The first one I did have to drink two bottles of stuff. The second I just had to drink 3 big glasses of water.

I've learned of a woman who couldn't tolerate anestesia and she used hypnosis for a major surgery. Might be an option for you.

I'm sorry your troubles keep going and going. The new name is catchy, "Enigma"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2005, 06:13 AM

Peggy,
What is the reason for the contrast?? Another question...TMI but...does it make you poop??The IV part I understand but not the contrast?! Any info. would be apreicated!...Netty
Unread 09-20-2005, 07:02 AM

's Netty aka Enigma!

I am so sorry to hear you are going through all of this! I just wanted to wish you luck on your up coming tests! I sure hope you can get some answers soon. I just can't imagine going through all of that! You sure are a strong woman!!
Take Care!
Mel
Unread 09-20-2005, 07:53 AM

Netty!

The oral contrast is used during CT's of the Abd and Pelvis because as it works it's way through your system, it enables the scanner to get better pictures of your internal organs. Generally you don't take oral contrast for CT's of the extremities, head, or chest. Some hospitals flavor their oral contrast - ours has a lemonade flavor to it. It's still gross! But from what I hear, it's better than the old barium stuff! And in SOME people, the contrast may cause your bowell habits to change for a day or so. If you have ANY concerns, call the hospital or facility that you are going to for the CT and ask to speak with a CT Tech or a Radiologist. They can go over your concerns, and help to answer your questions. Oh yeah, and about the Shellfish - generally speaking - people who do not have an allergy to iodine or shellfish (which contains a high amount of iodine) do pretty well with the contrast. That's why they ask. If a person has ever had a bad reaction to contrast, shellfish, or iodine then they tend to be premedicated by the deptartment prior to your appointment. So again, if you think there is a chance that you might have a reaction, by all means, call and talk to them about it!

I hope you are able to get some answers! And PLEASE follow up to get that Med Alert bracelet!

s
Cortney
Unread 09-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Thank You Ladies,
Now today my muscles are weak! I mentioned to my Father today when he came for coffee, I'm going to have to start doing something physical real soon, I've got to go back to work Monday!!
The reaction I had in November, When I was paralysed...I returned to work I guess it was a week and a half later, I worked for 7 days and then herniated a disk in my lower back and was out of work for 6 weeks!!! God I hope that don't happen again!! Right now I do have 2 buldging disks in my neck and have been tolerating them(this too happened since my last episode). I just really NEED answers NOW!!
I hope my Neuro calls me tomorrow, I need to talk to her!! This is getting to be too much!! Ok, enough of that!! See that...caught myself!!
I think I'll go on-line tonight and see if I can order a med alert bracelet. I don't think I should skirt around that anymore either!!
Thanks for the info on the contrast...sounds like fun!! I do have to have my Mammogram tomorrow, and will talk to tech reguarding the contrast, and potty part of it. As far as allergy, I "shouldnt" have a problem, as a matter of fact it was about 3 weeks ago I had a huge plate of shrimp, so I sould be fine!
Tacy....hypnosis, and me...???I don't know girl!! I really have a hard time staying serious for too long! I did try hypnosis to quit smokeing I just couldnt take it seriously. Not that I don't believe it works for some people, but I just seem to really crack up laughing..!I know for my mother, she lost a whole lot of weight through hypnosis. I don't think it would be a good combination for the O.R. and me!!
And Mel....Yes, that would be me....the ENIGMA!! It does have a certian ring to it hay? But hay , it IS ME...in a nut shell..totaly unexplainable!!!! Until next time Ladies.....Netty aka...ENIGMA!!
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Hi Netty
I had a abdominal cat scan when I was having such a hard time having a bm after my hyster. I had to drink 2 bottles of that stuff, because it shows up your abdominal organs. The cat showed I had a bowel impaction with alot of bm behind it. After I got home I went and went. My dr. warned me it might do that too me. It was too bad the hard stole didn't come out. I had to take fleet phos. to work that out.
Please do call the radiology dept if you have any concerns. They were more than happy to answer a question for me when I called them early the morning of my scan.
Good luck and I hope all goes well with you.
Peggy
Unread 09-20-2005, 10:55 PM

Hi Again Ladies,
You can now rest...I ordered my bracelet, and I'm registered as of now soo I guess I'm covered!
Peggy....Thanks for the info, see thats what I'm afraid of...with my IBS issues and rectocele I have a real problem holding it when it's diarrea, and on the occation I do Have a "normal" bm it gets stuck!
I am haveing my mammogram at the same place tomorrow so I'll ask them there when I pick up my cocktail for Thursday. Not looking forward to this! Thanks again...Netty
Unread 09-21-2005, 02:25 PM

Netty, i had two ct scans, i had to drink barium ( 2 cups) , and they put an iv in and even put barium in my rectum. that way they can see everything. Really not so bad, had worse. Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. Hope that you are feeling better. sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register