Carcinoma in Situ...??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Carcinoma in Situ...??? Carcinoma in Situ...???

Unread 10-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

Hi everyone...

I am new here and this is my first real post other than my intro. A couple of weeks ago I had an abnormal PAP so my doc scheduled me for a Colposcopy (sp). That was a real party ...NOT! Anyway, he just called today and the biopsy results showed Carcinoma in Situ which he said was the stage right before cancer. Is this what many term "precancer"? He wants to schedule me for a Cone Biopsy and a D & C very soon - I would say this week or next - still waiting on the call from the lady that schedules this. Can anyone tell me first of all, the recovery time, as I have active kids that rely on me for almost everything (I will need to have them make other plans for that time) and I also work full time and will need to schedule time off. I am a big wuss when it comes to pain and it seems painful just reading about it. Oh yes, he did mention that I would want to have a hystorectomy eventually - why not just that instead? I would have asked him but he left a message on my cell phone and by the time I got it, his office was closed. We are also dealing with possible Bladder Cancer for our baby boy ( 8 year old Boxer dog)...we are praying his is just an infection! One family can only deal with so much at once so any help with my concerns would be much appreciated.

Love & Hugs~

Kristi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

Carcinoma in situ is precancer, Wabbit, it is not cancer. A cone biopsy is done for diagnostic (and staging, if necessary) purposes prior to hysterectomy. My understanding is that in these circumstances, it should be done -- should not proceed straight to hysterectomy. About the D&C I have no knowledge. It is done some places while others, I believe, do hysterograms or other procedures instead.

I am scheduled for cone bx myself Friday so I will look forward to reading answers/advice here from more experienced customers.
Unread 10-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

I had a cone, lap and d & c in May and was not allowed to lift for 6 weeks. I also couldn't drive for a week or two.
Hope this helps some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

That does help some! I am also scheduled for a Cone on Friday (followed Rhodaruen here)
I am nervous too...and I want it all out with a Hyster.
I won't feel safe until then...ya know?
Unread 10-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

I had a cone and D&C on a Wednesday and took off Thursday and Friday. Went back to work on Monday without any problems. My doc told me I didn't have to take off any time but encouraged me to do so. I do a lot of lifting in my job, but was not given any lifting restrictions other than to try to take it easy the first 2 weeks (I lift some pretty heavy stuff). I was able to drive and do all of my regular activities after the cone. Though if you have general anesthesia, you won't be able to drive for 24 hours.

The cone biopsy is an important diagnostic tool. It will ensure that there is no cancer present. That's an important thing because if there is cancer hiding out, then different surgical techniques are used if it is determined that a hysterectomy is indeed needed. The cone biopsy is typically the only treatment needed for cervical dysplasia and 90% of women are considered cured after their cone. You should not assume that you will require a hysterectomy, and if one is recommended, I strongly suggest that you get a second opinion before proceeding.

There seems to be some debate about whether or not carcinoma-in-situ is really cancer or not. In my own mind, and in the minds of my gyn and gyn/onc, it is not cancer. This is a precancerous condition which has a 100% survival rate. Some people believe that it should be called a noninvasive cancer since literally CIS means "cancer in place". But I can tell you that even some early stage cervical cancers are treated successfully with a cone biopsy and no additional treatment.

Good luck! Let us know how things go or if you have additional questions.

Unread 10-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

Thank you so much for your replies...I am feeling a bit better at this point. Anyway, I am scheduled for Thursday at 12:00 so good luck to all of you that are going through this as well. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs~

Kristi
Unread 10-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

Keep us updated on your dog, Kristi. I'm a fellow dog-lover, and I consider my sweet little Cleo my baby, so I understand how heart-breaking it is when they get sick. I'll be praying.
Unread 10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

Hello- hope you cone goes well.
For me, the surgery was easy- I don't remember any of it! After I woke up from anesthesia, I was a bit crampy. My doc gave me a prescription for vicodin and I took one when I got home. I think it helped as the cramping went away a few hours afer the procedure (didn't take any more vicodin though- I couldn't sleep at all with it!)
The receovery was ok. I felt fine the next day. I too had a 25 lb lift restriction for 4 weeks (which meant I couldn't work)so I had a four week vacation. I was able to start back with light workouts (walking) a week after the procedure (dr. didn't want me to run. I also had some discharge for about a week starting a couple of days after the procedure- it's good to have some extra pads around. Cone biopsies are often "curative" for women with CIS. They are much easier to recover from, less expensive, and have far fewer complications than a hysterectomy- which is why they are done first. For many women- the CIS is removed with the biopsy and either does not return or returns many years later (which is why it is still important to continue with follow up paps). If the margins of the biopsy are not clear then further action will be decided between you and the doctor. As someone else mentioned, if invasive cancer is found on the biopsy- staging can be done and again, other options can be discussed.

here are some good websites that I found while researching before i had the biopsy:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/co...l_cancer_8.asp
http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...n_000046_9.htm
http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...n_000046_9.htm
Unread 10-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

I just got off of the phone with my doc and he says for me, the hysterectomy is inevitible but depending on what the Cone Biopsy shows is what determines on whether I have a radical hysto or a normal vaginal hysto. Either way, it is going to happen this month. I have Adenocarcinoma (glandular) which is the rarest of the two types according to him. It is still pretty much Greek to me but I do trust my doctor so I am leaving it in the hands of the Lord to guide him.

Kristi
Unread 10-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Carcinoma in Situ...???

I am so glad you have some answers now!
I was glad to get more info. on me today also.
Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register