IBS after hyst? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IBS after hyst? IBS after hyst?

Unread 11-10-2005, 08:26 AM
IBS after hyst?

Hi again
Thanks for keeping us posted!
I was wondering how you go on at your doc's today??

You sure have been busy, good on your local Walmart too!
But, don't you think with IBS under control, that you should be pain free now? That being your final goal, you should persist in finding answers. Please don't give up yet. Keep up the good work. Sending you big s from the
Sue
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2005, 09:48 AM
IBS after hyst?

Missed my darned appointment! Gonna have to reschedule.
I thought the same thing. However, I don't think the IBS is under control right now either. I still have major times where I'm having a lot of stress and that's when I'm in the most pain. During those times, even the pain pills won't work well. I'm going to give the Zelnorm another try and even if they are too expensive, I can see that when I take them, I do feel better and am almost completely pain free. In the meantime, I'm going to do more research into the constipation problems. Maybe I can find something to help and that should be the "cure". After staying off the dairy, corn and beans, I don't have the horrible gas that makes the pain so intense. I'll get this under control so I can be back to having a normal life. After 2 1/2 years of living with constant pain, it will be nice just to be able to play soccer with my munchkins and goof off with my friends. lol
Unread 11-11-2005, 03:40 AM
IBS after hyst?

Hi
Sorry to hear you missed your appointment, we've all been there!
I can relate to the wanting to get your life back and do the simplest of things like playing with kids. I feel like I have missed out two full years of their childhood. I know I haven't really, but it could have been better, and we know it.
I have adhesions. I have noted that IBS symptoms make adhesions more painful. It's such a nightmare. Anti spasmodics are the treatment for IBS but they don't recommend them if you have adhesions! I was taking colofac for ages before discovering that!
The thought of more surgery terrifies me, if I can live with them I will, but as you say, pain free would be the ultimate goal.
I wish you all the luck, let me know of any more "discoveries"!
Big s
Sue
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 06:12 AM
IBS after hyst?

Or do the adhesions make the IBS more painful? lol Docs just don't know that much about IBS. The best they can come up with is that our bowels are just more sensitive than normal people.
I have read that fennel is a good "cure" for constipation (my most common problem). I haven't tried it yet. I just read it yesterday. I'm going to go hunt some down and try it out. If it's successful, I'll be sure to post it.
Truthfully, the best advice I've gotten for IBS is to keep a diary of it. I note any meds that I'm taking, foods that I've eaten and what my stress was like for the day. Then I see how it compares to my pain levels. That's how I found out about the dairy. And after more research, I saw that dairy is a pretty big trigger after all. Lactose intolerance (or just a sensitivity to dairy) seems to coincide with IBS rather frequently. IBS usually seems to show up in the late 20s to mid 30s. So does lactose digestion problems.
My doc first ruled out blockages and contrictions in my bowel with a barium enima. Not the most fun thing to do, but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I'd heard all kinds of horror stories about the cleaning out process. It wasn't really all that bad. But my poor bum was pretty sore afterwards! lol I know, TMI!
Unread 11-11-2005, 07:55 AM
IBS after hyst?

Here is some interesting information on Zelnorm.http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/zelnorm.html
I hope it is helpful to those of you on it. I was put on it by a gastroenterologist.After taking the zelnorm for a week or so I started having terrible pain. It was from having GB disease. I didn't know I had GB disease at the time.
There is something avaliable at Walgreens and I am sure other places that treats IBS symptoms and it is for constipation or diahrea. I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me. It even has a website with good reviews. It is much cheaper than zelnorm and is OTC.
Peggy
Unread 11-11-2005, 08:26 AM
IBS after hyst?

hmmmm, going to check this out right now!
Unread 11-11-2005, 08:58 AM
IBS after hyst?

Ok, here's what I found:
Irritable Bowl Symptom Relief Chewable Tablets, Citrus Flavored
by Equalactin
Price: $4.49 24.0 ea.
Unit Price: $0.19/ea.
Relieves irritable bowel symptoms.
Constipation.
Abdominal discomfort.
Irregularity.
Irritable Bowel, with its symptoms of abdominal discomfort and constipation, is caused by water imbalance in the bowel, and afflicts millions.
Equalactin provides relief by equalizing the water balance to restore normal bowel movements.
When you feel the onset of irritable bowel symptoms, take Equalactin to provide relief and prevent the episode from becoming severe.

