Home from the Castle! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home from the Castle! Home from the Castle!

Unread 09-30-2005, 02:58 AM
Home from the Castle!

Hi sisters
I'm home. I told my anaesthetist about my scare with the zydol and he arranged for me to have no opiate based pain killers. It was much better, I was really fresh and awake straight away when they woke me up. My DH thought I hadn't been done when he first saw me! I got home yesterday but I was a good and rested. Not that I have much choice as I am so so sore. It's like the tah/bso all over again. Silly dvt stockings and all! I had the diarrea last night thru the night, I'm exhausted with it, I hope it hasn't put a strain on the stitches? I have a zillion stitches!
I had a little venture downstairs this morning, and tried to close my eyes to the mess, I put some laundry in, without even thinking - so I'm back in bed, it's safer!
Questions - tons of them!
Anyone had a tvt along with anterior and posterior repair? How long approximately should I expect to bleed for? Blood is bright red, not loads, but definitely fresh? It's so weird wearing a sanitary towel and all! I've been told no housework for 8 weeks... Right now I'm too sore to try anything but I worry about when I start to improve. It really hurts to pee too, and it comes very very slowly - will this improve?
Sorry - I thought I was prepared this time - but there is always stuff that baffles us!
My right leg is hurting so much, I guess this will be from position in surgery?
I can't get comfortable, have had the pillow and am trying everything I can remember. Is it ok to use a heat pad? I couldn't read docs writing very well, but it had underlined that I had a double layer of stitches in anterior repair. He said that he had to do a lot more at back end than first anticipated. I am worried about my frequent toilet visits doing any damage? I have the familiar pain in right side again too.
I do so want to get it right this time. I also have pains in the sides of my head?
Thank you so much sisters - thinking about you all in the castle.
hugs to all

Sue
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2005, 06:15 AM
Welcome Home!!

I am glad you are having a good recovery. I didn't have the same surgery as youbut i had the bladder issue but it slowly resolved itself. I was very sore in my left side which the doc said that is where they did the most work. My body hurt like my legs and lower back but they said that was due to the postion on the surgery table. I was call the doc with any questions you have. Only the doc knows what is normal for you and what to expect!!

I hope you continue to have a good recovery and get comfortable. Even tho i know that is hard right now!!!

Take care,

Tennile~~
Unread 09-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Home from the Castle!

glad you are home. I did have problems peeing it slowly gets better. It all takes time.as time goes by you will notice your pee doing better. rest and don't do to much (DO NOTHING) rest rest rest... take care.
aunt booboo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Home from the Castle!

Thank you for your replies sisters
Did you have the tvt aunt boo? The nurse at the castle told me to expect a slight discharge, but mine is proper red blood. Another nurse said I could have catheta trauma, it really hurts to wee and when I do there is blood in the loo too?
I know it's wise to ask our docs questions, but I thought that other sisters might have shared the same experience?

hugs to all

Sue
x
Unread 10-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Home from the Castle!

HI Sue!! Welcome home!!
I just got home today, will write when I feel better1
Mel
Unread 10-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Home from the Castle!

Hi Sue,

I didn't have a tvt, but did have bladder repair with sling and it was quite painful voiding for along time. I also had a very slow stream afterwards (this was after getting catheter out at a month post op). I think that's pretty typical of bladder work. I also had it at the same time as my hysterectomy. I know at that time I was told that bright red blood was new blood and not considered normal . . . . but I'm not sure if that would be the case with your surgery. Were you bleeding bright red blood in the castle? If not, I'd think perhaps a call to surgeon might be in order. You might also want to talk to him/her about the toileting issues. I wouldn't think diarrhea would be an issue, unless you are straining a lot (but I'm sure it's not comfortable with all those repairs )! Make sure you are drinking lots of water and not retaining urine, that can also happen with bladder repairs and should be monitored closely if your stream is slow.

Hang in there and hope you are feeling better soon !

jmw
Unread 10-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Home from the Castle!

Hi Sue
I had rectocele and enterocele surgery in Jan. It is better to have loose stoles, then hard. You shouldn't strain anymore, especially the first couple weeks from surgery.
I just had a tvt and anterior repair on the 12th of Sept. I had bright red blood for the first week and a half. Now it is getting much lighter and not near as often. I had a hard time urinating for a few days after the cath came out(1 week). It gets better day by day.
Take it easy and don't be doing too much of anything. I am not allowed to push, pull or lift over 10 pounds for 6 weeks.
I hope you feel better and better. It just takes a little time to get feeling back to normal. I use a heating pad when I am sore. It helps alot. They let me use heat packs when I was in the hospital, so it is fine to use a heating pad.
Good luck and I hope your recovery continues to go well.
Peggy
Unread 10-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Home from the Castle!

Hi JMW and Peggy
Thanks for your replies. Gosh a whole month with a catheta jmw. You sure have been thru the mill. I hope you are ok now? I was told I may have catheta trauma, do you know what that is?
I have been watching your progress Peggy. I was wondering how you got on with your back problem?
I nearly went back to hospital today. Blood has dark bits in it now too but to be honest, I haven't had much time to rest at all. I guess it might be from being on my feet a lot. Also, now it feels like it's coming back down! I got a mirror and had a look, there is definitely a lump again. Also, I can feel a stitch sticking in to the side of my vagina now and it is so so sore. I think that may be bleeding too. I will rest up tonight and see how I feel in the morning. It is getting more and more sore down there though. Also Peggy, were you given any exercises or any instructions regarding your pelvic floor or anything? Just was wondering about that as I wasn't visited by a physio therapist or anything. I did get one single short visit from one after tah/bso, and I now see why this is so important!
Hope you are recovering well too Peggy
hugs to all

Sue
x
Unread 10-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Home from the Castle!

Hi Sue
I hope all is going ok with you today. My back doesn't hurt as much as it did when I was in the hospital. It is still giving me problems though. It pops alot when I walk and I continue with the bm issues. The small amount I leak may very well be connected with my back too. I haven't seen the neuro surgeon yet. That appt. is the 14th. I will be glad to find out what needs to be done. I was never shown any pelvic floor exercises. I am not sure if it would help me much at this point until we get this back thing figured out. My uro/gyn did say the back problem is probably what is causing my pelvic floor dysfunction. I am hoping fixng my back will fix the dysfunction. I hope the nerve damage is not pernament.
continue to take it easy. You don't want to mess up your repairs. I am not allowed to push, pull or lift over 10 pounds for 6 weeks. I am half way there, but the neuro dr. may put more restrictions on me. I will see.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register