I finally got my date and now I'm scared.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I finally got my date and now I'm scared.... I finally got my date and now I'm scared....

Unread 10-03-2005, 03:02 PM
I finally got my date and now I'm scared....

After waiting about 2 years through horrible, horrible cramps, heavy, heavy bleeding and an incompetent gyn I have finally been given a surgery date of 11/3/05. I switched to a new gyn about a year ago and she has been great. I thought I would be more excited than I am, but now I think the anxiety has taken over. I am scared about the recovery process and what sex will be like when this is all over with. I KNOW that this is the right decision for me, but I AM SCARED. This site is great, especially reading other peoples stories as well as the pre op and post op tips. Well, thanks for listening, I am sure you will be hearing a lot more from me in the coming month!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2005, 04:34 PM

Of course you're scared! This is a big deal!!! But quite honestly, the surgery (and I had lots) was just not near as big a deal as I made it out to be in my mind beforehand... people told me that, but I couldn't quite believe them. And if you have a good positive attitude going in, it probably won't be for you, either!

Read people's stories and talk to ladies here, they all have a different experience, but they'll help reassure you through it! I promise

Recovery isn't horrible, either, as long as you don't mind being inconvenienced with having to "lay low" for a while... the pain part is generally over pretty fast, and then you're just down to tired all the time and somewhat sore. Totally survivable!

Best wishes,

Anne
Unread 10-03-2005, 04:41 PM

What type of surgery are you having? You are in the same boat as alot of others too. My life will be on "hold" until I heal. I can't stand the thought of it. I workout at my gym two hours 5 days a week. Just got back to it after a little break and I'm doing great and feeling great. I don't know what I'm gonna do that whole time. I'm afraid of getting outa shape but I have to do this. I can't stand it anymore!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2005, 05:56 PM

I am having TAH keeping the ovaries. I am not quite ready for menopause! ;o) Thanks so much for your replies. I am feeling better already!
Unread 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Don't blame you for being scared, I was too. I had very heavy bleeding, clots, awful cramping and the shakes. After about 4 years I decided I didn't want to deal with this anymore, so having a hysterectomy was a risk I was willing to take in order to feel better. I have to say it's been almost 3 weeks since my surgery and I feel so much better.

I hope you have the same success as I did.

The very best of luck to you and remember we are all here for you!!
Unread 10-03-2005, 07:29 PM

I am like you I just got my date today also and I have to agree it is scary. But stay positive.
Unread 10-03-2005, 08:57 PM

I know the feeling here...I was diagnosed with an ovarian tumor...and that was in June...I was so scared...After seeing several drs have now decided on which ones are doing the surgery...this my first surgery ever and I am so scared...They are removing the tumor and a complete hysterectomy. They said they feel very good about everything...Im just scared of the surgery itself...being put under and all...I guess just the anticipation of it all....Please help me...
Unread 10-04-2005, 07:07 AM

It's O.K. to be scared. I think everyone gets scared, I know I was. Recovery isn't really that bad. The first few days are a little rough, but after that you start to feel pretty good. At least I did, I felt so good after 2 wks. that I over did it and started to bleed. My doctor was not happy with me at all. I had to stay in bed for a few days and the bleeding stopped. So just listen to your doc. and don't make the same stupid mistake I did. I also was worried about the sex afterwards. I'm almost 7 months post op and I gotta say it's better than ever. After I got the O.K. from the doc. I couldn't wait. I was scared at first, but DH was really gentle. Just take your time and don't rush anything. I'm pretty much back to my old self. Just try and stay positive, the very best part is no more Aunt Flo! HEY!! Not having that anymore also helps with feeling great and better sex. Good luck!
Unread 10-04-2005, 08:25 AM

J.D. thanks for sharing about the sex part. I was really concerned about that. My DH and I have only been married for 3 months and sex was great until all my innards started rebelling. I too have a DH who is gentle and loving. He worries about hurting me. I look forward to being able to have sex without suffering for it for 2 days afterwards!
Unread 10-04-2005, 09:49 AM

I was petrified, but I learned that it was not as horrifying an experience as I made it out to be. I think being scared and apprehensive are unfortunately all part of the process. Try to relax as much as possible, and remember that most women do just fine. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register