Bone Scan Anyone??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bone Scan Anyone??? Bone Scan Anyone???

Unread 09-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Bone Scan Anyone???

I just saw my GP yesterday for the first time since my TAH/bladder suspension (six months ago). He was happy to see me looking so well and feeling so well. Among the things we discussed was having a bone scan done within the next month or two. There is no history of osteoporosis in my family, but his concern is that my ovaries may not be functioning properly and my estrogen levels may be too low, increasing my risk for osteoporosis. He said there are no real symptoms until the damage has been done.

Has anyone else been told this by their doctor after a TAH and keeping your ovaries? I like this doctor and feel that he is thorough and very good at explaining things. I also know that the practice has a bone scan machine they probably generate a great deal of income from! I am going to call my insurance company and ask if they will cover the cost of a bone scan at my age (45 next week...YIKES!). My GP said he would list the diagnosis as "post-menopausal, considering estrogen therapy".

He also suggested estrogen therapy, which is a little confusing to me. I thought I had too much estrogen (thus, the endometrial hyperplasia, adenomyosis and endometriosis). I worry that if I go on estrogen when I don't need it, I may develop problems with endometriosis and risk more problems. I thought the whole point of keeping my ovaries was to keep the natural estrogen going to protect my heart and bones. So why, now that I have had the TAH and kept the ovaries, has the story changed and suddenly I don't have enough estrogen? He did not suggest any endocrine testing. I was going to ask about testing my FSH level, but decided to wait on that one.

I see my GYN in November and will ask him about all of this. I was just wondering if any other sisters have had their GP's suggest this and if they had it done and why they decided to have it done.

Thanks ladies!

Maggiemay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Bone Scan Anyone???

I did have my ovaries removed, and my gyn ordered the bone scan for that reason-to get a baseline reading. Thank heavens she did-it showed I already have osteopenia (the precursor to osteoporosis), and I was only 34 at the time of the scan. My insurance company covered the test.
Unread 09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Bone Scan Anyone???

Interesting. I havent had my post op yet so I have no clue if he'll mention it. I had a TAH kept ovaries. BUT I do have a strong history of osteoperosis, and low bone density, and also osteoarthritis. We have a clinic coming to our town on Oct 7th, and Im going to it to get my bone density checked, for peace of mind and to get a base line. I turn 30 this year. The Test is suppose to show a good prediction of whats to come the next 60 yrs with the info they take from me and the readings it gives.

Its funny i JUST got off the phone with the company, getting the dates they'll be in town.
GL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Bone Scan Anyone???

Thanks for your input ladies!

Bookie10, did your doctor put you on HRT automatically when you had your ovaries out? Are you on any kind of medication to slow the osteopenia's progression? Can medication reverse it at all?

I will call my insurance company in the morning. If they will cover it, I will have it done before the end of the year, since I have already met my total out-of-pocket requirements. It would be good to have a baseline anyway.

Take care and thanks for answering!

Maggiemay
Unread 09-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Bone Scan Anyone???

My doctor had me wait 6 months before starting any HRT, because of the severity of the endo. When I did start, she put me on an estrogen/progestin combo. The hope is that the estrogen will help with the bone situation, and the progestin will keep the estrogen from aggravating the endo situation! She said I will need another bone scan 2 years from the first one. If my bone situation is worse, then she will put me on an osteoporosis RX. In the meantime, she had me increase my calcium intake, and add weight-bearing exercise to my schedule. I hope this info helps. Paula
Unread 09-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Bone Scan Anyone???

I don't understand why he would recommend estrogen therapy without testing your hormone levels first.

But I would go for the bone scan if you possibly can -- so many women end up with osteoporosis, and there are things that can be done to prevent it if you know that it is starting.

But I'll send good wishes your way hoping that all your tests come out with good results.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register