? about Neurontin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about Neurontin ? about Neurontin

Unread 10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
? about Neurontin

So, I'm just curious...I just started Neurontin a little over a week ago and it is helping with my CPP. So since it is helping does that mean I do have nerve damage?

I started with a new physical therapist today, and I do agree my pelvic muscles, and all my body muscles for that fact, are tight. But my pelvic muscles we're THAT tight (there were only 2 spots that were kind of ouchie) but that was NOT my pain and I kept trying to tell her that. So at the end she said she didn't think I had nerve damage. But I disagree...when my dr presses with a qtip on my cuff it sends me through the roof. Unlike the PT that pressed on the muscles and I said yeah that's uncomfortable. Since I just had my 2nd surgery, which did get rid of one of the pains (adhesions pulling on the cuff), but the central pain in the cuff is still here (this is my demon). The PT doesn't go up enough to touch the cuff so she doesn't see my real pain.

So what am I supposed to think/believe?

Signed a confused Rubystar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2005, 08:35 AM
? about Neurontin

Hi Rubystar -

I wish I had some answers for you - but instead only have questions - My PM doc just put me on Neurontin, too. I haven't started taking it yet - but need to. (I'm dragging my feet about starting another med........I know, I'm bad) Have you noticed any side effects with yours? I am switching from Topamax to this - and the topamax had some unusual side effects. (Couldn't drink soda - make it taste flat...yuck!)

I'm sorry that you are still struggling with your demon. I know how bad it can be. I hope that you find the relief you are searching for. Please take it easy - and keep us posted.

s
Cortney
Unread 10-11-2005, 10:04 AM
? about Neurontin

I am on neurontin 300mg 3x per day. I've been taking it since May. Originally I couldn't tell much difference w/ my pain issues and I have dealt w/ some side effects-sleepiness, brain fog/forgetfulness, slight weight gain and tingling joints. There's also unexpected benefits no migranes and no fever blisters. In Aug. my pm dr. added the med cymbalta and together they have started relieving the pain. The cymbalta has even more side effects-more fatigue, more zoned out feeling and no appetite, but that leveled out some after about 6 weeks. If the neurontin is working for you I'm glad to hear it, from all I've read it is really popular now. A friend of mine takes it for nerve damage in his neck and he says it definately helps him. It was prescribed to me for my adhesion/scar tissue pain which dr. said had "trapped nerves" involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2005, 12:02 PM
? about Neurontin

Hey Courtney,

Thanks for your reply. I have been on it a little over a week now. I started with 300mg (1 day) now I've gone to 2/day or 600mg. Next week I will up it to 3/day or 900mg. So far all is good, no brain fog, dizziness or sleepiness. Although I do notice that I want to eat more...sad :cry: BUT I do notice that it has helped my pain immensely. I feel like I'm not so desperate to take my pain meds. The way I describe it is I was on a roller coaster before, now I'm on the kiddie roller coaster....not such big ups and downs. I still have pain, it's just not as bad. My nightstand has turned into a pharmacy, so I know exactly what your talking about. For the last 6 months I have put off taking the Neurontin because of the side effects, but pretty much out of desperation, I decided to give it a try. You might as well try it...if it doesn't work then you wean yourself off...but at least you can say you tried it.

Dixiet, I'm sorry that you are having to take both Neurontin and Cymbalta...but at least you have finally found something that works for you. Talk about tough...having the side effects of both of those meds together, it's amazing you can get out of bed AND have your brain work. Good for you!

Update...just got back from my anestheologists office and next Monday we are going to do a saciata nerve block. He will do 6-8 injections on/around the tailbone. He said we should know within a few hours if it works or not. Then he said he wants me to try to do anything to irritate the area...that way we will know if it truely works. Again, it's worth a try...almost anything to get rid of the pain and get back to a "normal" life. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Unread 10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
? about Neurontin

I am really interested in this post!! I've been in PM for a year now for CMP, SI joint dysfunction and adhesions. I take Lodine 2x daily, Lortab 5mg 4x daily, Soma 3x daily, Tofranil 25 mg 1x daily and Zoloft 50 mg 1x daily. I have also had 3 sets of SI injections and 1 set of TP injections. This has helped my pain, but I still think it could be controlled better. Now that the weather is cooling down my pain is increasing and I'm afraid of what this winter will bring. My PM doc is hesitant to increase the Lortab and I'd rather try another (non-narcotic) route. Cymbalta and Nuerontin are 2 meds that have been mentioned to me by others in chronic pain as viable alternatives. I am interested in getting my hands on as much info and feedback on these as possible before my next PM appoint.

s to all of those in pain!
Unread 11-08-2005, 06:04 AM
? about Neurontin

My doc had me on Neurontin for a little bit since I couldn't work with the pain I was having. I don't have nerve damage, just pain that, until recently, was a puzzle to both my doctor and myself. The way the pharmacist explained it to me is that Neurontin works to block the message of pain to the brain just as a regular pain killer would, but it also numbs the nerves a bit too. That creates less pain. Cymbalta (sp?) is an antidepressant. The pharmacist told me that the combo of Neurontin and an antidepressant (I take Paxil CR) will work to increase the pain control (and tiredness) than the Neurontin alone.
And if your PT isn't going high enough, tell her. If she won't listen, have your doctor tell her. But keep sending the message until it finally sinks in or ask for a different PT.
Unread 11-08-2005, 01:46 PM
? about Neurontin

I'm on my 2nd day of Cymbalta and keeping my fingers crossed that it helps with my pain control.
Unread 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM
? about Neurontin

I take both Cymbalta, Neurontin and the Duragesic patch and have recently switched from Neurontin to its newer form, Lyrica,which I prefer as I find it less sedating but the triple cocktail works to just about eliminate my nerve pain. PM doc gives me Adderall to counteract fatigue. Talk about a walk-in pharmacy.
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:19 PM
? about Neurontin

I just started Neurontin 300mg 3 x a day for 5 days, then 600mg 3 x a day. It is for bad back pain that hits out of no where. I had my fusion surgery a month ago and should be much better by now. My surgeon started me on the neurontin yesterday. I am also on Lexapro, so I hope to get relief soon. I had 8 procedures done during my fusion surgery. I had nerves decompressed. My mri looked great yesterday with no nerve damage. MY dr thinks I may have nerves misfiring causing me to feel this pain. He is hoping this neurontin will help me. I can't be functionable with this kind of pain.
I am hoping for a good outcome with this med.
Peggy
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:53 PM
? about Neurontin

Peggy, you poor thing, you have just been through the ringer. I sure hope you get some relief with the Neurontin..I know it has really helped me out. I'm on 300 mg/3x/day but I'm seeing my dr in a couple of weeks and will talk about increasing the dosage although between the Zoloft, Norco & Neurontin I'm in a much better place than I used to be...but I am dealing with eternal tiredness because of the meds. I'd still rather deal with that than the pain.

My sincerest hopes that this road soon ends for you. I'm having to come to terms that I am probably going to have to deal with the pain for the rest of my life...sad.

Big 's to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register