Reschedule surgery ...hurricane? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Reschedule surgery ...hurricane? Reschedule surgery ...hurricane?

Unread 09-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Reschedule surgery ...hurricane?

Venting .............

Well, I live right in Rita's projected path. Surgery scheduled for Monday. Landfall expected Saturday. Hurricane Claudette knocked out power for around a week and it was between a category 1 and 2. Rita is thougnt to perhaps be between 2 and 3.

Yes, the hospital will have power, regardless, but I probably won't at home. Not exactly great recovery conditions. This being a non emergency surgery, wondering if and when we will reschedule.

Expecting a call from my gyn's office anyway about another matter. Guess I'll take it up with them then. In any case, a decision needs to be made before my preadmit appoint early Thursday morning.

Need all the and s you can spare! I am trying not to take this as a sign from God that I shouldn't do the surgery at all. I hope I am past that part, at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2005, 10:09 AM

Oh Michelle!

I can't even imaging the emotional roller coaster you must be on! Just wait and see what your gyn office has to say. In the meantime I am sending you many many "s and 's!!!!

Be safe, I'll be thinking of you!

Mel
Unread 09-20-2005, 10:15 AM

Michelle, Personally I would reschedule. This is totally elective, so why risk possible problems either at the hospital or at home? It might also distract your family and friends from things they (and you!) could be doing at home as far as protecting property, evacuating, etc.

Just my opinion. I will pray for you when I hear reports of Rita. I didn't realize they thought it was heading for Texas! Everything I've been hearing was talking about the Florida Keys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM

Thanks, sisters.

Heard from my gyn's office and they advise just wait and see and plan on going to the preadmit at the hosp. I told the nurse that if it's likely still headed this way as of tomorrow, I'm rescheduling. Not cancelling. Not chickening out, or anything Just rescheduling at a time of less threatening weather conditions.

Claudette and no electricity is fresh in my mind. And yes, this is an elective procedure, not emergency.

I pray that the storm breaks up/weakens. Please pray for the safety and well being of all and that people heed warnings and seek safer ground.

Thanks again!
Unread 09-20-2005, 11:08 AM

(((Michelle)))
I think it's a good idea to reschedule if it still looks like it's heading our way on Thursday. Hopefully by Thursday, we will have a better idea where it's going.

Off topic, but we cancelled some plans for this weekend just because I want to be at home if Rita decides to come our way.

I am sorry that you may have to reschedule my

Unread 09-20-2005, 11:16 AM

(((Michelle)))
I think it is a good idea, Sister, even though I know you just want to get this taken care of. We are feeling Rita here, in my area, right now, and I will be praying that you guys don't get her wrath too badly, there. Please let us know!

s
Christy
Unread 09-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Michelle,
I too would reschedule, as you said if God forbid....you wouldnt want to be possibly without power in your recover period!!
Take care and stay safe!!...Netty
Unread 09-20-2005, 12:51 PM

I hope everything works out for you Michelle. I know how these surgeries wear on us, even if they aren't emergancies. I couldn't imagine having the hurricane issues to deal with.
I just heard it is going to hit central Texas. Please be careful.
I wish all of you sisters in the hurricane path good luck and I will be praying for you.
Peggy
Unread 09-20-2005, 01:07 PM

Living in orlando I also watched the hurricanes a couple of weeks ago, after seeing New Orleans and I remember the loss of power last year from Charlie, Francis and Jeanne. I had a fear of being in a hospital and them losing power and the AC not being there I understand where your coming from. I will pray for you as I know the lady in waiting has the hardest job. The relief when its over is hard for you to imagine now but its awesome....I can lay on my tummy now and see my toes)
Unread 09-20-2005, 03:52 PM

I am praying for you Michelle, and any sisters having to cope with hurricaines and storms. Please keep safe
hugs
Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register