pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-10-2005, 10:10 AM
pain meds

Just wondering if anyone has a problem with refills of
your pain meds not being effective. I've notice that when I get a refill somtimes that particular bottle of
pills just don't do what the previous ones did. As a matter-of-fact my Dr. increased the strength of my
hydrocodone from 7.5 to 10 and the 10's were about
like a 5 I had some of the 7.5's left and so I went back
to them because they were more effective, I have an
appt. with my Dr. today and I would like to mention
it to her, but I am afraid that because of the sensitivity
surrounding narcotics, it will be weird, already feel
wierd just asking for pain meds, I have been on them
now for a year for chronic pain, and I can tell the difference in some of these prescriptions. Has anyone
else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2005, 02:02 PM
pain meds

Are you opting for generic brands over name brands? This could explain the difference: I've found that, in some batches, generic brands may not have contained the same amount of meds.
Unread 10-10-2005, 02:12 PM
pain meds

yep - especially with hydrocodone - I've noticed a huge difference. But the biggest difference was one time I made the mistake of going to a different pharmacy - and they used a different brand (generic) altogether - oh boy - it was like taking baby asprin. I called the pharmacist - and you would have thought I'd accused him of giving me baby asprin (which I did not) he was very defensive - and quite rude. (haven't been back there since). But I literally had to take 2 of those to equal one of the other. That was bad - cause of course that meant I was out in half the time.

I've been on 10's for several months now - and they are starting to not work........ I hate to think about what might be after them. I hope and pray that there will be a day when we can all give up our narcotics.

Take care!
s
Cortney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
pain meds

Hydrocodone and I do not like each other. Having said that, why not ring up the pharmacist and ask him/her about it? You don't have to give your name, just make the inquiry. It is possible (even if remote ..we hope) that the pills placed in your bottle are not the proper dose. I know, perish the thought, but since I just endured a med error in the castle, I KNOW things like this can happen!

Unread 10-10-2005, 04:11 PM
pain meds

I have also used a different pharmacy with a different
generic, and it was a huge difference, as soon as I took
one of the pills I knew it was different, I became very
sick, and when it started to wear off I became very
agiatated, I checked with the pharmacy and he told me
the generic name. Then I went to my regular pharmacy
and was told that the generic they use is the same co.
that makes the brand name, and I haven't had any of
those bad experiences that I mentioned, but the effectiveness can be different. I know for sure with this
10 that I have had to take one and a half, and still not
get the effectiveness as I did with the last 7.5, and I do
have a slight allergy to it if I take a little too much, and
so I know that it is difinitely not strong enough because
I have absolutely no itching or nervousiness when I take
that much. It is so frustrating because the pharmacies
just blow you off, saying that they are scanned. So Dany
why do you think that the brand name has more of a
consistancy? I have even had some that felt like it had
aspirin or ibuprophen in them instead of acetaminophen. If I thought that the brand name would
be more consistent I would be glad to pay for it, because I have to go all month with this stuff, I know it
is not a tolerance because I had some of the 7.5 left and
took it and it actually work better than the 10's. What is
a person to do, the pharmacy won't believe you, or change anything.
Unread 10-10-2005, 04:14 PM
pain meds

Thanks to everyone who has responded, at least it gives me a little
validation, there is such a sensitivity regarding these pain meds, that
you are scared to say anything, there is such a stigma attached.
Unread 10-10-2005, 04:35 PM
pain meds

Yes, I had that problem with the generic darvocet N100 when my pharmacy changed manufacturers. I had some of the old pills left and brought them in because I thought they gave me the wrong pills! That's when they told me that they switched manufacturers. I searched around at other pharmacies and finally located one that still used the old manufacturer.

I've since went back to my old pharmacy and now they work for me with none of the ill side effects I was having. I'm not sure what changed, or if my body just changed.
Unread 10-11-2005, 03:04 PM
pain meds

All generics are not created equal! I take both Hydrocodone and Soma and have noticed that the ones manufactured by Watson work so much better than any of the others. I'm in a bind right now because my contract with my PM states that I'll get all my meds at one pharmacy. I can't find a pharmacy that carries the Watson for both meds...seems it's either one or the other. Like you said, there is such a sensitivity about narcotics that it's difficult to talk to the doc about something like this.
Unread 10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
pain meds

Hi ladies...
I have been on pain medications of one kind or another for about six years now. That said, if I remember correctly, the 7.5 hydrocodones have 750 milligrams of acetominophen whereas the 10's only have 500 milligrams. There are also 10 milligram hydrocodones that only have 325 milligrams of acetaminophen. This may be why you are experiencing the difference. I also have used generics of several different medications that did not work as well as the name brand. Maybe your doctor could order something by its name brand? Good luck.

Willow

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register