17 mths post op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

17 mths post op 17 mths post op

Unread 10-07-2005, 09:01 AM
17 mths post op

I was diagnosed with IBS when nothing showed up on the colonoscopy. I was put on zelnorm and it didn't do a thing for me. I found out last week that these symptoms I was labeled IBS for may actually be bladder spasms. Gastro dr's tend to label us IBS when nothing shows up on the colonoscopy. I hope you were diagnosed right and get it under control with the appropriate medicine.
Sometimes you have to have the adhesions seperated, especially if they are causing bowel obstruction. I hope you don't need it done as I hear they come back quite often. I wish you all the luck in the world! I am glad your pain is lessening.
The colonoscopy isn't bad at all. I had a EGD done at the same time and had no recollection of the procedure. The dr. did find a hiatal hernia when he did the EGD. I guess that was a good thing about having the egd done.
Let us know how you do.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2005, 02:37 AM
17 mths post op

Thankfully the pain is lessening tho it's still there : ( just came back from a walk ohh. My dear partner is very tired of my constant probs.. he helps me so much with my anxiety prob too. I'm afraid to eat tho I do.. I eat alot less and healthy foods now. If I have the colonosocpy it will take all my money, I don't have much, if I wait for the hospital it could be ages... I'll speak it over with my counsellor tomorrow.
I think maybe the pvt doc just wants the money (he doesn't check the upper bowel where the prob seems to be) : ( I sure don't want an op if it's adhesions as it DOES create more : ( from what I've read.
It's hard to be cheerful with this unknown prob not that I'm ever cheerful at the best of times... anxiety depression.
Thank you for responding.
Quick healing and a gentle hug to all
Unread 10-09-2005, 03:19 AM
radical

Dear mysweet,
I'm sooo sorry you are having all these problems, so first of all, a big for you.
I have had similar problems with the bowel. I seem to get small bowel obstructions, and kinks in the bowel, due to all the surgery I have had...(app. 20 abdo ops, in all!) so, as you could imagine, I am FULL of adhesions.
Mine were even picked up on a cat scan last year. And, in the past, I have only had to have a simple x-ray in casualty for the doctors to be able to tell if I had a bowel obstruction.
I am not (by ANY means a medical proffessional), I am only telling of my own experiences.
I see you're from Australia too, I'm from Melbourne.
I also get the pain when I eat, but that is only something that is quite new for me. Having my gallbladder checked soon....I hope to God I don't have to have anything else removed!
And also, with adhesions, the more ops you have, the more you seem to get...it's a VERY FRUSTRATING road to travel.....and a very painful one.
God Bless, hope all goes well for you from now on.
Radical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2005, 04:00 AM
17 mths post op

Thank you Radical hugs to u girl.
My gallbladder is beautiful : ) so hopefully that's not your prob.
Didn't u have pain with adhesions?
Casuality didn't give me an x-ray to check anything they just said to see my local doc asap. Our hospital system is a worry ohh.
Thank you for caring.
Did they do anything with your bowel obstructions? Mine are only partial thankfully. They say I have enlarged loops in the upper bowel tho no adhesions have showed up yet.
Still hoping the pain will just go away by itself : )
gentle huugs ladies
Unread 10-09-2005, 05:12 AM
radical

Hi mysweet, S right back at ya!!!
I had, and still have chronic pain with my abdomen. I not only have the massive amount of adhesions to deal with...but I still have endometresis, after having everything removed around 15 years ago!!!
But apparantly, after my dh and I did ALOT of research, if the surgeon leaves just one bit of endo in you, after a hysterectomy, the endo still continues to grow. And, this has happened in my case....
And also, we have found out, through research, that the endo and the adhesions sort of "breed" off each other (in a way) and that if you are estrogen dominant (which I am also), it "feeds" both the endo and the adhesions. So you can see that my case is quite involved!! Sorry if I'm ranting! It feels good to rant to someome other than my dh all the time!
So, yes the adhesions cause me heaps of pain, but I don't know what pain is causing me the most, the adhesions, or the endo!!! The adhesions have caused soooo many bowel obstructions.
The way I have been treated in casualty (if I have had a suspected bowel obstruction) is very seriously. First, after the initial conversation with nurses & doctors, I have been sent straight to x-ray....
So, I always thought that they could tell from the x-ray, as they have been able, with me, every time. (And there has been quite a few of them!)
If it proves to be an obstruction of any kind, I am put on what they call here a "drip and suck." A drip and suck is where they put a VERY LONG tube up your nose, down the back of yout throat, into your stomach, which is to empty the contents of your stomach.(suck them out!) Then, a normal drip (saline) in the hand for nourishment. I am put on a no food diet straight away, and cannot eat or drink anything until they can entirely empty your stomach and (hopefully) straighten the bowel out.
It's not fun, but I hope that answers your question without too much detail!
I hope your pain just goes away for you too.
Love Radical...
Unread 10-10-2005, 01:26 AM
17 mths post op

