Risk of heart disease | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Risk of heart disease Risk of heart disease

Unread 10-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Risk of heart disease

I had my TAH on September 15th and my Dr. prescribed Estradiol. I was only expecting to lose one ovary, not both. I am so confused now! I can't seem to get the answers I'm looking for and maybe I'm not asking specific enough questions to my Dr.

I come from a history of heart disease on my mother's side of the family and strokes from my father's side of the family so reading the side effects of estrogen really freak me out. I always said (before my surgery) that when I went though menopause I would do it naturally, like my mother did. Now that I'm faced with surgical menopause, I'm not sure what to think.

Does anyone know or have read or heard the statistics on heart disease/strokes with HRT and without HRT? Is it higher if you don't take it or does taking it increase your risks?

I think I can deal with the annoying side effects (hot flashes, etc.) naturally but I'm more concerned about long term effects to my health.

If anyone can give me some insight on this, PLEASE DO!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Risk of heart disease

Here is some information about hrt and heart disease:

http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/hrt.asp#Heart

Hrt is only recommended for hot flashes and sweats for a short period of time. It should not be given for bone or heart health. There are other medications and treatments less risky that can be given for heart and bones.

s
Unread 10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Risk of heart disease

Unless you have a specific risk like a previous history of blood clots, the risk is statistically quite low with HRT, but it is raised. On the flip side, it's very clear that there is a large increase in risk after menopause. They were sure hrt would make that better and so the jury is still out on what the heck the real story is.

There is some evidence that the increse in coronary artery events with HRT occurs in older women and that the risk is lower in younger women just making the transition.

Soooo, if your doctor is comfortable with your risk assessment, you probably have time to stay on it and weigh your options and not to panic. Some women stay on hrt after surgery for a limited time so that they gently lower their levels down and then go off it since some of the hot flashes etc are because of fluctuations in hormone levels and the severe drop from surgical menopause can knock you for a loop. Some people settle on a really low dose. And some women have no trouble at all with weaning down to no dose.

There's a serious history of strokes on both sides of my family. I've been on very low dose of estrace for five years and my blood pressure and cholesterol are low.

Of course, I got serious about exercise, low salt, low saturated and transfats, and more veggies--and that's the real answer whether you wean off or stay on.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Risk of heart disease

Happened to think--I've been collecting various studies in a single thread...

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...15#post1495915
Unread 10-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Risk of heart disease

music lover, You don't mention your age. I am linking you to this article because it outlines what our ovaries do for us at all ages. I realize your ovaries are gone. Mine are too. The article will emphasize the importance to the hormones our ovaries produce and why it would be important to maintain some level of hormones. Rational for Ovarian Conservation by Donna Shoupe MD
ERT replacement needs at various ages are important considerations. The WHS I applied to women who were an average age of 61 or so and had not been on ERT prior to the study. Many of the women in this study probably already had some heart disease. The study concluded that ERT will not reverse heart disease. For these women ERT is not reccommended. This study does not apply to premenopausal women who are experiencing a surgical menopause. For these women oophorectomy without ERT does cause significant increased osteoporosis and heart disease as well as the other problems that the article outlines. Poor compliance with hormone replacement therapy is often a problem for these women because they are afraid of it. Might be a good idea to print out the article and discuss it with your doctor.
Unread 10-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Risk of heart disease

Thank you everyone for the input and the links.
By the way, I am 46.
SuzyQ23, what other treatment/options are you talking about to treat heart disease?
Unread 10-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Risk of heart disease

Preventing heart disease is the best course. Lifestyle becomes the major factor in disease prevention. Diet and exercise are cornerstones of prevention. Maintain a healthy weight with a diet emphasizing fruits, vegetable, complex carbohydrates(whole grains, beans etc.), low fat. Don't smoke- if you do quit. Maintain an active lifestyle with regular daily exercise. Maintain normal blood pressure.
Unread 10-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Risk of heart disease

Great advice Pearle... I did quit smoking almost 3 years ago - now I'm working on getting some weight off and regular exercise program. I know it all helps, even the small changes!
Unread 10-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Risk of heart disease

If the dr sees from tests that are taken that there is a problem or a need, there are medications like cholesterol lowering drugs, blood pressure medicine, blood thinners, etc. that may help prevent disease or problems. I have a friend that has irregular heartbeats and she takes some kind of medication for that. Sometimes dr want their patients to take a baby aspirin a day for prevention. I would talk to the dr and ask about taking this to be sure it is okay. In some people aspirin may be irritating to the stomach.

I have to be careful and watch my cholesterol. It has gone up in the last few years. My Dad who was a heavy smoker has had blockages and stints put in and is on Lipitor and Plavix. I am not taking any medication at this point. I am very religious about diet and exercise, which is keeping mine in a good range and ratio.

Here is a good site for women and heart disease:

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/heartdis.htm#1

s

Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register