TVH/RSO - Bladder Repair, Posterior Repair & Hemorrhoidectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH/RSO - Bladder Repair, Posterior Repair & Hemorrhoidectomy TVH/RSO - Bladder Repair, Posterior Repair & Hemorrhoidectomy

Unread 10-02-2005, 11:34 PM
TVH/RSO - Bladder Repair, Posterior Repair & Hemorrhoidectomy

My doctor advised me that I needed to have a TVH due to uterine prolapse & RSO due to CONSTANT pain...so after seeking out a second opinion I decided to have the surgery done as soon as possible. I knew that the anxiety would eat me alive & I just wanted to get the surgery over with so I could get on with my life. I decided to have the bladder repair, posterior repair & hemorrhoidectomy because as I did need to have the procedures done, I figured might as well get them all over with at the same time.

I arrived at the hospital with my DH at 6:15 am on Tuesday 9/13/05 & my surgery was scheduled for 7:30 am. After a short wait I was taken to a small room where I was weighed, asked a few questions, and then had my blood pressure, temperature & heart rate taken. Then I was taken to a bathroom & asked to pee into a cup. Next I was taken to the surgicial "holding cell" & asked to change into a hospital gown. Shortly thereafter, a nurse came & started my IV & attached a hospital bracelet to my wrist. The doctor stopped by for a quick chat and then the anesthesialologist came in & gave me a dose of versed & started to wheel me away to the operating room. The versed kicked in pretty fast & I only have vague recollections of the operating room & then I don't remember a thing until I woke up in the recovery room.

I woke up in ALOT of pain. It was terrible & the morphine did nothing to help me. They wheeled me to my hospital room while I was still moaning & in intense pain. It was a miserable ride & I still can't believe the nurses didn't wait until I was more comfortable. My mom & DH were waiting for me & as soon as she saw me my mom could tell I was suffering. I was shaking like crazy & started hyperventilating. (You'd think the nurses would've noticed.) Mom got after the nurses to help me & they came in & started giving me extra doses of the morphine. It helped a little but I was still in excruciating pain. Finally, they gave me a shot of something in my bum & that did the trick. I was soon in la-la land.

I was pretty comfortable for about 2 hours...then the pain meds started wearing off. Dumb me, I had fallen asleep & I hadn't pushed the button on the morphine pump. I was soon in so much pain that I was shaking & hyperventilating again. So DH went in search of the nurse & she started giving me the high doses of morphine again. Soon, I was flying higher than a kite & once again somewhat comfortable though not pain free.

After that experience, I was afraid to fall asleep & so I stayed awake the entire night pushing that morphine button like crazy. (Something like 57 times in 10 minutes.) Periodically, the nurse had to come in & give me the great big morphine boost because the pain would creep up again.

The next morning (Wednesday) my doctor came in and removed the packing that had been inside my vagina. I couldn't believe how much packing there had been inside me & how much better it felt without it. The packing had created such tremendous pressure that it had felt like I was crowning with a baby for 24 hours. (I've had 2 kids w/out an epidural (& 2 with one) so I know what crowning feels like.)

Once the packing had been removed, the nurse came in & gave me some percocet. Then she waited for about 1/2 hour & then removed the morphine pump. Once the percocet kicked in I was truly pain free! It worked soooooo much better!!!! Then the nurse removed the cath & tried to get me up to take a shower but I was too dizzy & we had to wait awhile. On the second try, I was able to get up & shower. Boy, did that feel good.

After the shower I decided I was hungry & so they brought me a delicious meal of chicken broth & jello. Around 5pm that evening, I finally decided that I needed to pee...like NOW & the nurse came in to help me. It was then that I discovered that I couldn't go. I couldn't believe it. Here I was in agony & I couldn't go. The nurse did an ultrasound & I had over a liter in my bladder so she cathed me right away. I was very nervous about the cath but in so much agony that I didn't care...oh the relief.

That evening, much to my disappointment I was brought another delicious meal of chicken broth & jello. I ate every bite determined to show them that I way ready for real food. That night, I was able to get some sleep on & off through out the night. I was also very careful to make sure that the nurses brought me my pain pills on time.

The next morning (Thursday) I awoke around 3:45 am & knew I wanted to go home that day no matter what. I was determined. The doctor arrived around 8 am & cleared me to leave as soon as I peed. After he left, I got up showered, put on my make-up & did my hair. But I didn't pee. My mom & aunt arrived & they tried to help me. We walked the hallways & they had me drink tons of diet coke...but still I didn't pee. They even had me put my hands in warm water (that was in a bucket) while I sat on the toilet with the faucet running. We laughed & joked that we were having a "pee" party. But no matter what we did I couldn't pee & pretty soon my bladder filled up & I was wanting to be cathed pretty badly.

The nurse came in & tried to cath me & missed. Can you believe it. It took her 4 tries (finally the head nurse had to do it). In the meantime, I was breaking out into a sweat I was so dang uncomfortable!!!! After I was cathed I was given the good news that I could go home but "Mr Foley" had to go with me. I was given instructions on how to care for the cath & released. DH & I got home around 8:15 pm.

I was able to take the foley out the following Monday & happily I was able to pee on my own. I'm now almost 3 weeks post op and feel pretty good. I get tired easily but now the hardest part is trying to remember that I just had major surgery & I still need to take it easy & not overdo it. Already, I feel waaaaay better than I did prior to the surgery. (I was in ALOT of pain from right ovary.) I can now honestly say, from experience, that the waiting beforehand is the hardest part. It was such a relief to finally get it over with!!!!

Take care & to all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register