IBS after hyst? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IBS after hyst? IBS after hyst?

Unread 11-21-2005, 10:52 AM
IBS after hyst?

Dear Auntie Sue,

If I remember right, they can test for an estrogen level. Just ask and see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
IBS after hyst?

Auntie Sue,
I have had my hormone levels checked twice since my hyst a year and a half ago, at my insistance and both times I was told my levels were normal, even though I don't always feel "normal". Finally my doctor admitted that my levels might not be normal for me since he had not tested my hormone levels before the surgery. I would suggest to everyone thinking about a hyst to have their hormone levels tested before the surgery so that you can have a "normal" reading for yourself. I even think the hormone fluctuation is perhaps causing my left side pain, or at least aggrivating it. Lisa
Unread 11-21-2005, 03:56 PM
IBS after hyst?

In theory, testing levels before the hyst sounds like it might be a good idea, however; the reality is that it probably won't help much. One reason is that for many of us the problems that led to the hyst can be from hormonal problems. And after the hyst, our hormonal needs can change greatly. Here's a thread with a better explanation: Hormone Level Check

Sue, either your gyn or your gp should be able to test your hormone levels. I would ask the one you feel most comfortable asking. Do keep in mind that testing shouldn't be the final determining factor in your hrt as everyone is different, there really isn't one set level where we will all feel the same, but testing can be a helpful tool when you are really struggling to find balance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2005, 12:37 PM
IBS after hyst?

Thanks sisters

(((((((Kim))))))
That was really interesting. Mine won't have been normal pre op as my problem was endo. How on earth do you find the right balance? And is that really the answer to lots of our problems, including IBS symptoms? The prospect of finding that "right balance" is pretty gloomy
Thanks again

Sue
x
Unread 11-23-2005, 04:00 PM
IBS after hyst?

(((Sue)))
Some of our problems can be due to hormones. If you think hormones are the culprit you can find more info at www.hormonejungle.com and check out The Hormone Jungle Surgical Menopause forum.

Unread 12-31-2005, 01:19 PM
IBS after hyst?

Sue,
I think most women here in the USA just go to OB/GYNs for most problems, which, in my opinion, is a mistake, but it's become the "normal" way of thinking. After my surgery, which was a misdiagnosis in the first place, I was sent to every kind of doctor BUT an endocrinologist. I found out about the endocrinologist from Lise Cloutier-Steele, the author of "Misinformed Consent" and this was the best advice I ever received.

The three kinds of doctors who have helped me the most since my gynecological surgery have been the endocrinologist, a cardiologist, and surprisingly, an ophthalmologist! They ALL knew about repercussions of hysterectomy to our overall health. My question is why in heck don't the gynecologist know this? Or do they?

Another surprise I found out along the way... I read a study that said 75% of all the anti-depressants prescribed in the USA are written by gynecologist! Makes you wonder.

The whole thing is very frustrating.
Unread 01-01-2006, 09:38 AM
IBS after hyst?

Lucille,
I have to second your post. I don't understand either how gynecologists can't know and understand the repercussions from a hyst! What most of us hear before the surgery is how much better we are going to feel after. I kept waiting and waiting to feel better and it still has not happened! Sure I am not bleeding buckets of blood and don't have stock in Kotex, but I trully DON'T feel better. For those who do feel better after I say congratulations, but I think there are a heck of alot of us who have had problem after problem for years after the hyst and it just seems that this should be acknowledged and women should be forewarned of this possibility.
Sherry
Unread 01-01-2006, 12:43 PM
IBS after hyst?

The problem is, I think,that many GYN docs don't do OB anymore because of the malpractice exposure, and as they are qualified surgeons, hysts and related procedures become their bread and butter. Just like any other kind of surgeon, GYN docs evaluate patients to see if they'd benefit from surgery because, in the end, it becomes the only option they can offer. What I'm hearing that I don't like is that they're seeing if WE fit in their box, not trying to fit themselves into ours. (No pun intended, LOL)...
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:28 PM
IBS after hyst?

Could be..my doc did do OB though. I just really think they are educated to think that women would be better off without a uterus..like it is some sort of unuseful organ in our bodies. I wonder what they would think if urologists began to castarize men with prostate problems? Highly unlikely. It almost seems to me that it goes back to the Victorian days...when a woman had any kind of gyn problems (or any other problem for that matter) they were labeled hysterical..in some ways it doesn't seem that we have moved much further ahead on that mentality. Just take the organ out and it will solve every problem! humph!
Sherry
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
IBS after hyst?

I think that my ob/gyn did try everything possible before even suggesting the hyst. In fact, I had brought it up at one point, and he said "no, you are so young, we need to try to preserve your uterus and remaining ovary if at all possible". So yes, he did think it was a useful organ.

Yes, we did think that the hyst would solve my problems. Unfortunately it didn't, but it did solve some, just not all. Who's to say that I wouldn't still be having some of my problems even if I had retained my uterus? Would they perhaps be even worse with the uterus prolapsing and the heavy periods? Would I continually be having problems with the cysts that always seemed to develop?

I just can't blame all my problems on having a hysterectomy. I don't have a crystal ball so could not foresee the future, nor can I change the past. So I move forward and choose not to place blame nor do I have any regrets. My doctor did what he felt was best, given my situation and symptoms at the time. Not all doctors are the same, just as all women are not the same.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register