Donating Your Own Blood for Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Donating Your Own Blood for Surgery Donating Your Own Blood for Surgery

Unread 10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Donating Your Own Blood for Surgery

Hi,

Has anyone done this? I am scheduled to donate 2 units of packed red cells tomorrow using an apheresis machince. To be real honest here, this scares me more than the surgery! So, if any of you have been through this could you please post and let me know if it is no big deal. THANKS!

Toni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2005, 10:46 AM

I was told the chances of needing a transfusion are very rare; however, I do have a person with the same blood type as me standing by -- just in case.
Unread 10-03-2005, 10:28 PM

I dontated one unit for my upcoming surgery. For me, donating blood gave me one less thing to worry about - a transfusion. Granted, I might end up needing more than one unit in surgery and hopefully will not need any. But, it is nice to know that I have my own blood waiting for me if I need some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2005, 08:51 AM

If the hospital offers, I'll put some in storage. I do have my DH and DS that can give if I need it.
Unread 10-04-2005, 09:19 AM

Before my op I would have said why, thats not likely to happen and not somthing that would even be suggested in the UK. However I ended up needing 5 units between ops due to an artirial bleed. So in retrospect if given the chance I would say go for it as it never hurts to be prepared.

Good luck and love Lynne
Unread 10-04-2005, 12:10 PM

I donated one unit for my surgery, It was not used, but it's reassuring to know you have you own blood on standby. It wasn't a big deal I was just a little weak for about one day. Good luck to you!!
Unread 10-04-2005, 12:23 PM

I had to have a transfusion a couple of days after the surgery and I have extrememly rare blood....they had it on hand but it freaked me out knowing someone else's blood was going in me.
Unread 10-04-2005, 01:57 PM

I asked if I could donate my own blood and the DR said it was not necessary. For me, it was just being cautious. If you have an unusual type, you may want to lower the uncertainty factor and be prepared. If you do not require the blood after surgery, you can feel good that someone else may need it and it is available. Do what is best for you. The procedure may take a while, but one less thing, one less doubt will help you prepare for surgery. Good question!
Unread 10-04-2005, 05:14 PM

I am also very worried about a blood transfussion and I've talked to my Dr. about it several times. I am anemic and I just doubled my iron intake, because it keeps droping. She knows how worried I am about taking someone elses blood, but says I can't use my own, so she is going to have a "cell saver" in the operating room, and she says the will recycle my own blood, so most likely I will not need a transfusion.
Unread 10-04-2005, 05:47 PM

Not sure where everyone is from but here in BC Canada we can not store our own blood for surgery. I think it's stupid! I'd feel much better if I could have stored my own blood, just in case. But alas, I can't. I have faith in my dr. to do the right thing and faith in our healthcare to have a supply ready for me. Luckily I do not have a rare blood type. Another nice thing. I am a former hospital employee and on the records at the hospital it says "VIP" so I hope that means I'll get the royal treatment when I go in.. 3 more sleeps till my big day. I'm nervous but relieved that the end is near.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register