recovery time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery time? recovery time?

Unread 09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
recovery time?

I'm scheduled for a total hysterectomy on Tuesday Sept 27. I'm a substitute teach and I already accepted a long-term sub position that is to start on Oct 17. I told my doctor about my concerns and he said he sees no reason, other than if I had complications, why I can't start work then. Is he being realistic? I'm sure I can make modifications to the classroom (i.e. using the overhead instead of the board so I can sit), but I'm really wondering about whether I'll really be up to it. I know everyone heals differently, but I'm looking for general advise. I'm in relatively good health other than this 5cm. cyst on my right ovary that is why my doctor opted for the TAH. Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
recovery time?

My first thought was, "Is this doctor insane?" You have a more active job than mine, and my doctor said at least six weeks, maybe more (TAH). It seems unreasonable to me to expect someone to be at work in three weeks with abdominal surgery....
Unread 09-23-2005, 03:26 PM
recovery time?

I am also having a TAH Nov 14, I am in nursing so are jobs are different, but the same. My doctor said look at a window of time off about 6-8 weeks if all went well. I spoke with our D.O. N. and she also had a TAH and told me to take all the time I needed because your body needs to heal. She returned at 6 weeks only to return home the same day and was off another 3 weeks before she could even do light task in nursing. Please take care of yourself, if you over do it you might be down longer than you expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2005, 03:58 PM
recovery time?

I'm with the other sisters. My doctor's standard printed information that he gives his patients lists 6-8 weeks off of work with a TAH. My job can basically be performed sitting down (software developer), so I was allowed to work from home after 4 weeks only if I felt like it. With me, it's not just the physical part, but mentally, I didn't want to deal with all of the stress too soon. Also, like the others, I've talked with too many women that warned me to take all of the time necessary. Otherwise, you just prolong the healing.

I go back to work this Monday. Ugh.

I hope you can get some support from your doctor. And when you do start your new job, I wish you the best!

Best wishes with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 09-23-2005, 04:09 PM
recovery time?

Wow!! Your doctor has never had this surgery) I am at like 16 days and I can not imagine having to go to work! I am not in any major pain but I still have the burning feeling so "ice" my tummy lots....I also have little energy and know after a couple hours sitting evrn my tummy starts to hurt..
Unread 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
recovery time?

Well, I am the exception, not the rule, but I am 7 days post-op and if I were allowed to drive, I would be back at work. I feel great! I am going back to work next Friday and I will be 14 days post-op then. My TAH was smooth and straight-forward, and I am feeling wonderful!
Unread 09-23-2005, 04:29 PM
recovery time?

Thanks for all your advice. I'm trying to get into this school distirct full time, so I don't want to lose my chance by not being able to do this long term position (from 10-17 through Christmas). I did let the powers-that-be know of my situation and that if I couldn't start on 10-17, they'd be prepared. I definately don't want to overdo it, but I also
don't want to blow any chance for full time employment. I guess when it comes to a job interview, I can say that they wouldn't have to pay for a maternity leave for me, or time off for a hysterectomy. That's a positive, huh?
Unread 09-23-2005, 04:32 PM
recovery time?

I'm thinking positively and hope to recover as fast as you, spaceytracey72! May God bless you with your speedy recovery!
Unread 09-23-2005, 08:16 PM
recovery time?

Your Dr. is being totally unrealistic! I am a Homemaker, but I can reassure you if I had a outside job there would have been NO WAY I would go back that soon! I had a LAVH and just the vaginal pressure and discomfort alone would send me packing for home, and that doesn't count for the fatique you are going to experience! Everybody I read so far on hystersisters don't usually get restrictions lifted until 6 weeks post op, and some do get restrictions lifted sooner. I wish you the best and when that time comes to decide to go back to work, listen to your body not the Dr. ~~You are the commander of your body and you know your body the best, rely on it for answers not the medical field. You need to be the final judge in deciding if going back to work is in the best interest during your recovery~~

Take care and I wish you the best!!
Unread 09-23-2005, 10:14 PM
recovery time?

Hi MMullin4,

I agree with the other ladies. 6-8 weeks is generally a standard recovery time for a TAH.

Also, have you possibly gotten a 2nd opinion?? Maybe you are a candidate for a less invasive surgery such as a laparoscopic surgery?? Here is a link that goes over the different types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

I had a LSH, a less invasive hyst and I was back to work before 3 weeks. I just had to take it slow. With the 5 cm cyst you described, you may be a candidate for a less invasive surgery.

Also, are there any problems with your uterus?? If not, from what you replied in your post, possibly you are a candidate for removal of the one ovary only?? Again, something to think about.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register