For relief of occasional constipation and irregularity.
This product generally produces bowel movement in 12-72 hours.

Instructions

Drink a full glass (8 fl oz) of liquid with each dose.
Chew tablets thoroughly.
Do not swallow tablets whole.
Adults and children 12 years of age and over:
Up to 8 tablets daily in divided doses of 2 tablets per dose.
Children 6 to under 12 years of age:
Up to 4 tablets daily in divided doses of 1 tablet per dose.
Children 2 to under 6 years of age:
Up to 2 tablets daily in divided doses of 1 tablet per dose.
Children under 2 years of age:
Consult a doctor.
Store at room temperature.
Avoid excessive humidity.

Active Ingredients
Calcium Polycarbophil 625 mg - Equivalent to 500 mg Polycarbophil
Ingredients
Citric Acid , Crospovidone , Dextrose , Flavor , Magnesium Stearate , Microcrystalline Cellulose

Warnings

Do not use this product for more than 1 week unless directed by a doctor.
Ask a doctor before use if you have:
abdominal pain
nausea
vomiting
a sudden change in bowel habits over a period of 2 weeks
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking an antibiotic containing tetracycline as this product contains calcium.
Stop use and ask a doctor if:
rectal bleeding occurs
you fail to have bowel movement after use of laxative. These may indicate a serious condition.
As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health professional before using this product.
Keep out of reach of children.
In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

My only problem with this is that it says it's for occasional constipation. If I had occasional constipation, I wouldn't have IBS. Not only that, but it's true that constipation is caused by a lack of water in the bowels. But the direct cause of the lack of water is that the bowels are messed up and don't move properly. Adding water may make things feel worse. No offense, but I think I'll stick with the Zelnorm. My GB is working properly so I don't have the pain from that. The Zelnorm actually works pretty darned good. Hopefully better now that I've found the dairy to be a big problem.
Unread 11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
IBS after hyst?

Hi sisters
I did some research too Zelnorm is a selective serotonin receptor agonist, sounds like an antidepressant! I ended up reading all about the different kinds of antidepressants! Interesting that though, as stress seems to be a trigger for IBS symptoms I just can't figure how it works on constipation!
I have used Senna for years. I only recently discovered that it is a spasmodic which only makes IBS worse! I still use it though, because it is the only thing that moves me! Can you buy glycerin suppositries in the states? (I ask as I have not heard any US sister mention them in any posts) Well anyway, I use those too, they can be really, really helpful.
I am hardly eating at the moment and my tummy looks as though it will burst! And it's even worse if I eat! Come to think of it, I'm never actually hungry either! I cook for the family everyday and I would say I eat with them 2 or 3 times a week. So, it would be difficult to keep a true account of my eating just now!
Oh how I long for the times when going to the toilet was NOT an issue! (I have recently had surgery for anterior/posterior repair and a tvt)
Thanks so much for the information sisters.
s
Sue
x
Unread 11-11-2005, 04:54 PM
IBS after hyst?

Agonist? I take Paxil for depression. It's known as a selective seratonin receptor inhibitor. It doesn't help with the IBS symptoms though. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. I'll have to ask the pharmacist when I get back to work in a bit.
Gylcerin suppositories are available in the states over the counter. I've never tried using them though. I don't think I'd want it as a long term therapy. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the possible side effects of Zelnorm either. I figure there's got to be a happy medium somewhere. lol
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:49 PM
IBS after hyst?

I know the name now. It is called Digestive Advantage. I might give it a try as I have alot of gas, bloating, cramping off and on. I have been to so many dr's and never did get a answer. Possibly it is IBS the gastroenterologist labeled me with. Once the zelnorm didn't help, he didn't do anything else to help me.
Here is a couple links for ithttp://www.ibstales.com/digestive-advantage-ibs.htm:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp85792_33...bowel_syndrome.

I hope this helps some of you
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register