LSH - The "P" Chronicles: The Story Of Mary's DaVinci LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > da Vinci Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH - The "P" Chronicles: The Story Of Mary's DaVinci LSH LSH - The "P" Chronicles: The Story Of Mary's DaVinci LSH

Unread 10-01-2005, 10:58 PM
LSH - The "P" Chronicles: The Story Of Mary's DaVinci LSH

From the time I was 29 years old, I have had problem cycles. But by the time I was 32 years old, I was having long, heavy, icky 11 day cycles where the first 8 days were unbearable. The fluid loss was just incredible! Just after my 34th birthday, I asked my doctor about the problem, and he said "well kiddo, you are pushing 40 and can expect these things." I was floored! Not because I knew very much more about what was going on, but because of the pushing 40 thing! How dare he! I was pulling 30 for sure, but not pushing 40! At any rate, I fired him about 1 year later and went with a female GP. She did order the ultrasound, and for the first time in my life, I heard of fibroids. I finally had a name to put on all the messes that I made each month! She picked up two of them on the ultrasound, but took a wait & see attitude. She told me that if my periods changed that I was to call her office immediately. Well, instead of seeking a 2nd opinion from an ob/gyn, I wallowed in misery for another 4 years because I trusted her judgement (I only WISH I'd known then what I know now.

By October, 2003, I was in misery! My periods extended to 16 days, then to 21 days in November, 2003, then to 23 days in December - February of the following year. As instructed four years earlier, I called her office to report the change, only to be ignored! So, I fired her. She had racked up too many offenses, and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Sick of the one-stop-shopping type of doctors, I went looking for and found a wonderful ob/gyn who did the laparoscopy, D&C, and hysteroscope. She found several more tumors than the original two (she stopped counting after 15-20), and determined that I may find some relief from BC pills, but the most sensible fix for me would be hysterectomy.

Well, that was a scary thought! De-parted at age 42! Yikes! I don't think so! I calculated that I had maybe 96 more periods to go. What kind of wimp can't handle only 96 more? Waiting should be a piece of cake compared to that snorflation thing. After all, a uterus is a terrible thing to waste... So, I reasoned that waiting was my best course of action. After all, it is not like the thing can be wholly reinserted once the hacking starts. So I waited, and I researched, and generally drove that wonderful woman to drink with all of my incessant questions. I ordered every book on the subject that could get my hands on, and I prayed for The Lord's leading on which road I should take. In one of the web searches, I found that the surgery could be done laparoscopically, and that I could be back on my feet much sooner than the traditional bikini cut that my new-found ob/gyn wanted to perform. So, I announced that I too wanted to go this way. Of course she sent my hopes dashing to the ground when she said that mine wouldn't be a candidate for the LSH, and that no hospital in our area even did that particular surgery. I found that far too hard to believe for many reasons, but the main reason was that I could not believe that The Lord would let me find what seemed to be the sweetest, most perfect answer to my prayers, then tell me that I couldn't have it. So, I decided that I was listening to the wrong voice and let my fingers do the walking! I called various gynecologists here in the city to ask if any surgeon was experienced in laparoscopic method of hysterectomies. Admittedly, they are very difficult to find, but Eureka!! I finally found one! And he is in my hospital network! Snatch that guy up and drag him to the OR! Get the laparoscopic ginsu knives sharpened! I'm having the hyst! I honestly think I heard angels singing after the original surgery consultation. At any rate, I couldn't schedule fast enough.

My surgery was on 9/12/05 at 7:30ish. Initially, I wasn't sure I was going to have the surgery, because it was all contingent on a few things (whether my thyroid levels were still too low, whether I truly already had a blood clot, and whether or not my suddenly high temperature would break in time for the surgery). It turned that none of these ducks were in a row until 4:10 p.m. on 9/9. After that, the flurry of activity was almost overwhelming (akin to trying to chase an out-of-gear car down an embankment!). I had to clean the house, buy groceries, fix some ready-to-eat meals, etc. I also had a heavy schedule of engagements planned for 9/10 and 9/11. Whew! How do I get it all done? Anyway, I checked in at 5:45 (overslept) for the 7:30 surgery. From the time I walked in to the hospital until the time I left, the personnel at the hospital were just the greatest! The check-in staff were way too nice, and the nurses were above and beyond. They really deserve bonuses or something.

The surgery prep was ok (except I was so cold!). I still had a temperature, but my doc didn't seem to mind. I had experienced a slightly low glucose level that a.m. (I wear an insulin pump for diabetes), and I was concerned about how to correct the problem. I was finally instructed to remove the pump until after surgery (something I had asked about months before!). During the surgery, however, something went wrong. My breathing tube popped out and left me in a teeney bit of trouble. My doctor explained what had happened when he visited my room on the next morning. He said that the tube had popped out and they had to stop the surgery to get that thing back in. There was nothing breathing for me during those moments of no breathing tube, so they really had to race the clock. As a result, I had a VERY raw throat for the first two weeks following surgery. It even hurt to breathe! The doc suggested that I drink hot tea, hot water w/lemon, etc. until that felt better. It turned out that the hot liquids were the only things that I could even barely tolerate. I hurt SO bad.

I was also having problems breathing whenever I tried to lay down. It actually felt a lot like being suffocated or drowning. My surgeon didn't really seem to want to address this problem, so I made an appointment w/my regular internist. It turned out that I had a pulmonary infection w/fluid buildup in my lungs. This explained why I was only left gasping for breath when I tried to lay flat. As the fluids shifted, I was a suffocation just waiting to happen. I was immediately placed on antibiotics and a diuretic to get rid of the fluids. It seems to be working, unlike my bowels. They have only moved 3 times since 9/12! The first time I had a bowel movement (6 days after the surgery) felt as if my insides had been ripped out! I could feel the blood running down the inside of my belly. I kept expecting it to run down as menstrual blood does, but it never did. The next day (9/18), one of the incisions appeared to be infected (swollen, red, inflamed), so I called the on-call doctor, and explained the problem. I saw my gynecologist on 9/19. What a miserable visit! Prior to the visit, I had wrongly decided that one week on pain meds was more than enough for even the greatest leaders in wimpdom, so even I could leave them alone. I was Miss Big-Bad! Poop on your pills! Besides, they might have been the constipation culprits, so who needs 'em! My doctor smacked and squeezed and punched and just pressed HARD on every incision! And I had NO pain meds in my body to handle that kind of thing! What a *******! I was in such shear agony by the time I got home that I must have cried for 2 hours! In fact, I'd cried out all of the tears long before the "crying convulsions" stopped. I was down for the entire rest of the week. I'm only just now beginning to feel remotely normal (well, except for the bm thing). The antibiotic seems to be doing a great job clearing the lung infection, the diuretic is chasing the excess fluids away, and except for the occasional irritation (mostly in the evening), my throat is nearly back to normal.

This site has provided invaluable information. It is funny how ("accidentally"?) stumbling upon this site in a web search has so dramatically changed my life. I used to just lurk around reading the other posts and thinking 'wow, that is my problem too'. Now, because I was help so much by all of your posts, I've decided to become an active participant as well. I couldn't be more thankful for my 'sisters'!

I am looking forward to life on the other side of the red curtain. My periods have ruled my life for over 10 years, so the thought of returning to what I was is making me want to dance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register