Sharing HOPE; Molly's story found in "Cancer, Stories of Courage" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sharing HOPE; Molly's story found in "Cancer, Stories of Courage" Sharing HOPE; Molly's story found in "Cancer, Stories of Courage"

Unread 04-01-2001, 05:33 PM
Sharing HOPE; Molly's story found in "Cancer, Stories of Courage"

Molly, your testimonial made me cry. I am SO glad that you came through the other side, and are better for it. Your last paragraph mirrored MY feelings SO well. People comment to me that my personality has changed, that I don't flare up like I used to or fly off the handle, and I handle challenges so much better. I attribute it to fighting back cancer, and winning. I also know it could come back and slap me down again, so no longer find the little things worth wasting my time and energies on. I find I AM happier, and have a MUCH more healthy attitude towards everything and everyone around me.

Whoever thought that there would be some good come out of having cancer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2001, 06:03 PM

Molly, I just received your email and thought i would come to the hystersite and take a look. I am sitting here crying. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have helped me today and words can never ever express my gratitude. I am still scared and I still cry lots, but with people like you to support me I just know i will come through the other side ok. I am taking your advice and taking time to smell the roses. Thanks so much love always a very grateful Hystersister. xxx
Unread 04-01-2001, 06:26 PM

Hello Molly
Your story is so very touching. Thank you for sharing it with us newbies.
I am thrilled that you are cancer free and doing well. It sounds as though you went through a very rough time.
I wish you continued good health.
Again, thanks so much for sharing !
God Bless You!
Maria xo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2001, 04:00 AM

Molly!!! Hello and it's so great to see a post from you again!!! What a beautiful post that you have shared with the ladies!! Your wording was inspiring and yes....sometimes even the hardest situations are good for us. They really do get us to open our eyes and appreciate what we have!! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us!! What an inspiration!! Take care of yourself dear!!
Unread 04-02-2001, 04:08 AM

Molly,
So good to hear from you. I am so happy that you are doing well! Your post was very touching and brought tears to my eyes. You are a very special sister.
Unread 04-02-2001, 05:12 AM

Molly,

It is so great to hear from you. Glad to hear that you are doing so wonderfully. Thank you for sharing your story with others, I am sure that it will help guide others to get through this. It is truly inspirational.

Keep in touch, we love to hear from you.
Wishing you the very BEST
Unread 04-02-2001, 11:03 AM
thank you...

Molly, I know what you mean about cancer changing you! My spiritual side is so much stronger now. And when I have things happen that used to upset me..like my freezer dying and losing a lot of food...I just smile now and think...after cancer, whats a freezer. When I tell people getting cancer was a blessing they think I`m a little out there. It is only because they don`t know the wonderful ladies here that I have met and that have supported me through so much. I think of it now as God giving me a much needed rest.
Thanks for the inspirational post! You are a very special lady and a hope for all of us!

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 04-02-2001, 02:20 PM

Molly,
You are such a blessed inspiration. Thank you
Unread 04-03-2001, 07:57 PM

Hi Molly,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us all. I wholeheartedly agree!!! Having to face something like cancer really does give you a different perspective on life. I do still have my moments but do think I've become a much calmer person in general. I've also discovered that I enjoy doing things more.

I'm so glad you are doing well and wish you the best for your continued good health.

{{{hugs}}}

Vicki
Unread 04-06-2001, 07:08 PM
Changing perspectives!

During the time that my Mom had cancer (July 1997), my apartment building had a major fire. Mom was in bed and called me at work. She asked me the name of my apartment complex. I told her and then she said that there was a fire at my complex -- it was on the radio! At about the same time, one of my neighbor friends called me and said that her roommate (who has MS) called her and told her about the fire. That's when I told my boss what happened. Well, I didn't go home immediately. I don't know why I didn't "freak out," but I was very calm. My boss asked me why I didn't leave yet. I said that I just got there (it was about 10 am) and would leave in a little while. I just think I didn't want to watch the fire. And, when I did leave, about two hours later (actually had to push myself to leave work), I drove through the parking lot of the mall across the street because our street was closed off. With my air conditioning on in the car and the windows rolled up, I could smell the remains of the fire. I then went to the Senior Center where the residents were meeting and where those who were home during the fire were taken by buses. An outpouring of support by the community put a warm feeling into all of us. People went to their closets and brought clothes to the Center for the fire victims. (I had insurance so didn't plan on taking any clothes. There were many residents without insurance who needed it more than I did.) Also, the area restaurants provided food and drink for the fire victims. I went looking for my friends, but they had already left. We had a meeting with the Fire Department early that evening. They explained that there would be a meeting at the condo the next morning and that some, not all, of us could go in and retrieve some of our personal property. Then I went to K-Mart and bought some clothing to hold me over for a few days. I stayed with my Mom and sister until I could get a temporary apartment. We were not allowed to move back into the building. Everyone had to find other housing and this lasted for more than a year. Shortly after the fire (few days), my insurance carrier's adjuster wanted to meet with me and take a statement. Before he started the interview (which he said was routine and that he knew I had nothing to do with the fire), he noted that I was very calm for what had just happened. I told him, "My Mom just found out that her cancer came back. She's fighting for her life. My loss was material things." I fortunately didn't lose any personal items such as photographs of my Dad (who had died in 1990) and my Mom (who died in February of 1998). My loss was a TV, VCR, food, furniture (smoke damaged), and miscellaneous items like pillows and bedding. I was one of the lucky ones. The fire didn't go to my apartment because I had an electronic ignition stove. The fire was caused by a landscaper who was mowing the lawn -- he hit a gas pressure regulator and doubled the amount of gas pressure in the building. We had more than 10 fire departments at our building which had over 100 apartments in an I-shaped building with five stories. Since that time, I had a hysterectomy (6/2000) and was told I had uterine cancer, which was "cured" by the surgery, and a Low Malignant Potential Ovarian Cancer (both ovaries). I see my gyn every 3 months, but am still feeling lucky because I was among the 25% who are diagnosed with ovarian cancer early. I have learned NOT TO SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! Life is more important.
Sorry this is so long, sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register