Thank you Radical may I ask do they operate when u have a bowel obstruction, do they put u into hospital? How do they straighten the bowel out or is it by emptying things etc?
I am supposed to insert estrogen vaginally twice a week to keep my vagina healthy.. tho reading about estrogen being bad for adhesions etc I've stopped it. I am not allowed to take HRT.
Could u tell me what your bowel pain caused by the adhesions / endo is like please? Just so I can compare and hopefully that's my prob.
Still contemplating spending the last of my $ for the colonoscopy, think I won't I'll wait for the hospital : (
Do u eat extremely healthy now because of the bowel prob? I'm scared whenever I eat : (
Thank you Radical
a gentle huuug
Unread 10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
radical

Hi mysweet,
In answer to your questions, (in my case), with bowel obstructions, I have had to go to hospital every time.
I usually go by ambulance, as a bowel obstruction is a very serious thing. I usually get seen straight away because of the seriousness of it.
I have had quite a few, but have woken up from surgery from most of them....(From laparoscopies, etc.) In one of my first cases, The adhesions had stuck my bowel down to my uterus (when I had one!!!) and had to be operated on, to divide the adhesions, and to straighten out the bowel, but was already "under."
Because of the amount of adhesions I have, I have to be REALLY careful that I use my bowels every day, as the meds I'm on for pain also cause constipation...
Other times, when I have had small obstructions, and not been in surgery, I have been put straight onto the "drip and suck" method, which I described in my last post. Either way, they still have to use the drip and suck. They have to TOTALLY EMPTY the contents out of your stomach...not very nice, but works!!! This gives the bowel a chance to straighten itself out.
So, yes, (sorry if I've been ranting again!) ANY SORT OF BOWEL OBSTRUCTION SHOULD BE LOOKED AFTER IN A HOSPITAL, AS IT CAN BE LIFE THREATENING.
I hope that helps, you can ask me anything, and (if I can) I will try and answer it the best I can...but I can only go by my own experiences.
You'll have to ask the doctor about the eating thing, as I am in the same boat at the moment, and am looking for the same answers to that one!!!
The pain I expereince has changed over the years, sometimes it feels like I've got hudreds of "little men" with daggers, stabbing me from the inside. Sometimes, I just drop to my knees, as if someone had just punched and winded me.Other times, it starts off by the feeling of my stomach bloating, I can feel it coming on, sort of like someone is pumping me up with a bicycle pump! The pain used to be mainly in the lower left hand side, but has now moved all over the place, including my back. Pain is a VERY HARD thing to describe.... I know when an adhesion gives me a hard time (one of the symptoms!) is when I lift something, or reach up, and feel a tug, sort of like a "tendon pulling" feeling.
I don't know if this has helped you any, there is soooo much more involved in my case, but am here for you, whenever you need me for a rant or to ask a question. If I can help you in ANY WAY, I will...
Radical.
Unread 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM
radical

Mysweet,
I have a question for you....
Why aren't you allowed to take H.R.T.???
And do you know what they are looking for with these colonoscopies???
Mtdewpeg was right when she said that, if they don't REALLY KNOW what it is, they will give it the IBS label. This has happened to me also.
And can you tell me a little about what your pain feels like? Then maybe we can see if it is similar or not.
Radical.
Unread 10-12-2005, 01:40 AM
17 mths post op

Thank u for your reply Radical, much appreciated.
I can't take HRT because they say I have a pituritary tumor, had it for years, it behaves itself as long as I don't take some medication to aggravate it, like HRT and some anti-depressants : ) hopefully it will always behave itself as I don't fancy docs stuffy around near my dear brain.. prolactinoma.
They have NO idea what my current prob is. I'm not having the private colonoscopy, I have a hospital appointment, to see a doc 10 Nov, I'll wait till then, the pain is lessening and I'm eating like a healthy sparrow tho massively anxious and depressed.
I feel the colonoscopy pvt doc I saw, named it IBS cause he didn't know what my prob is. He also said ops (hyst) aggravate IBS.
I don't lift too many extra heavy things tho when I do I don't feel the pain. The pain is on and off every time I eat : ( feels like someone quickly stabbing me inside, to the right 1" and down 1/2" from the navel tho the pain also migrates to the left of the navel now and stabs and pulls (like the tendon pulling) down the right side below the first pain. As I eat often, I have pain often : (
They say I have loops in the upper bowel, and a partial bowel blockage, I'm going to the doc tomorrow, read on the net about another test I could have as long as they bulk bill it, (while I wait for my hosp appointment) I research on the net alot as I don't trust docs! ahh
Plus.. I would like to eat without pain : )
It could be so many things from cancer, chrons, hernia, adhesions etc etc. I'm hoping for something simple : )
For many many years (20) I have not been able to leave the house without a daily bowel motion or the pain is too bad to put up with. By the end of _every_ day I blow up like a pregnant pup (bicycle pump)and have tummy aches and constipation, permanently, that's the way it's always been, I thought that was normal, it's not.
Maybe those are the symtpoms of IBS tho this stabbing has only started since the hyst, and has become worse and worse since then.
Plus around my navel feels very sore to touch, like I have a bruise or something : ( about a 4 1/2" radius to the sides and below the navel.
Thank you for caring I appreciate your sharing : )
Gentle huugs
Unread 10-12-2005, 02:01 AM
17 mths post op

Peggy dear what does the hiatal hernia feel like please? I'm burping alot which is something I don't usually do. I think it's due to whatever prob I have with the bowels tho just wondering about your sumtpoms please?
Hugs to you for having anxiety and hospital phobia like me darling girl.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register